What languages should you learn to appreciate Euro comics to their fullest?

So far French has taken me far, but maybe the Germans or Dutch have their gems reading too. Italy, Sweden, Russia, Spain, what notable comics do they have?

Attached: SpiroufullKL.jpg (1034x1881, 370.8K)

French and then maybe Italian, Spanish or Deutsch

Italian and French. You'll have most of the context with those two.

Being portuguese helps, because lots of Euro comics got translated to my language.

It honestly doesn't matter that much if we're strictly talking about latin vs germanic. If you know 1 European language it's not too difficult to infer certain words or meanings because of the sentence structure, grammar, vocabulary are often shared because they have the same root. Russian is harder because they use the cyrillic alphabet, but it's easy compared to Japanese where the language is almost completely foreign outside of English katakana and silly quirks like that.

I would say Italian, French, English are the best starting points in terms of how practical they are.

French is the top, I know Italian comics very well and I don't think people here would like anything. Maybe Rat-Man, Paperinik, Dylan Dog, and stuff like Dampyr. Not much else.
Not sure anybody would appreciate Andrea Pazienza or Buzzelli or Magnus just because of the pretty drawings.
Maybe Ranxerox for the "Uoooh" factor? Idk.

Comedy stuff is dated and somewhat mild, but it's a large part of it, nobody here would like Sturmtruppen, Maxmagnus, Cattivik, Altan's Colombo, Cocco Bill, Lupo Alberto.

I haven't read much recent stuff, I know "Rigor Mortis" exists, and it could be interesting.
I read most "Dentiblu" parodies, but they're pretty mediocre, it's at the level of Scary Movie.

In reality, it's all pretty schlocky.

I know NOTHING about German comics.

Attached: 1491844836442.jpg (918x1159, 400.45K)

What about Zagor and Tex?

French, Italian if you are into Disney and/or pulpy western comics.

I already answered you over on /aco/.

>Uoooh
Ranx does have a new english version though. And it's allegedly uncensored, unlike the Heavy Metal version where Lubna is totally 18 :^). Granted, I have no idea if "uncensored" also applies to the writing or if it's even shipped yet.

Thanks, but I was looking for more answers as well.

>Russian
LOL, no, unless you want to read kiddy Soviet shit with no real cultural, literary or artistic value, modern mid-tier at its very best garbage, or the admittedly entertaining, crazy, single issue, indie stuff from the Wild 90's that's while a unique oddity, just isn't worth it.

>German
Germans can't into anything imprecise, such as art, film or literature that's made for entertainment. Not that they don't have anything good, but there's shockingly little considering the size of their population.

>Dutch
They are something in-between Germans and Belgians. So they have good stuff, but not as good and less of it.

>Italians
They have some good stuff with nice art. A lot of it is more dramatic in nature, compared to American action or Belgian adventure-comedy orientation. But Italian is more worth it for their films, honestly, which are great, especially the comedies.

>Sweden
There are only a few titles, and I'm pretty sure everything worth anything was translated long ago.

>Spanish
Here you will get sheer volume since you'll also get South America. Quality varies greatly.

>German
Yeah, most things are imported regarding cartoons and comics. Either it is kids stuff, i mean obvious kids stuff like Maya the bee. Or it is artsy stuff like graphic novels or satirical drawings.

Why Germans can't into arts?

For the same reason spics like you can't into proper english sentence structure.

>spics

Bump

Attached: jeroom_bauknecht.jpg (800x759, 183.74K)

>the only word the average Any Forumsmrade will recognize is ladyboy, and he'll be left wondering what the fuck that strip is about
Devilish.

I don't know Dutch. But I'm guessing there's a woman out there, and they open the gates for her. But she's actually a ladyboy, so the guy closes the gates. But the ladyboy's got big breast implants, so the gates get opened again.

>I don't know Dutch
Me neither, but that's the gist of it as far as I can tell.

>i see a lass

>open the gate

>that's not a lass
>it's a ladyboy
>a dude

>close the gate

>with huge breast implants

>open the gate a little

French and Italian are the two big ones.

And "man", duh.
Well, you can recognise the "vrouw" as a distant relative of "Frau", but you'd have to know what that one is first.

They can. But it is either for kids or gag humor. It is much cheaper to buy international stuff.

Attached: F93EE816-7A31-42ED-A5C1-A36DC1CCC8B7.jpg (500x236, 34.13K)