You punks know nothing about cartooning

You punks know nothing about cartooning
It's about bristol board and #2 pencils and brushes and india ink and brill cream in your hair, wearing a suit and tie while you work 10 hours straight, smoking all day and knocking off a couple of scotches at lunch, it's about hiring a couple of guys better than you to do the work for you, while you sign your name to it and make them clock out to sharpen their pencil, it's about driving you peers to commit suicide
that's the life of a cartoonist, punks

Attached: al capp.png (506x586, 324.7K)

Sounds like a based life

Cartooning is about inbetweening for free expecting you may get some exposure or credit.

>2022
>not using digital

get with the times grandpa

>1952
>not hiring Frank Frazetta to draw it for you

don't tell me about cartooning, punk

Attached: Al-Capp (1).jpg (650x621, 77.36K)

Is that a daily strip Lil Abner panel that guy is working on?
Is that how fucking big they drew them?

You guys are as bad as the trad artists that shit on digital. Results are what matters. The real difference is that digital guy has no original art to sell.

I think it varied, because I've seen pics of other newspaper originals and they were about what you would expect. He may not even be drawing a strip. I think that guy is Frazetta, btw.

So I read Dave Sim's The Strange Death of Alex Raymond and it made it look like cartoonists on the level of Raymond, Caniff or Foster were basically superstars.
Looking at how rich Bill Watterson got off of Calvin & Hobbes, I can understand that.

Yeah, I read that Raymond owned a fifty room mansion on LI.

That pic in particular might be a promotional one, but year they worked on huge sizes back in the day.A prince Valiant original page is like 33 by 24 inches. for comparison's sake, modern comics tend to be worked on at 11x17/10x16 size

Attached: prince valiant .jpg (2063x3000, 1.59M)

Goddamn that top right face is good

Yeah, when people wonder why american comics aren't like manga, they're ignorant to the fact that US comics strips WERE that widely read and were making superstars. The problem is, tv and the lack of a commuter culture and extended screentime killed the medium's influence.

Even today, when people wonder why American comics don't have the variety of manga--its all in the strips. Yes, there's plenty of indie comics out there, but strips never really lost the genres like comics did for a long time.

It is, but keep in mind Foster got to basically spend a day working on a single panel. So he really made the most out of it.

>Yeah, when people wonder why american comics aren't like manga, they're ignorant to the fact that US comics strips WERE that widely read and were making superstars.
I feel like you're doing apples and oranges when the only anons who "wonder" about popularity are simply into the latest FOTM anime based on a manga that makes their dicks feel funny.

Damn. How long do modern cartoonists get for a page?

What a nonsensical reductionist statement

Like 2 hours

It depends but to break even you'll probably need to do 22 pages a month, plus very likely commissions, for 10-12 months of the year.
In other words, about a page a day if you have a 5 day work week and take weekends off or for other things.
Bigger name artists can get away with less by having a higher page rate, or float on commissions and residuals.
Page rates have dropped in comics, though.

Yours too buddy.

>#2 pencil

Attached: darkseid lol.jpg (204x247, 14.1K)