Joker face

What the hell was this?
>DC realizes their comics are hard to get into
>plans an initiative to simplify everything and start fresh in the hopes of increasing readership
>Detective Comics #1: Joker slices his face off
>Death Of The Family event: Joker wears his sliced off face as a mask, incredibly bloody and disgusting and off-putting
>storyline requires you have read at least The Killing Joke and Death In The Family to understand it, includes the entire bat family with no explanation of who they are (remember, this was meant to appeal to normies)
>after the event ends, Joker has his face back with no explanation
>never bring it up again
???
What DC editor was okay with all this? The New 52 in general was a mess, but I can’t even fathom allowing this

Attached: Joker face.jpg (1170x545, 458.56K)

Jo Jo Jo Joker Face Jo Jo Joker Face

It's crazy that this shit wouldn't even make it in to the top twenty problems with N52. Christ it was such a clusterfuck.

Not only that, it was fairly well-received all things considered. I didn’t like it personally, but a lot of people did. You go into Barnes and Noble, go to the comics section, they’ll always have the book in stock. Sometimes in the big box with the mask
Thinking logically though, you’d wanna have Zero Year first, just to establish the new origin. And then you’d move on to some OC villain like the Court of Owls or whatever. And the Joker face wouldn’t even happen.
At least, I’d you’re going for “introduce normies to comics again”

Also, a homeless girl ran around wearing the discarded face as a mask for a while before Red Hood fixed her.

What the hell?

Lmao

Goddamnit underrated

That’s underselling it. She got the dude that cut the face off to sew it onto her own face, after eating part of it.

Joker's Daughter. They were setting her up a a hyper-disturbed Harley Quinn, lived in the sewers, used a scythe or a sickle or something as a weapon, loved to carve people open rather than kill them.

Never went anywhere because a) no one knew how to use her and b) they took the whole thing too far, taking it from edgy to literal serial killer journal shit.

Because it was all a gimmick to have new number 1 issues on the stand because they sell better. No thought was put into any of it because it would have required a level of planning beyond the skill of any of these people. The business people seem to make creative decisions these days and the creative people make business decisions.

>Put Grant Morrison on Action Comics as if that'll not confuse new readers.
>Batman Inc just carried on like nothing happened.
>Court of Owls was literally meant to be a Dickbats storyline and had to be changed to Bruce Wayne.
>Green Lantern carried on like nothing had happened.
>Justice League was full of bad characterisation.
>The "everything happened within 5 years continuity" thing.
>Trying to have 52 titles.

The stupid thing is, Brightest Day was practically a reboot anyway, it brought back Aquaman etc and Geoff Johns New 52 series would have basically been practically the same. Originally it would have brought back Animal Man too. Swamp Thing and Constantine appeared at the end of Brightest Day too. After Flashpoint they could have just continued on with their semi-reboot plans using the set up from Brightest Day but instead did the full reboot which was also a semi reboot.

>cut off his face
i guess he's somehow going to wear someone else's face and it'll be a good twis-

>he does nothing and one day just steals his face and staples it back on
welp

though he did fool batman by pretending to be someone else later, but he did with that with simple makeup and acting.

Didn't help that people were already sick of seeing books get a new #1 seemingly every few months. Felt like between about 2002-2012, no book could last more than 24 issues without getting a new number one or a new volume or a change of title because a new creative team was taking over. The ones that did make it to 50+ tended to be the ones no one was paying attention to

The sad part is it still gave them a sales boost and initially they were happy with the New 52. I just find it dumb. Do a reboot but don't commit to a full reboot. Don't do any real advertising to get new readers into it. Even now the same gimmicks like variants still work.

Attached: Anger Sells.png (633x812, 520.74K)

I don't mind variants these days. It's nowhere near as bad as it was, it's usually just a cover with art from a guest artist or a logoless cover - the DCeased covers that were parodies of horror movie covers were an example of this shit done well, rather than when they'd put out 50 covers with the same art and maybe a different colour scheme. Compared to the 90s/early-2000s, it's practically sane

For some series it is just as bad as the 90s now. Also variant mentality is what drives up sales of poor titles because of retail incentives. And whale customers spend so much on such things.

>oh boo hoo it sustains the industry
And that's bad because...?

because its retarded

Why did this make me laugh so hard

IIRC the Endgame story hinted that Joker found that pool of life extending chemicals that healed him back and fixed his face.

death of the family was horrible tho