Finally got around to watching Lightyear. I thought it was fine...

Finally got around to watching Lightyear. I thought it was fine. Nowhere near as good as the toy story films but not as bad as Cars 2.
I really found their choice for the person behnd the Zurg suit very weak balls.
They should have made the rookie from the beginning of the film Zurg instead.
>Not only did Buzz mispronounce his name, but he was disrespectful and devalued his skills.
>Okay bad first impression but at least Buzz is ultimately the dependable hot shot space ranger he heard so much about at the end of the day…NOPE! The next thing he does is fuck up the mission, crashes the ship and screws over humanity
>And for a double whammy, let's say that it's revealed that one of the Rookies' close friends and or family died in that crash. The line has officially been crossed.
>The rest of his evil bad guy origin is this: he'd dedicate his entire life to achieve the mission Buzz couldn't. However his proposed ideas get deemed too reckless and dangerous. So he steals a spaceship, finds abandoned alien technology and becomes Zurg and proceeds to go with his plan his way, and most importantly, plot sweet revenge against Buzz.

Attached: hqdefault (16).jpg (480x360, 46.91K)

>but not as bad as Cars 2.
Cars 2 is good though.

>designs are even uglier with the headgear on
kek

My issues with it:

It's based on a bright, cartoony franchise but looks dull, lifeless and muted. The designs are generally flat and nobody has a memorable or iconic design outside of Buzz himself, who already had one built in.

It completely shafts everyone who worked on or enjoyed Star Command by totally erasing any trace of it in favor of more "serious" modern movie tropes.

The new characters are totally uninteresting and unappealing. They're a bunch of bog standard humans with no stand-out characteristics that make them interesting or fitting with a sci-fi theme.

The film takes it's premise so seriously but doesn't offer much new or unique to justify it. It isn't like this is a brand new type of plot that Hollywood was never seen before.

The race/sexuality angles felt very understated and disposable, like they were always prepared to remove it at a moment's notice. Now only did it feel like obnoxious pandering, it also felt inauthentic.

dios mio

Pandering is always inauthentic because these companies genuinely don't give a fuck.

I just read a synopsis and the conflict makes my head hurt with how poorly thought out it is.

The very fact that the conflict is happening proves the "villain" is right and the "heroes" are dumbfucks worried about nonsense.

And the villain origin just smacks of cut plot threads, or worse, prequel bait.

Lightyear is a drab film with a bori g premise and lifeless main character voice acting.

It had abou zero% in common with ToyStory's Buzz.

>not as bad as Cars 2
Cars 2 was kino

I enjoyed the space aesthetics.

all i needed to know was that no aliens were showcased in the preview and i lost interest completely

the entire premise of sci fi kids toys is to face aliens, whether they be allies or enemies or both. boring humans are a snorefest for kids because if you take out the aliens, you better have some scenario where the actions of the main characters are based in technical know how and problem solving in a setting where humans have stopped going to war for resources

>Nowhere near as good as the toy story films but not as bad as Cars 2.
Cars 2 at least is fun to watch, even in the worst parts falls on the rule that is so bad thats good. Lightyear is not fun at all and is another deconstruction

They allude to aliens.
>It is later revealed that Zurg is actually controlled by a human inside, namely an elderly Buzz Lightyear from an alternate future, who found an abandoned alien spaceship already stocked with the Zurg armor, and simply took on the alien's identity, seeking to use the ship's technology to travel back in time and prevent the Star Command ship from crashing on T'Kani Prime.

Attached: Lightyear_concept_art_%2832%29.jpg (1024x632, 118.13K)

So the premise of the movie is that it's the movie that Andy and his friends saw that made them freak out to get a Buzz toy

Do you think this movie would be enough to make kids flip out and make Buzz a global toy craze?

Attached: toy-story-andy-buzz[1].jpg (615x344, 27.95K)

This, no kid in the 90s would've bought action figures from this shit.

>>Not only did Buzz mispronounce his name, but he was disrespectful and devalued his skills.

Space Incredibles?

nasa punk is kino

>This level of contrarianism
Cars 2 is a guilty pleasure for me but I'm not gonna pretend it isn't objectively poorly written rubbish made only to sell toys.

Look, this movie takes so much from Up it's almost a remake in space.

Not really. The space ranger suits were really cool, but the story was not great and wouldn't be the kind of thing kids would like. And I say this as someone who was in a theater with 2 birthday parties of children and a lot of families. They were bored by the time Buzz finally went to the Zurg ship. Socks was the only ting really holding their attention.

It was a strange movie experience. It felt like watching a collection of scenes where almost everything the writers pitched was made, but they never figured out how to thread all of these scenes together. Also they showed so little of the stranded colonists that they may as well have stayed in hypersleep.