The Sandman Comic Book

In retrospect, is it really that good?
Avoid talking about the show. The board will likely become unusable from all the threads soon anyway.
No, I'm not watching it.

Attached: the-sandman.jpg (1200x676, 97.67K)

>In retrospect, is it really that good?
I have to say yes, it's pretty good, especially the part where the carved up face calls out the tranny for being a man in a dress in Game of You and the fact that the Moon hates troons.

Pretty good, but overrated when people tout it as "the best comic of all time"
>Avoid talking about the show. The board will likely become unusable from all the threads soon anyway.
>No, I'm not watching it.
Nobody asked.

Yes, Gaiman is one of the few writers that actually know how to write good characters and give them personality.
>the best comic of all time
But sandman has almost no competition in his branch, that's why it has remained the king of fantasy

>but overrated when people tout it as "the best comic of all time"
Give me a better one.

Watchmen

Yeah, I really like it. Something about it feels truly mythical in a way I can't quite explain.
For example, I read it mostly out of order except for the final two collections and everything still made sense to me. That's gotta count for something.

>Watchmen
The giant squid will always drag down the comic

On #31 rn actually, and it’s okay. I was expecting something extremely good with how people hype it up, but it’s just good. not magnificent or a masterpiece.

>is it really that good?
Yes, if you read any of the big two comics currently, reading sandman is most likely gonna make you wonder why are you wasting your time reading those.

Disagree.
>currently
Most any well-liked comic from before ten years ago reads better than a current comic.

I'd argue that one of the things that make it work is the ending, it's a solid ending, maybe not perfect, not the best of best but it's solid. And considering how many comics and manga out there with good stories but dogshit endings are you realize why sandman will always be a solid graphic novel

One of its downsides is that it's Gaiman comic and not a Gaiman and his collaborator's comic. A comic driven by its writing than its comic book storytelling.

>hating the reason that the world is saved forever
What, would you rather it be a big blue shockwave?

>>hating the reason that the world is saved forever
I hope you're being sarcastic, user.

>What, would you rather it be a big blue shockwave?
Yes, Snyder approach work better than the squid, there I said it

Yes, it's one of the best comics.

It's brave to admit that you're stupid, user. Bravo.

Snyder movie lover detected.

Yeah, it's pretty good. Gaiman's strengths as a writer are in tone and voice, and he always does better at imaginative short stories than longer plots.
Since the comic is basically an episodic anthology with a loose overarching plot, and the rotating stable of artists means the book's heavily reliant on Gaiman unifying it all through a unique tone, it plays completely to his strengths and it works fantastically. So yeah, it's pretty damn good. I wouldn't say it's the absolute best, but it deserves a mention

has anyone watched the show yet? I'm morbidly curious

Yes. It was overrated but that’s because its fans were nuts about it, not because it isn’t a damn good comic.