X-Treme X-Men

>sexy art
>globe trotting adventure, aliens, etc.
>fan favorite characters
>diversity without patting itself on the back about it
As a kid, I enjoyed reading trades of this at the library way more than Morrison's New X-Men. It's still underrated in my view.

Attached: X-Treme_X-Men_Vol_1_9.jpg (2063x3075, 1.63M)

I read bits of this as a child; that artwork brings back a lot of memories. I remember there being a comfy Christmas issue.

>X-Treme X-Men
Only read it when it got turned into Uncanny X-Men. Should put this on my backlog then.

>sexy art
Art is just kinda typical of it's era but with hotter drawn chicks but ruined cuz has no inking, so coloring is just on top of pencils which doesn't work.

>Art is just kinda typical of it's era but with hotter drawn chicks but ruined cuz has no inking, so coloring is just on top of pencils which doesn't work.
The sheen of the digital colors really popped in the TPBs I read back in the day.

I'm pretty sure I busted some tween nuts to this particular spread.

Attached: X-Treme X-Men #15 - Page 6.jpg (2048x1548, 679.84K)

back when Larocca was actually decent, before he started tracing bullshit for Iron Man

X-Treme X-Men peaked with this cover.

Attached: RCO001_1469202118.jpg (1073x1600, 314.81K)

>before he started tracing bullshit for Iron Man
I think he started it earlier, on Newuniversal, really liked his work until then.

>when Larocca was actually decent

This run hit me at an impressible time in my life. Like with JRJR's early 2000s Spider-Man work I don't understand why people shit on him now. He seems consistent to me, but I imagine you take lots of shortcuts with that many deadlines. Maybe nostalgia makes me biased.

Fuck, that's a great image. There was this apparent undercurrent of a more sophisticated adult sexuality (particularly the Rogue/Gambit and Jean/Ororo stuff) the series seemed to have, and it made me feel like I was breaking the rules to read it as a kid.

Attached: X-Treme X-Men #23 - Page 1.jpg (979x1522, 235.8K)

>Should put this on my backlog then.
Apparently Claremont was on Uncanny again before the books split into two series. Some of the Destiny stuff is set up in that.

Attached: x-100 cover.jpg (970x509, 194.21K)

Chuck Austen unironically was better than Morrison and Claremont at the time, their autistic fanbase harassed him out of the industry

>but ruined cuz has no inking, so coloring is just on top of pencils which doesn't work.
I think it words very well and is really unique.

>Chuck Austen unironically was better than Morrison and Claremont at the time
That's a real backhanded compliment given the absolute state of the X-Men books at the time. X-Treme X-Men was at least being carried by the art and Larocca being fully in synch with Claremont wanting to focus the book around sexy girls fighting villains.

Austen's X-Men had serious, glaring flaws, but it did also have it's good points, especially his handling of Juggernaut.

>I don't understand why people shit on him now
I don't think his usual Marvel is bad but goddamn he was horrible on Star Wars. I think the way his stuff that was colored is also bad. Seems the superstar colorists of the 90s and 00s are long gone.

also the sweet manga art for a few issues

If a new Austen Juggernaut comic was announced I'd be legitimately hyped.

Love both of those Grey & Storm outfits sadly the Storm was a robot/clone or something.

>Love both of those Grey & Storm outfits sadly the Storm was a robot/clone or something.

For me, it's Rogue's costume. There was an arcade beat em up style Game Boy Advance game that was released in 2001 called Reign of Apocalypse, and Rogue wore that suit in it. Her walking animation was very fanservicey and she had a very effective headbutting attack.

Attached: x-men-reign-of-apocalypse-03.png (960x640, 55.28K)

Gonna read the first issue, hope that I don't really have to really have read the Uncanny and X-Men Claremont was writing right before this

Attached: X-Treme X-Men (2001-2003) 001-000.jpg (2063x3075, 1.61M)

Oh yeah, those issues looked great, I remember being disappointed it only lasted about five issues after Marvel hyped it up so much.

>Gonna read the first issue, hope that I don't really have to really have read the Uncanny and X-Men Claremont was writing right before this

An omnibus of the first part of the run is coming this year. It was pretty self contained IIRC.