How are cartoons animated now

I have a question.
How exactly are cartoons animated now ?

I have seen the jaggy line thing in lots of cartoons now see picture. Some cartoons are obviously made in flash like the [CENSORED] however what is used in the industry today ?

Is this look style based or is is a result of the way it is animated and seen in HD ? Is all of it done digitally ? If yes what programs ?

Attached: linies.jpg (1920x1080, 117.11K)

Other urls found in this thread:

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wrap_(filmmaking)
youtu.be/vVziWi0vQkc?t=402
youtu.be/Z6j7nwAoCBI?t=192
youtu.be/ZVyd7BQb6ow?t=742
mobile.twitter.com/ianjq/status/1401270949228400647
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

Toon Boom and Flash are often used for digital puppet-rigged animation, though some shows are still animated frame by frame on paper then scanned in and colored/layered digitally. Other exceptions exist, South Park is animated in Autodesk Maya with character pieces and poses drawn in some other program.

>though some shows are still animated frame by frame on paper then scanned in and colored/layered digitally
Really ? Interesting. Do you know what shows are like this ? Do they not draw it on tablets ?

>and colored/layered digitally
What programs do they use for that ?

Attached: VivziePop.png (850x631, 396.01K)

I would be very surprised if any modern show still used Flash. Horse Show was famously wrought with crashes and other production issues as a result of Flash, even before the suite was retired, and they only used it because all of their assets were made for it back in the far-off year of 2010.

>Flash
Flash is OK however the problem is Adobe who is 300% cancer and literally refuses to improve flash so you are stuck with something from 2005 made to make fast vector animations and games for web browsers. The program can struggle with full HD and can not go into 4K.

Only what is there to replace flash ? The vectors and objects are killer features.

>Show was famously wrought with crashes and other production issues
Where did you hear this? They were pretty hush hush about everything on that studio. Also ToonBoom is still Flash, just more evolved.

Depends on the show also Flash isn't used anymore, it's other computer programs, I don't know why you people don't know this but most 2D stuff now is computer program or digitally or by hand frame by frame and animated by Korean or MAYBE in house studio

I thought it was well known, but looking back, it probably came up in con panels and the like. Jim mentioned it sometimes; I remember his off-the-record live commentary about the season seven finale, in particular. If he tweeted along those lines, it wouldn't surprise me.
Anyway yeah, Adobe Flash was a jank-ass program by modern standards and I think most studios have abandoned it. Even if ToonBoom is just a cleaned-up Flash.

Depends on the show.

Attached: Centaurworld software.jpg (1077x1279, 571.74K)

Toon Boom and Adobe Animate are the most popular options for 2D production.

>do you know what shows are like this?
Mostly stuff that has wrapped up production like Steven Universe and OK KO, but I think Spongebob and Amphibia are still hand-drawn and digitally corrected.
>do they not draw it on tablets?
Digital inking and coloring is done with tablets, could probably be done with a mouse but would be inefficient. Production assets (such as modelsheets and style guides,) storyboarding, and animatics are also done on tablet but as others have said in the thread it varies by show.

Attached: E2ZpD5TVIAsIyP5.jpg (4096x3218, 1010.6K)

>Also ToonBoom is still Flash, just more evolved.
Huh ?
>Toon Boom Animation Inc. is a Canadian software company

>Adobe Animate (formerly Adobe Flash Professional, Macromedia Flash, and FutureSplash Animator) is a multimedia authoring and computer animation program developed by Adobe Inc.[1]

HUH ?
Toon Boom Animation Inc.
VS
Adobe Inc.
HUH ?

Attached: 1566000442208.png (216x218, 48.62K)

Do they all hand draw it or do they only do some concept/storyboarding on paper ?

>wrapped up production l
What did you mean by this ?

When production is "wrapped up," it means the production period is over.
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wrap_(filmmaking)

>What programs do they use for that ?
I don't know if it's common on animation, but seen most artists use Photoshop for that.

>are still hand-drawn a
Theoretically if you draw something on a tablet then it is hand drawn ...

Skipping the paper part looks like a time saving method.

youtu.be/vVziWi0vQkc?t=402
youtu.be/Z6j7nwAoCBI?t=192
youtu.be/ZVyd7BQb6ow?t=742

PS: Did anyone seriously try using blender ?

Attached: is Blender good for 2D animation.png (1166x625, 545.46K)

>but seen most artists use Photoshop for that.
Is coloring every frame in photo shop not real torture ?

>Is this look style based or is is a result of the way it is animated and seen in HD?
Eh, both? I think the lines are jagged cause they were drawn with pencil. That's definitely the case with OK KO (pic related), and OP pic looks like it came out of the hand-drawn parts of Centaurworld (see: ), so it's probably also the reason there, but Centaurworld is extremely inconsistent when it comes to the jaggy line effect. In OK KO, the jaggy linework is very intentional and consistently there because the entire show is supposed to look like a child's notebook doodles, but in Centaurworld it appears only occasionally, and probably only in the second season. Outlines in Centaurworld are generally much smoother, and I think this pencil-drawn look is only used when the centaur characters are in the human world as if to ram home the contrast between the realistic, animesque designs of the human world/characters and cartoony centaurs. Even then, it's used sparingly, and to a various degree (in the same scene you can get a centaur with a really jaggy-looking outline, then in the next shot it looks almost smooth), I'm not sure what's the deal with that.

Attached: OK KO jaggy line.jpg (1080x6670, 1.11M)

>and OP pic looks like it came out of the hand-drawn parts of Centaurworld
Yes. It is Centaurworld and its from a clip where the centaur is zoomed in and then the camera zooms out the zoomed in picture has these jaggy-looking lines however I do not think it is intentional only a product of seeing a animation zoomed in so hard.

I like to see the video he linked however I can not find it.

>I do not think it is intentional
I don't know if it's intentional or not, but it's very noticeable in some human world scenes, like picrel, or in the scene when Wammawink flirts with the General. I think human characters don't have this look at all, which would point to it being intentional.

Attached: still don't know.jpg (1920x1080, 254.75K)

>I think human characters don't have this look at all, which would point to it being intentional.
1) Is this a zoomed in shot ?
2) The humans are animated by a different studio who can do things differently.

Found it:
mobile.twitter.com/ianjq/status/1401270949228400647

>Found it:
thanks.

If you can explain how to search twitter I be glad.