Unironically, what is its Western equivalent?

Unironically, what is its Western equivalent?

Attached: Neon Genesis Evangelion wp.jpg (565x800, 102.43K)

Other urls found in this thread:

youtu.be/P5yATAFDNW4
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

Watchmen?

>starts out as a fairly straightforward action show with the primary aim of selling toys
>later turns into a very dark, character-driven psychological drama

I'm sure there's some French cartoon that tries a similar thing.

Had this thread so many goddamn times but the general Any Forums consensus is what this user said . Mainly because there's people on both sides debating on Rorschach is right or not, along with Ozymandias' plans.

Plus the general hatred for Doomsday Clock = hate for the rebuilds.

Shit, I need to watch more French cartoons.

Miller Batman

Bojack Horseman
Watchmen

Steven Universe

Star Vs.

Attached: End Credits.png (500x2424, 955.92K)

Lastman?

I can't think of any western content where the creator tells the audience to go outside, make friends, and stop waifu-fagging (not that anyone listened). I don't think there is an equivalent.

Superboy Prime telling comic readers to go outside, and touch grass.

The Maxxx

If we talk about what impact a show had on the industry. Ren & Stimpy

Aqua team hunger force

I can't think of anything Any Forums besides and probably (France is big and I can't be bothered to sift through their output). One of the problems with finding a western equivalent to NG is that NG is all about deconstructing Japanese media tropes, which don't have the same prevalence in our cartoons (for obvious reasons). A western equivalent to NG would have to fit our cultural context, otherwise it would be esoteric.

The closest the west has come to it, in any medium, would be Battlestar Galactica (2005 reboot) and Twin Peaks (in the vaguest, most spiritual way possible).

But if we ever do get a Any Forums equivalent to NG, it will probably be made by Genndy. I'm pretty sure he had attempted something like it before, but I can't be sure

They did listen actually and they were insulted. That's why Anno was sent death threats by the fans

I get the twin peaks comparison but explain how BSG is thematically similar?

>Death threats.

Wait, really? They sent Death Threats after 3.0 + 1.0?

Flex Mentallo

American comics have spent the last near-30 years telling their audience to go fuck themselves

Somebody pointed this out a while ago, but isn't it weird when you actually sit down and think that internet nerds have been arguing about the whole Asuka vs Rei thing for literally 25 years now.

meatcanyon

still better than breeding threats

Japs sending death threats over shit like that isn't anything new. One of the later Dragon Quest games (maybe 9?) was originally intended to be an action RPG but then they backtracked on it because some wacko was mad about the genre shift and sent Yuji Hori letters threatening to kill him.

One of the Metal Gear games as well was partially influenced by Kojima receiving threats towards his wife and son.

youtu.be/P5yATAFDNW4