Prisoners are supposedly Snively's minions

>Prisoners are supposedly Snively's minions
>King Max, when believing they died, calls it "tragic" anyway.

Did kids' comics really idealize "sympathy for the villains" that much back in the 90s or am I missing something here?

Attached: alsofromsonicissue70.jpg (568x1174, 216.33K)

>issue 70
It's your own fault for getting that far

Actually, it was just an old issue a childhood friend of mine gave me years back. I didn't even bring it with me to the town I moved to, I just wanted to look back on it for nostalgia's sake and noticed this aspect of it.

He's a King. It sends bad vibes if he starts laughing maniacally about people being boiled alive, Snively's minions or not.

It's called not being a sociopath. As far as King Acorn is aware, Snively and his minions were pawns under Robotnik's thumb who only served him out of fear or being misguided dupes. Being (at the time anyway) a noble and just king, criminals not getting a chance to be rehabilitated would be a tragedy to him.

But the series was written in the United States, a country notorious for putting "deterrence" over rehabilitation to the point of letting prisoners get raped and denying them jobs and welfare alike when they get out. If Americans care that much more about deterrence, and that much less about rehabilitation, than the rest of the world, why did comic writers think parents would want their kids to read something that pretends otherwise?

Well, for one; this is a fantasy comic book about talking animals based on a Japanese video game about a hedgehog who can run fast. American sociopolitics were not a core concern of this comic, believe it or not.

>If Americans care that much more about
You vastly overestimate the amount of power the average citizen, or even politician, has. All we can really do is vote for someone that we hope wins the party nomination. Then, when that runner inevitably loses, we begrudgingly vote for that party's nominee and hope that we get at least something out of it.

Is every thread just an excuse to try and talk about American politics

>wordswordswords
holy fucking shit why do americans do this?

Are those seriously too many words for you?

Are you autistic or something (you are reading Sonic comics) but that's a pretty normal neutral thing to say about people you don't like, it's unseemly especially for a king to start dancing on people's graves

About half of them, the other half always has someone trying to derail into American politics

Still, politicians competing for people's votes still keep this system in place. That says a lot about the public's share of the blame. Especially in comparison to, let's say, countries that put rehabilitation over deterrence.

Unfortunately this comic was infected and then killed by Ken Penders. He started it. He's the guy who rewrote a holocaust poem to be about Knuckles the echidna.
>Still, politicians competing for people's votes still keep this system in place.
Kind of. It's hard to change the systems we have in place, and that's by design. It takes cooperation, which is hard to come by. It's easy for senators, congress, etc. to just throw their hands up and say that fixing our broken systems are beyond their control. There is a bit of truth to it, but not as much as they'll insist.
I completely agree about how we need a less vindictive culture. It's just a daunting task. As a country, we're much more like Terry Gilliam's Brazil than 1984.

Except, with the possible exception of threads like these you can't even criticize this system without being accused of being a criminal yourself, as if wrongful convictions weren't a thing. The rhetoric wouldn't get to that point if it didn't reflect a deep-seated valuing of deterrence over rehabilitation on Americans' part.

So that still leaves the question, to bring it back full circle... what incentive would parents have to make sure their kids are reading something that idealizes rehabilitation, if the parents don't believe in it themselves?

Even if he considered them evil and deserving of death being boiled alive is a really fucked up way to go out.

I remember being so hype for Mecha Madness and Issue 50

They probably do believe it or alteast throw lip service towards. Not to mention the idea of being just and merciful is pretty en vogue even if not carried out. Despite what you say, nah most advocates for prison reform go unmolested, even the more radical ones who preach literal abolishment.

Is it ever specified what the "boiling oceans" were made of? If they were made of water you'd think there'd be a constant cyclone around the place. Is there anything to indicate it's specifically water, or might it be something other than water that only killed them by drowning them instead of burning them?

It's not about whether it's a core concern of this comic in and of itself. It's about whether whatever psychological traits of Americans lead to their system would also lead them to not want kids' comics calling villains' deaths "tragic."