Gaston Lagaffe is back

Bellybuttons artist Delaf is bringing back Franquin's Gaston Lagaffe.
Not sure how I feel about it. Bellybuttons had awesome gags and Delaf is pretty good at emulating Franquin's art.
But Franquin is Franquin and Gaston is my favorite eurocomics. Makes it hard for me to be 100% open minded.

Attached: FOC0_MQWQAEdHEF.jpg (785x1080, 190.51K)

Other urls found in this thread:

desuarchive.org/co/thread/125761203/#125761203
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

Attached: FOC-Ve1XMAU71Ay.jpg (2048x1536, 597.08K)

Did someone finally translate bellybuttons? Last I read was when the bitch moves in with the good red haired girl

There has only been one album after this one and it was not the continuation of the story, but one-page gags set back when the status quo wasn't broken.
Which is maybe why the usual user didn't bother to translate it.
It is pretty fun, though.

samefag here
My bad, you're right, there has been another one after that.
desuarchive.org/co/thread/125761203/#125761203

>half-page gag
based.

Hopefully it turns out better than the god-awful Corto Maltese ""revival""

Gaston’s gags are based on tech and tinkering so it will mainly depend on whether they do it "exactly as it was", ie old school gags set in the original Gaston era with tech from the early 80s max, or if they try to modernize everything and put modern tech in it to appeal to zoomers, like the movie did. which is dumb because I was born way after Franquin died and stil found Gaston gags absolutely hilarious as a kid.
since it’s "good guys" Dupuis and since the modernized movie bombed I think they’ll stick to the original.

I sure hope so. We'll see.

It's gonna be lackluster garbage like the Marsupilami's comeback in Spirou but Dupuis paid such a premium to get Franquin's stuff back they'll try anything to not have it be a complete loss

I have great memories of reading the Gaston collections with my dad as a kid and both of us laughing uncontrollably. I'll stay cautiously optimistic about this one.

>makes a whole page to explain there has never been and will never ever be a #5 album
>makes one anyway

Sorry about the pic for ants, it's the only one I found.
Here Gaston creates a mobile phone, the G-phone, which Prunelle renames "Aïe-Phone" (ouch-phone)

Attached: Gaston-Lagaffe-1372146.jpg (580x743, 106.69K)

reposting the preview gag with better quality.
Dupuis confirmed it will be set in the original era.

translation
>Oah, welcome to the future! Introducing the first ever mobile telephone: the G-Phone!
>Thanks to Gaston, one can now walk and phone at the same time!
>Tss! Who would want to do that? It’ll never take off!
>"What about the cord?", you’re going to ask. Well, no risk of stumbilng on it since it’s properly concealed inside the rail. But hold your claps!
>Oh I’m holding them, I swear!
>When you hang the receiver, it pulls a little lever that rewinds the cord, and the telephone goes back home.
>I see, same than with the vaccum cord.
>Exactly…
>…but softer… What?
>…
>OK, my bearings were a little bit too greased, but I’m still certain the G-Phone has a great future!
>I suggest a better name: the Aïe-Phone!
("aïe !" is French for "ouch!" and is pronounced "ay")

Attached: Le retour de Lagaffe.jpg (721x925, 340.54K)

I nrever really cared for Gaston but I guess you could give it a try? The comic has a clear line to follow, it is not like they can fuck it up that hard.

Honestly that's pretty on-brand as far as Gaston comics go. If the rest of the book is like that, it might be the first of those modern revivals that actually manages to capture the essence of the original.

Attached: mite b cool.jpg (500x384, 36.63K)

NONONONONONONON
NON
LA PIRE LIGNE TEMPORELLE

I wonder if the author will make the black hair girl into a real character, since that's clearly one of Frakin's missed opportunity in the serie, like Gaston's Friends that only becomes Jules de chez Smith en face after a while

I’m happy for Delaf. He needed a win after that messy divorce.

Attached: 3ABD0892-6915-4235-B3CD-317EB1FB9E1E.jpg (720x933, 277.31K)

I kinda fear that most of the "on model" effect will be just copy pasted from older iconic gags, instead of coming from a real creative intention

I like what I'm seeing. We'll see in seven months how good it really is.

Translation:
>ROGNTUDJUU!! ANOTHER ONE!
>For sure, Lagaffe must have left his window open!
>That's right, land right there!
>Damn, missed it!
>(This guy's crazy!)
>?!
>LAGAAAAAAAAAAFE!!
>He's gone for the week-end, but what are you... [LAUGHS]
>How about you help me instead?
>And me who forbid him to do any experiments! Decidedly, this boy is...
>CheeeeekySPLAF! ("culotté" figuratively means "having a lot of nerves" and "culotte" literally means "underwear", it's a visual pun with him losing his pants in the panel, kinda hard to translate)
>What are you two playing at... WOUAAAAH!
>Go get help instead of laughing!
>L'Brac nooo, not your hand!
>Monday morning...
>I'm really excited to see how many flies I've caught with my new patented Gaston coating...