Why wasn't Clarence as successful as Craig of the Creek?

Why wasn't Clarence as successful as Craig of the Creek?

Attached: 1630130258088.jpg (818x460, 42.97K)

Uglier character designs.

The Skyler Page controversy in Season 1 put a major hamper on the show. Didn't help the show was put on hiatus by Cartoon Network to both cool down from the controversy and for the crew to find out what to do now as the creator has been fired.

Attached: viper ready and willing.png (201x254, 111.17K)

I heard Skylar didn’t do much with the show aside from creating the concept and voicing the character.
All that heart was by the Patrick Harpin and the team all this time.

These are the two biggest reasons.
It's such a damn shame. Clarence deseved so much better

>The Skyler Page controversy
What was it?

>weird art style turned some people away (Clarence's design especially)
>was airing at the peak of serialized dramas being praised over all other cartoons
>Skyler Page controversy
Take your pic. Also CN no doubt pulled some strings to ensure Craig of the Creek would become the face of their network just so they could pat themselves on the back for having an African American lead and plenty of LGBT+ characters. CotC itself does well enough and has amassed a decent following, but you can't tell me its success was entirely natural. Mao Mao, OK K.O.!, and Infinity Train get scrapped real quickly, but CRAIG gets 5 seasons, a spin-off, and a movie? Some clear bias going on.

Attached: toffany.png (1280x825, 967.76K)

I doubt it. Because TLH went through that same shit and the show is still fresh on everyone’s mind.

I don't recall there being any notably long hiatus for the show. The crew figured things out and found a perfect replacement for Skyler's voice-over roles surprisingly quickly. You wouldn't even know anything went down if you paid no attention to the series credits or to animation news at the time.

Attached: 1523408582307.jpg (1000x733, 87.3K)

*ahem*
Craig of the Pronouns

Clarence was canceled because he's a sexual deviant with a violent streak who murdered (allegedly) two LGBT mothers and burned a nursery ward
Nigga's got problems (allegedly)

Attached: 1657555321837.gif (360x270, 1.26M)

>Some clear bias going on.
Favoritism is the word I meant to use. Never in a million years would I have expected Craig to become the face of Cartoon Network, yet here we are. Good show, but it bums me out that we had to lose so many other promising shows in the process.

Attached: CNS Summer 2017.jpg (900x1100, 180.37K)

racism

Wasn't there a massive kerfuffle behind the scenes where the creator was being touchy-feely with women?

CotC is just a more likable and heartwarming show, and the acclaim it got for having a diverse cast and crew + being created by the head writers of Steven Universe easily made it a priority for CN to keep going. on the surface, Clarence is just another comedy cartoon with dumb humor and a fat boy protag. there's nothing about it that immediately stands out as special

IIRC he groped an Adventure Time crew member at a party. Page also was a lazy showrunner who took credit for episodes he hadn't even written or boarded, and he just generally weirded some people out around the studio. His bipolar disorder might've had a hand in that, and I imagine becoming a showrunner at such a young age made the power go to his head.

I don't think he's burned his bridges exactly since he's still found work afterwards and is still buds with plenty of people around the industry, but he likely won't ever sell a show again, definitely not to Cartoon Network.

Attached: Skyler Page.jpg (620x930, 358.87K)

Clarence had plenty of heart, but it had just as much weird experimental humor and an overall grungy nature on the surface. You had to enjoy the cute, nostalgic moments just as much as the kids' silly escapades and occasionally juvenile humor to really appreciate the show.

Kind of like how one can't really enjoy Rick and Morty if they're only in it for the lore and character drama. If you don't get Justin Roiland's crass humor, you won't be into it.

Attached: mystery girl.jpg (702x454, 44.52K)

Came out when serialized cartoons were the new thing, plus it’s designs filtered a lot of people who thought it was just another gross-out cartoon

I think Craig of the Creek looks uglier.

No, it wasn't any party, he groped a woman in an elevator but had been under increasing stress as Cartoon Network had given him no time to take care of himself. His breakdown was so bad his friends had to bring him to a hospital under some restraint. The woman he touched wasn't even the one to actually report him; one of her Twitter friends blabbed about it whereas the victim had understood Page's situation from the start.

Doesn't matter how you feel about the art style personally. Craig of the Creek has more conventionally appealing character designs than Clarence, with way more anime & video game influence. It's easy to see how Clarence might've scared potential viewers away with its intentionally weird designs.

Attached: creek kids.png (800x1200, 1.4M)

They both look absolutely horrendous, people just don't say it because of the race card, Craig looks like he has a tumor on his head.

CotC has a far more tolerable MC.

Yeah, this is a better way of putting it. Skyler Page was definitely unfit for a showrunner position. That job causes a lot of stress, even in more seasoned industry professionals who DON'T have any major mental illness. He either needed a more even partnership with a co-creator, or he was simply always better off aiding in a separate person's vision.

Attached: 1613213567149.png (640x360, 178.69K)

This. Clarence himself is a tricky character to make marketable both due to his design and since he's clearly mentally challenged. But if one gives the series a chance and sits down to actually watch an episode or two, they'd see how Clarence makes up for his pea brain with a big heart and a surprising amount of charisma. "Field Trippin'" and "Pretty Great Day with a Girl" show it best.

The problem is not many people gave the series that chance, either based on promos or the behind-the-scenes incident.

Attached: hop.gif (480x270, 150.21K)