What's the point of creating a fanfiction and completely changing the setting, themes and characterization...

What's the point of creating a fanfiction and completely changing the setting, themes and characterization? Why not just make your own IP?

Attached: fanfiction(1).png (1000x1000, 354.36K)

Fun

To piggyback off of the popularity

It's a fun creative exercise and a way to develop writing skills.

I want to play with my childhood toys, simple as

For Fans? Just content for the fanbase ranging from shitposts to good.

For novice writers? Practice.

Like try to write a story that gets the tone of the show right, and have the characters act like what they are from the origin medium. Just a training wheels sort of thing. Once you're comfortable you create your own IP.

As a fanfic writer I've always had a rule: "You have to play by the rules of the universe." As OP says, there's no point in writing a fanfic and not following the preexisting setting, characterizations, and themes. I am also a writer of original fiction, and if I want to do my own thing, I'll just write an original story. But when I write fanfics, I try to stick as close as possible to the "feel" of the show/comic/movie, even when I'm telling a new story.

On the rare occasion I DO make a dramatic change, I try to justify it, and I try to make sure that the change has an equally dramatic effect on the story and the status quo of the world.

Attached: 429.png (680x496, 293.59K)

Alot of Author's got their break writing Sherlock Holmes fan fiction.

Isn't this the general rule of thumb when writing fanfics.

Like the only reason why you'd write something that dramatically changes the characters and universe because it's either: 1 Inexperienced, or 2 Shitpost.

Also, when writing it's a fucking hassle if the show bring out new Lore, and you'd have to state in your fic that you wrote this before that episode/special.

>Isn't this the general rule of thumb when writing fanfics.

I mean, yes, but you'd be shocked by how many fanfic writers don't seem to follow it.

I have a friend who got her start writing fanfic of the Sapphic variety. Now she's a published author and recently worked on a Batman audio story for Realm FM. I've been meaning to ask her for tips because she's living my fucking dream.

Why? Well...

I think for a lot of people, it's just easier to use a pre-existing character/setting because it's easier than making your own. It also generates more interest than your average dime-a-dozen "original" story that won't be even given a chance by the average reader. If the reader is already familiar at least vaguely with source material, they're more likely to read since it's less effort to understand, and easier on the writer to instantly get into. You don't need to worry about writing a character's appearance, their backstory, etc

Example
>I want to write a story where SU's Jasper is a Football player who brutally fucks Sapphire, a cheerleader, after a big game

Here, we don't have to worry about establishing the characters. We know Jasper is big. We know she's aggressive and a bully. We know Sapphire is small and weak. Before reading, we already know a ton about the characters just from our prior knowledge. The fact that the Crystal Gems are now inexplicably in Highschool setting and play Football, a ridiculous concept, is irrelevant. But it lets the writer skip a lot of essential steps and world building. It also helps the reader imagine their favorite characters doing something, rather than two OCs they have no connection to

Attached: 091E2AEB-95B5-4114-8651-7E3CBF99ECF7.jpg (1280x1146, 168.09K)

I did buy a Sherlock Holmes book, it wasn't part of the original stories. A fun read.

Think my favorite was the one where a Holmes and Watson were investigating the disappearance of a boat with a father and son, and ultimately finding out that they just faked their death to escape their shitty lives in a port town.

If authors get their breaks in writing Holmes fanfic, Imma get started.

Define fanfiction.

Are you arguing that no o e should ever play aroubd someone else's established lore and setting and concentrate on their own. Can you possibly think of huge successful retelllings of not just public domain characters but characters and settings that originally came from one person.

Is your beef really just rando girls shlicking it to yaoi or do you hate it when it gets published as its own thing ala Alan Moore.

If a character is a specific character in name only, why are you using that specific character at all?
For another example, I'll use a quote nearly a quarter century old:
>"By the time the La-La Land hacks are done with their 10th script punch-up, Spiderman will be a retarded beetle that farts fire."
Yes, you *CAN* write Spider-Man in such a way that he is no way resembling any previous Spider-Man or carrying any of the similar traits or features or aspects of Spider-Man. But WHY?
No. Stop. Don't prattle about corporate branding or how there's nothing "wrong" with it. Answer the question.
The only meaningful answers are to either capitalize on the recognition of the previously existing character or to purposely destroy the character.

As others have already said it's a spring board for creative decisions. Please get the stick out of your ass.

/tread

This
It's commodity fetishism at work
Change all the names and imagery around to your own IP and absolutely no one will care

Just think of it as playing with preset tools which can then be customized based on preferences. A person can get inspired by something and then add their own flourishes to it. It can be for fun and for practice. That's a very cynical take you have there and it sounds like you're shutting down any answers that don't fit your assumptions of other people having the absolute worst intentions. Relax dude. Spider-man doesn't need you to defend his honor from some fan fiction writer in a dark corner of the internet.

Attached: 1637906376874.jpg (680x680, 98.85K)

Bump

This.
I could make a character that was clearly a stand-in for Superman, but actually using the Superman character in a story is a HUGE shorthand for the audience.
Plus it'll get a lot of readers who would never otherwise check out the story. If it's good, they'll check out one with your OC.