Looking for recommendations and seeking for answers

So I started buying and reading graphic novels/comics/whatever you called them 3 months ago.
I was wandered through a bunch of 'best of' lists, Goodreads recommendations, and other media trying to get what's considered to be 'good' since I had no idea what I actually want to read and which direction to go.

In the picture, you see books I own. They are arranged in a way from 'most disliked type' to 'most liked'. I don't want to say that 'Fun House' is awful, or 'From Hell' is superb. But I understood that memorials are not my type of thing, and history-based graphic novels are the ones I want to read more. (yes, I own Maus already and it would be placed somewhere between 'Palestine' and 'Jimmy Corrigan').

Since you have read a bunch of titles already I am seeking recommendations based on these priorities:

1) History based novels like 'From Hell' or 'Berlin'
2) 1 book (or collected edition of several issues) stories like 'Daytripper', 'Watchmen', 'V for Vendetta' or 'Monsters'.
3) Superhero-based issue (or boxset) like the ones I placed between 'Monsters' and '1984'.
4) Graphic novel adaptation of well-known title like '1984'.
5) Cheesy horror stories like 'Black Hole'.
6) Something completely different like 'Jimmy Corrigan'.

I'm not willing to get into something like 'Palestine'/'Maus' and below for now.

1/2

Attached: books.jpg (4032x2320, 2.43M)

Questions:

1) Are other titles by Moore worth reading? Like 'Providence Compendium', 'Extraordinary gentlemen' and etc.?
2) Are other Batman titles by Miller is as good as 'The Dark Knight Returns'? Also, would you rather buy 7 separate issues of the 'Sin City' or 'Big Damn' edition?
3) Are there any other boxsets like 'Swamp Thing' or 'Hellboy' currently available for a stock price that tells a proper (intro->close up) story?
4) I don't have any Vertigo titles since I'm afraid of the fact that 'Sandman' (for example, but this works for other titles too) has 10 or more separate volumes for a complete story. I don't want to go that deep for a title that I haven't tried yet. Or each individual volume has its own story?
5) As you may see there is no manga among my books, but Uzumaki - Junji Ito will be on my next bucket list. Are there any other good mangas?

2/2

I recommend The Adventures of Luther Arkwright.
There is a set currently being published that contains the aforementioned and its sequel (pic related), though I personally prefer the first book. Both are good, and some vastly prefer the sequel because it's less rough and more streamlined in its storytelling.
You won't see this one on most lists but it's quite good. It's a sci-fi alternate history action-adventure that's pretty heavy on the history and on the experimental elements. It seems like every big name Brit in comics liked or loved it.
I generally recommend anything by Bryan Talbot.
>1)
You already have my favorite Moore, which are From Hell and Watchmen, but I also like League of Extraordinary Gentlemen volumes 1 and 2 (collected in an omnibus), A Small Killing (Moore essentially does a Euro comic), Top Ten (may be oop), and Miracleman (there are no good versions available unless you hunt them on eBay). Promethea is good, though I'm not sure it's fully collected and available, and I've heard good things about Providence. It's hard to go wrong with Moore.
>2)
Batman: Year One is great. I can't recommend the rest.
I own The Hard Goodbye in HC, but I also like three or four other volumes. I personally don't care to own the whole thing.
>5)
My favorite manga aren't available yet in the US. But Nausicaa is a good one, collected in double omnibus boxes. I recommend anything by Taiyo Matsumoto and Jiro Taniguchi.

Attached: 91IBn5CTIDL.jpg (1665x2560, 953.99K)

oh no, did we indirectly just start a mid week / shelf thread?

Attached: ld infamy splash.jpg (1600x1230, 643.77K)

yup

'League of Extraordinary Gentlemen' is a continuous story or each volume has an individual one?

dang the quads of truth has spoken

Attached: bedroom shelf.jpg (2048x1046, 719.13K)

>1) History based novels like 'From Hell' or 'Berlin'
>5) As you may see there is no manga among my books, but Uzumaki - Junji Ito will be on my next bucket list. Are there any other good mangas?
Shigeru Mizuki has written historical manga, like Hitler, Onward Towards Our Noble Deaths, and his Showa series; he's also legendary for writing about yokai in books like Tono Monogatari and his Kitaro series.
His writing is usually a little on the silly side (Kitaro is largely for kids but enjoyable for adults), but I mostly buy him for the art. It's really nice cartooning.

If you're also only buying to read, I would definitely recommend reading scans more often than not. It'll save you a lot of money, and you'll be able to sample a lot more work than you would otherwise. It'll be an easier and more fruitful journey through the medium.

