Can someone explain the ken penders archie comic sonic debacle in a funny way...

Can someone explain the ken penders archie comic sonic debacle in a funny way? I literally have no idea what happened outside of the fact something happened. Ken Penders thinks he invented sonic or something?

Attached: file.png (640x437, 445.87K)

Other urls found in this thread:

theamazingsallyhogan.tumblr.com/post/68112487973/sonic-the-hedgehog-ken-penders-bioware
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

Ken cooked a Hot Pocket in the microwave and decided it would be a good origin for Knuckles. It all goes downhill from here.

>Ken owns rights to his characters he created, which is the kind of thing Any Forums applauds with anyone else (see Ed Edd n Eddy)
>Exercised his right to control his characters
>Sega corporate bootlickers have a mental breakdown that he dare defends his work against the shit that is Sega Japan that made Sonic Forces and Sonic Frontiers
That's about it, it's Any Forums siding with the woke companies fucking over creators

Two retards fought in court and one of them one.

It can be explained in a funny way, but bear in mind much of the humor stems from how stupidly complicated things got. It doesn't make for a short read.
theamazingsallyhogan.tumblr.com/post/68112487973/sonic-the-hedgehog-ken-penders-bioware

Old man made his own Sonichus and fought in court to prove they're legally distinct characters.

Of course one of them one, there's one of them.

>Penders works on the Archie sonic comics for a while
>Gets laid off eventually
>Sues Archie for ownership of the characters he created while working there
>Turns out Archie actually lost a bunch of their old contracts in a fire years ago
>Judge rules in favor of Penders
>Now Archie would have to pay him royalties if they want to use any of his characters
>Archie decides to just never use any of his characters again rather than pay him
>He starts trying to get other old sonic artists to sue as well
>Sega gets sick of this and pulls the comic license from Archie, gives it to IDW instead who start an entirely new series, completely divorced from the Archie comics
>All this happened right before the Archie comics would've hit their 300th issue too

Basically Penders created a bunch of characters and concepts for the Archie comics, work for hire, derived from existing characters. He saw things like a DS game using vaguely similar concepts so he sued. This should’ve been an easy victory for sega.. but they just ignored it for a long time. And when they did fight it, turned out Archie lost his contract.

FPBP.

Oh man he is not aging well.

>hey Lois, remember the time Ken Penders reworded a poem about the Holocaust to be about Sonic the hedgehog?

>Sega gets sick of this and pulls the comic license from Archie, gives it to IDW instead who start an entirely new series, completely divorced from the Archie comics
The series ended because of Archie actually, SEGA increased the price of the license (presumably for the 25th anniversary that year) and Archie declined because Sonic is "not really Archie" and so they could put all of their money into Riverdale (which ironically isn't very Archie either)

He ripped off Superman and other media but created many generic echidna characters.

lmao he straight up became an ugly bastard

>His characters
Colot Pallet swaps that literal children would make using the fill tool on ms paint isn't what I would call orginal characters but go off. Also before you say he still won the case that's because archie's legal team are retards

No one cares about his edgy color-swapped donut steeles

"Created" is a very generous term. He put sunglasses and a leather jacket on sonic and said "This is my original creation. His name is Evil Sonic"
By his logic if I make a color swap Lara-Su then I own her and he can't say shit.

If you don't think they had any value, then why are you shotting blood over the fact that he owns them?

Then why are you so mad when he took control of what he created

What are you raging autists even upset about?
A man created Sonic OCs for a licenced comic and retains ownership of them despite a lack of value to anybody to himself.
How does this hurt you or even Sonic the intellectual property in any way?

I'm not mad about him keeping his shitty characters(except scourge who I wouldn't even consider to be his character) I'm mad because his retardation means characters like shade and the nucturnus clan will never see the light of day a again

Those are just cheap knock offs of his own cheap knock offs you disingenuous faggot
Kill yourself, and make it hurt for being a retard who actually likes Bioware's dogshit sonic game

>Thinks I liked the game
Nah I just thought shade and the nocturnus clan was kinda of cool