A majority of online animators now are getting teams together to develop pilots. Not that it's bad...

A majority of online animators now are getting teams together to develop pilots. Not that it's bad, if anything I encourage them to expand their horizons. But it seems like EVERYONE is getting in on them now, was this due to Hazbin's success or are there stories finally worth telling?

Attached: 1696379752.jpg (739x415, 30.35K)

Other urls found in this thread:

youtu.be/YcchrgJgryo
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

Fucking kids need to get real jobs.

Attached: 2C5B34F3-5454-4A54-8DE0-037A502B8089.jpg (660x960, 60.22K)

this is only a good thing, Hazbin for sure inspired it, it showed that it can work and now everyone is going to chase that and I welcome it if it means a wave of new IPs and creator driven animation and more quality original internet content

Having more people creating animated content is good. It will separate the wheat from the chaff

No, it’s because Smiling Friends just shipped on Adult Swim with all the Newgrounds and OneyPlays animators, and it was a hit that’s getting a second season.

Executives are like sharks, they smell blood in the water when there’s money to be made. If and you’re an internet animator, after one clear gamble and success, networks just realized you’re apparently sitting on a valuable skill and brand of humor, and are uniquely interested in hearing your pitches right now. If you’re able to throw together a funny pilot, you’re a good pitch session away from a show right now.

The future is now.

There have always been more stories worth telling. It's just a matter of budget, time, manpower, and talent, all aligning under the stars, and getting lucky enough to be picked up or supported by the right people that won't immediately run it into the ground, or lock it behind a streaming service that no one uses.

Attached: 305986.jpg (694x592, 54.51K)

Isn't there a streaming service specifically for YTers to make more money? Why don't they just use that?

Attached: IMG_0950.png (460x526, 328.56K)

>Isn't there a streaming service specifically for YTers to make more money? Why don't they just use that?
Pic related plus follow the money - a TV show like family guy costs 2 million per episode, but the buried lede of a truth like that is
>the network is willing to spend up to 2 million dollars for 21 minutes of animation

Meaning if you're a showrunner, you can expect to recover some serious percentage of that; if you can get even a 5% cut of that money on a 10 episode season, congrats, you make a million dollars per season.

OR, I can go with your plan and make whatever flat cut the streaming service wants to pay me - maybe 75k-150k if I'm EXCEEDINGLY, anomalously lucky.

Attached: groucho.jpg (850x400, 58.97K)

I guess the model is increasingly working. I don't know enough to say Hazbin was the big breakthrough or if it's Patreon growing in success or something else. It's a good trend I think overall. Though there are some drawbacks of folks lacking a way to get solid experience before moving towards running a project.

like with everything, it's not a single factor. both of these are probably contributing, and also not the full story.

i imagine, or honestly hope, we're reaching a new critical mass of online animation. maybe with the accessibility of grease pencil and the general usability of blender (after years of being shit) and other apps, children growing up on video essays glorifying animation finally reaching the age to try it themselves, the availability of every tutorial you could ever want, echo chambers finally leading to something productive. zoomers et al. de-emphasizing social media (no really), especially facebook, which sucked all the productive, cooperative energy out of everyone from 2008 to 201x, in favor of more niche vectors like discord that seem to work well for project building. the promise of patreon finally coming home to roost, as indie animation is more lucrative than ever before in history (maybe?) -- the less time/energy these cartooners have to dedicate to doing soulless shit like let's plays and podcasts just to survive, the more they can dedicate to actually making cartoons.
and they can all see amazing shit being done by other solo creators, so it's becoming a competitive market. you gotta up the ante, and the way to do that is with a team. but that's an exponential increase in money, so now you're wooing investors. and at the very least, reaching for something bigger. and since features are dead, the new Big Thing to reach for, the place to blaze trails, is TV. but you can't just make an entire show on your own, so the "pilot" is the next step that leads to more money to pay more people to become more stable to build a better life. and they're win-win, since even if you don't get picked up, at least you'll have a watchable short at the end of it. (or so you think)

i'm just speculating(+wordvomiting) though, could be wrong on all this. but my point being that it's probably a buncha shit in combination

Attached: gimme a hug.jpg (898x1006, 80.16K)

You don't even need a team of animators. Audiences will happily watch a timed out animatic that has a couple of polished moments here and there.

youtu.be/YcchrgJgryo

Which streaming service? The internet is like throwing a message in a bottle out to be buried in an endless flow of other content. You might be picked up by something more, but it's going to take a huge amount of time and luck.

Youtube is a fucking joke in how it's handled and how it repeatedly mistreats animators that put any actual effort into their channels, but it isn't going away anytime soon in terms of the massive amount of traffic it gets. Indie teams are probably better off just using it as a platform to hope to advertise their patreons where fans can give them actual money.

Attached: 1638496889724.jpg (640x640, 105.87K)

That takes plenty of effort too, considering that it's been five years without an update.

Attached: 1639287559081.png (1280x930, 970.93K)

Oh sure it takes effort, but it's much more doable. A single storyboard artist, even with a full-time job, can get their own 11-minute animatic pilot out in maybe 5 - 8 months (depending on the art style) and do it on their own time with no budget. Compared to an animation production which would take a lot more time if you're trying to maintain a full-time job, a lot more money if you're trying to hire a team, and a lot more social media/marketing work if you're trying to get additional funding from things like Patreon or Kickstarter.

>Hazbin's success
How can you call a show that hasn't premiered yet a success unless you're the CEO that green lit it and want to over hype the show to make yourself look good?
The only major news for it that got any buzz was the original VA getting shafted by viz. And that was met with a good deal of backlash, so hard to say the show is a model to emulate.

The pilot premiered and was enough to get thousands of obsessed fans buying merch and constantly pumping out fan art and theories

So ENA is a huge success too?
Homestuck?
SCPs?

For the scale of what they're trying to achieve? Yes?

>OP is trying to make autistic weirdos who browse Any Forums and watches cartoons look bad
I'm sure he's doing valiant work

Until Hazbin premiers, they are all equal in success to it. If getting a studio to pick up your pitch and produce a season of it is the only qualifier to a hit show then Problem Solverz was a major success too.