>1) History based novels like 'From Hell' or 'Berlin'
i have some comic versions of great novels like Moby Dick and the Jungle but i know that isn't exactly what you are asking for.
>2) 1 book (or collected edition of several issues) stories like 'Daytripper', 'Watchmen', 'V for Vendetta' or 'Monsters'.
miracle man - i know marvel printed a bunch of the characters books but i haven't looked into them. i have 3 of the 4 trades from eclipse comics
>3) Superhero-based issue (or boxset) like the ones I placed between 'Monsters' and '1984'.
look into Dc. they have many of their better books in box set
>4) Graphic novel adaptation of well-known title like '1984'.
i guess see answer 1
>5) Cheesy horror stories like 'Black Hole'.
zombie tramp or vamp blade. shrugs crossed
>6) Something completely different like 'Jimmy Corrigan'.
i hated Jimmy Corrigan and dropped if after 60 pages. Brian Flies - a fire story or Roger Langridge - Fred the Clown would be my suggestions

Attached: office shelf.jpg (1600x794, 504.61K)

for Alan Moore some good comics are
Promethea
Miracleman
A Small Killing
Supreme if you enjoy the superman type character.
Some other stuff I would recommend based off your shelf and posts:
Asterios Polyp by David Mazzucchelli
Beasts of Burden by Dorkin
Enigma by Milligan and Fegredo
Give me Liberty by Miller & Gibbons
Ronin by Miller
Stray Toasters by Sienkiewicz
The Marquis by Guy Davis
WE3 by Grant Morrison & Quitely
Flex Mentallo by Grant Morrison & Quitely

>Supreme if you enjoy the superman type character.
The Supreme run is amazing

Continuous story.
It goes like this:
>Volume 1
>Volume 2
>The Black Dossier
>Volume 3: Century
>Nemo Trilogy
>Volume 4: Tempest
I'm only recommending the first two volumes, which are available in an omnibus like pic related.
As another user said, you may want to sample these before you buy them. From your initial pic, I would be pissed if I bought Fun Home.

Attached: 51MVVbXHOZL.jpg (338x500, 62.67K)

What's the paper like on the books in the Swamp Thing box set? Those don't look the same width as my old editions, and they seem more uniform.

I did the same thing for Jimmy Corrigan, but then I picked up again much later, finished it, and liked it quite a bit.
Seconding Asterios Polyp.
Great comic.

The main reason why comics 'clicked' for me is that it allowed me to get off the computer/tv/phone. My job is to stay 'online' so the least I want to do is to read scans.

Money is not the issue.

Thanks for the recommendations.
One more thing, I guess 'Blankets' sucks as much as Fun Home?

pretty much the same as Watchmen or V for Vendetta issues I have (OP)

>The main reason why comics 'clicked' for me is that it allowed me to get off the computer/tv/phone. My job is to stay 'online' so the least I want to do is to read scans.
Totally based and I largely agree - it's why I have far more books on my shelves than I've yet actually read, but I would just advocate that you at least sample from time to time. My personal rule of thumb is that I'll read the first couple of issues or the first arc, depending on the length of the work, and then throw down the money for the book if I like it. At least that's if I don't know anything about the creators or they have a very hit or miss track record. I've got some people I'll buy from blind, especially if I know the art will at the very least be good.
But anyway, yeah. Nothing beats a physical book, but I'd recommend some form of sampling when possible. That's all.

Huh. Weird. Must just be the lens or something then.

1) Providence, Miracleman (getting an omnibus later this year), Top 10 (good luck)
2) Get his Daredevil work if you can. I prefer the individual Sin City volumes since I only like a few stories and are easier to handle.
4) Scene of the Crime was a stand alone Vertigo comic, now published by Image. If you like crime stories check it out.
5) Any of the deluxe volumes being published by Dark Horse: Berserk, Blade of the Immortal, and Hellsing

Attached: 1625044836192.jpg (640x972, 149.24K)

>Blankets
It's another "who cares" story, but Craig Thompson is better at cartooning.

This came today. I guess it’s /shelf/ related.

Attached: 33E90DC0-839B-4B56-BA99-1CB60D6F772A.jpg (2632x3832, 3.46M)

>Both are good, and some vastly prefer the sequel because it's less rough and more streamlined in its storytelling.
Should note that the disjointed nature of the first book is intentional, just given the way that the layouts themselves play with time (without spoiling too much). It gets very experimental with the medium, at a time when the graphic novel itself was unheard of.