Did the Dr. Strange movie finally succeed in creating a likeable America Chavez?

Did the Dr. Strange movie finally succeed in creating a likeable America Chavez?

Attached: America-Chavez-in-Doctor-Strange-in-the-Multiverse-of-Madness-1-1.jpg (1472x971, 322.38K)

No I hate her even more for not being Brown enough.

She wasn't stand out or anything but I've liked her since Young Avengers and she was OK for the most part in Ultimates. It's really just her solo, unfortunately, by Gaby Rivera that was insufferable. Other than that she, in my opinion has been "likeable" from the start.

Her powers are poorly defined and I found her origin story being based around a Lesbian marriage unnecessary.

>not being Brown enough
Being Mexican American in a nutshell

I found her to be solidly mediocre. Could have been a whole lot worse. Her powers were kind of crap and her origin story was pretty dumb but she could have been way more actively offensive.

She was more forgettable than most of the shit villains

The thing is, Gaby Rivera's attempt at her dream hero/practically OC version of America is what people remember the most. Its a massive stain on the character that they're still trying to fix.

What question is this?
You ask if is "likeable" so you've seen all the iterations. Why ask then? Why not list all the pro and cons instead of trowing questions at us?

It's not, really. It's what people on Any Forums complain about the most. People on Tumblr remember Young Avengers the most because of the shipping, people on Reddit remember isolated panels posted out of context, I remember her from Ultimates.

America isn't a very well-known character. She's not very established in the public consciousness and, to my knowledge, hasn't had any major arcs in the same way her contemporaries like Kate Bishop or the Maximoff Twins have had. She's mostly been on team books and she's had one bad solo run. Show me any attempt at damage control since the solo run, if you're aware of any.

No, she's so bland and barely has a personality, hardly likable at all

>Her powers are poorly defined
True
>her origin story being based around a Lesbian marriage unnecessary
Quite true, but it don't have more or less plot value if there was a straight couple. I hate it too but it was just for make people talk

Kate Bishop has never had a major arc in any comic. She's always just the background leader in the Young Avengers runs and her solos weren't major in any way because they never had any impact on any other story ever.

i forgot to say that even mages powers are poorly defined too, sadly. They can create an energy buzzsaw from thin air but they can't create the same kind of object for flying. They had too many plot devices in the first movie

Not that user you're replying to, but current Chavez got a backstory retcon that seems like an attempt at redoing the character. They removed lesbian world and nerfed her powers.

>Show me any attempt at damage control since the solo run, if you're aware of any.
Made in USA is 100% damage control since it erases all the story from the solo

That's the inherent problem with Dr Strange and this whole setting. They're magic and they don't appear to have any real limits to their power, but the story doesn't work if they can all do these amazing things.

"Likeable" and "not as dogshit as the comic book version" aren't the same thing, OP.

Amusing that if it wasn't for the post credits scenes of Venom 2 and NWH, we would've had Chavez in the MCU before god damn Venom.

Oh there's completely been damage control they've retconned her entire backstory and changed her poweset. Also having her be a plucky youngster sidekick type in Doctor Strange instead of the 17 - 19 year old she is in the comics.

She's at least 22 in the comics though

I feel there wasn't enough dimensional and mirror shit in this movie compared to the last. Really it was just blasts but magic this time around. Very generic.

Dr. Strange had all sorts of trippy shit with the mirror dimension and them manipulating that dimension. Now he just flies around and fires blasts and puts up shields. He's just magic Iron Man.

OH MY GOD THEY'RE GOING TO CRASH

Attached: 1648347059314.jpg (634x1005, 94.93K)

Yeah really aside from the powerset and the coat and race, it feels like a different character to comics America. She feels more like Dr. Strange's Robin or Batgirl in a way. Not that it's a bad thing at all, no way they should have accurately adapted the comic version, that would have been a nightmare.