Huge ass Omnibus

Saw pic related in the other thread and I wondered, what does Any Forums think about these huge Omnibuses?

I think it's really inconvenient to read them and it's not tempting to take them out of the shelf and just browse in them, looking at the art or reading a chapter or two.
IMO Trades with about 10 issues is the perfect comic format.

Attached: 1654826142556.jpg (900x1200, 272.13K)

Personally hate the compendiums. For me, condition is secondary but I do like having books that look somewhat nice on the shelf and a huge crease down the spine of a trade paperback that I've only read once doesn't look very good. And yes, I get that paperback books get these as well but those also cost a fraction of the price of these compendiums. And who are these for? Not entry readers or someone interested in the series because you have to commit $60 for about 25-30 issues of a series that you may or may not like, and if you're an avid fan or collector, you're probably going to just get the omnibus. Also fuck DC for that milestone compendium and having 4-5 issues of all the series and not doing a separate collection of each series like they should.

I have the authority omnibus and the invincible ones
It's only hard to read for like the first 50 pages then it's fine
Probably need a lecturn to read some of the bigger ones like ennis hellblazer

>ennis hellblazer
>1352 pages
>45 issues and a bunch of bonus stories
I did not know this existed.

Attached: s-l640.jpg (640x640, 78.53K)

They already made a proper collection.
Why make this huge beast?

Attached: 20220610_122443.jpg (860x2128, 685.46K)

I think they're cool as a collectable item/boat anchor.
For actual reading I massively prefer digital.
Physical tho, best if its 1 1/2" thick or less

>not buying the superior oversized hardcover version
What are you poor?

It's a lot of extra work but what about a custom dust jacket that you just put over you compendiums so the spine can get as beat up as you like?

>prefer digital
Really, on what? Kindle, tablet?
Because I don't really like reading on my regular computer or laptop screen.

I own a ton of huge HC omnis.I love them. I don’t even notice the size. The mere existence of such things seems to really bother some people though.

>mfw reading the Savage Sword of Conan omnis on my tablet
feels good

Attached: FSO_ZUTWYAEGTbv.jpg (1080x1145, 143.48K)

I had the Walt Simonson Orion omnibus and as much as I enjoyed the material, reading the damn thing was just a chore. It simply lacks the convenience of smaller volumes or digital where you can read where you please.

HC Omnis are my preferred way to own comics. It's easy for me to pick out the issue I am looking for.
The softcover ones, like the one in your picture, get their spines bent too easily, and make it super uncomfortable to read.

Welcome to 2012, I guess.

Im still confused as to why Comics arent focusing more on Omnibuses considering those are literally the only way to get comics outside of America. Think the only actual like full paper 1 issue comics I own is the Thanos run I bought used from a american diaspora wich came back here for some reason.

It’s the best format, imo. It’s strange to me that it gets so much hate especially here where so many read on their PC or laptop, which aren’t any better.

HC Omnis are my favourite format because:
>Pages look and feel nicer than reading off a screen
>Spines look nice on a shelf
>less books to buy for the same amount of content
>less books to read for the same amount of content
>less books to search through when looking for a particular issue
>larger art than a lot of other formats, which looks nicer and clearer
>more bonus content than most other formats
>cheaper than an absolute
>can be cheaper than smaller formats too if volumes go out of print

Transportation isn't an issue because I don't like to read anywhere but in the comfort of my home, but if I did want to read when traveling I'd just get a separate digital copy. The two formats are not mutually exclusive.

As for the convinience to read, it entirely depends on the binding imo. Marvel omnis have never given me trouble because the bindings are done well enough that they stay open when laid flat, even when near the start or end of the omni. If they're too big and heavy to hold or put on my lap/chest, then I can put it on a book stand I have (picrel), and the clips on the stand are enough to hold open the pages hands-free, no matter what angle I have the stand set to.

When it comes to DC omnis on the other hand, their bindings are a lot worse and that becomes more apparent the larger the omni is. Larger DC omnis don't lay flat out of the box even if you're in the middle of the book, and sometimes take a lot of work to stretch/loosen the binding to a good level, which isn't just an inconvinience but also increases the chance of accidentally damaging the binding. If it's large or heavy enough to need a bookstand then the clips aren't enough to hold it open until I'm at least a third through the book.

When it comes to other publishers fortunately I've found more omni (or omni-like) formats to have good bindings than bad. Dark Horse's Deluxe Edition manga for example have pretty good bindings from my experience.

I fear my bookshelf will eventually collapse

I like the oversized hardbacks, like the Zim books, Wasteland, that sort of thing. But yeah, I want to own them, but the cost with the fact that they're really unwieldy to read means I never buy them. Hell, even some of Marvel's more recent collected editions, where they put together 15+ issues in a single volume can be difficult to read, if you're determined not to break the spines

Forgot pic. This is the bookstand I use.

Also, just to be clear, I fully admit that smaller books are easier to read so I get why people go for them, but omnis aren't anywhere near as inconvinient as people make out imo, and the pros I explained outweigh the cons to me.

Attached: bookstand.jpg (1500x1484, 103.47K)

My only issue is when they do them in glue-based bindings. They tend not to hold up as well as traditional stitch-based hardcover book bindings.

>not buying the original issues and custom binding the series

The only issues that I've yet to find for cheap enough are the Hellboy crossover. Once I get that, I'm gonna send them off to get stitched up.