Animefag trying to get into comics

>Animefag trying to get into comics
>Starts reading Monstress and get completely surprised at how good it is

Was that just a lucky start for me or there are a lot of things at this level in comics

Attached: monstress-1_1fb8ac05c0.jpg (384x591, 100.72K)

Also forgot to mention that I've read some reviews and the braindead fucks criticize the story because everything is not explained at every issue. That's exactly what got me out of anime and manga since they treat their audience like complete retards that can't understand a story if it isn't explained every 5 minutes.

Monstress is pretty good as comics go. It really depends on your tastes, there's a lot of superhero (and other) trash out there but lots of good stuff too.

Monstress is pretty mid actually

Sana Takeda's legit Japanese so the art helps
I recommend Nick Dragotta, Daniel Warren Johnson, James Harren, Corey Lewis, and Bryan Lee O'Malley's work

Attached: _d07eddf587.jpg (585x899, 228.36K)

I've always heard that superhero shit is all over the place with stories that start in one series and go to another one in another hero, not to mention the countless reboots and so on.

Could you recommend some that you find better than Monstress?

Indeed, the art is great. Even the story, while serviceable so far, is pretty competent. Can't wait for what's read. Also, thanks for these recommendations, I'll search for their works.

Wow I have forgotten about this but I think it's pretty good.

Not him. Saga is good but I can't remember also where I stopped.

Stop reading battlemanga shounentrash if you don't want bullshit explanations every 5 chapterss.
Superhero shit, capeshit for short, is indeed all over the place. The crossovers are constant because they hope you'll start buying series you don't give a shit about if you're forced to pick up some issues due to a crossover. Reboots happens frequently because writers are not allowed to actually end series. There is the occasional run of [series] worth reading, but 99% of capeshit is inane crap, wokeshit or both.

>better than Monstress
Define. Art? Writing? Both?
Monstress is on my to-read list, but I hear it becomes mediocre later. Also, don't listen to the user recommending Saga. He's trolling.

Oh yeah, Tradd Moore and Felipe Smith as well

Yeah, indeed Shonentrash is almost all I read, since they're what are being recommended all over the place. The only thing really really worth that I read is Berserk, and not so much for the story but because the art is really good.

As for the recommendations, both ways, it can be better art and/or story, I'm in for everything.

Image is doing a monthly anthology thingo for a year for their 30th anniversary. It's probably worth keeping an eye on over the year to scout out current writers and artists to your tastes.

Webcomic rather than paperback, but you should give Unsounded a try. Very strong fantasy worldbuilding, well written characters, plot that goes places.

It's anbokay level comic. There are a lot better out there

It's got a really cool setting, but the story's kinda all over the place and most of the characters (including the main character) are assholes that are kinda hard to care about.

Try some strips out, dailies are usually black and white, sundays in color.

Attached: Krazy23.jpg (2292x3056, 1.26M)

>Daniel Warren Johnson
he's fucking awesome

Attached: Murder Falcon #007 (2019) - Page 16.jpg (1987x3056, 1.29M)

>Monstress is on my to-read list, but I hear it becomes mediocre later.
I find it improves, but I like the heavy polticiking in it cause I'm used to that kind of stuff from novels and Monstress is very much structured like novels.

Attached: monstress 27.jpg (1988x3056, 1.01M)

As a rule of thumb, if it says dc or marvel on the cover then it's not worth reading. Here's some exceptions.

Gweenpool - stay away from Strikes Back, it's not on the req chart for a reason. Yes, the last two are doujins. She doesn't have much material
Nextwave - not beginner friendly. Snarky industry humor and some in-jokes.
Punisher by Ennis - Ennis generally comes in two versions. Either Boring Realism or Over The Top Hilarious. His Punisher is the latter
Hitman - if this tickels your pink, Section 6 has two minis. First one is meh, but the Dogwelder one is great
Preacher

A bit of random stuff that isn't capeshit
I Hate Fairyland
Scud The Disposable Assassin
Transmetropolitan
The Boys
Empowered
Requiem Vampire Knight
Skull Kickers

Attached: 1637881123285.png (1312x766, 453.27K)

Big fan of Monstress, here are some others to check out.

Saga (Vaughan)
Black Science (Remender)
Descender (Lemire)
Coda (Spurrier)
Kill or be Killed (Brubaker)
Oblivion Song (Kirkman)
Harrow County (Bunn)
East of West (Hickman)
Something is Killing the Children (Tynion)

This represents a popular entry from most of the biggest names in non-superhero comics. Once you find out which writers you like you can check out their other work.

Overall, piss poor recommendations.
There are some Marvel /DC worth reading, and those aren't it. Ennis is good, though, aside from The Boys.
>Section 6
Section 8, as in military discharged for being mentally ill.

Lucifer and Sandman

I prefer things that are actually allowed to end, instead of getting milked for 60 years and counting. Ennisher is there because it's actually good and I intentionally ignore everything else that's Punisher related.
>6
Yeah, my bad. I was thinking of 6pack.

The random stuff was just various titles off the top of my head. It's not like OP actually listed genres.