Underrated

Underrated

Attached: 91K9Vzax0tL._AC_SY679_.jpg (481x679, 71.12K)

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=MWc0I1-Sfj4
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

Very underrated. I had a blast watching this in the cinema.

You caught it on HBO the other day too, didn't you?

Nah, just a coincidence
I've been meaning to rewatch for a while and finally did it today. It's a solid flick, doesn't deserve a 5.0 score on imdb.

>no sequel with an older Billy Zane passing the torch to his son or grandson
ITS RIGHT FUCKING THERE

The movie didn't do well in the box office

>Rich white guy on an island killing whoever trespasses to steal his riches
How would they do a modern Phantom movie, without being accused of colonial imperialism?

Attached: 6266950A-6B49-46EE-9D29-FDC8BAE40993.jpg (828x1024, 64.79K)

The Phantom's family has lived in Bengalla for 400 years, they're not outsiders butting in. This could be emphasized,

Billy Zane was a fucking amazing actor. Ever since he spoke up against the Bush Iraq war he was blacklisted from acting and removed from Kingdom Hearts.

Fucking shame.

Of course, many of the best movies weren't big money-makers. Many profitable movies range from mediocre to dismal. Quality and being lucrative are not the same.

It's a miracle the Phantom has stayed white that long all things considered

He's the original "got buff to be a superhero" guy too. They had a rubber suit all made up for him and he was like, nah I'll just work out.

The movie was exactly the right tone. Pulpy and adventurous but not outright cartoony.
The guy that played Xander Drax was great too.

He played the Phantom with just the right amount of sincerity and confidence. He was believable.

Also, Zane really got in shape for the role. So refreshing to see a hero without rubber muscles.

HE always manages to find a European explorer or pirate princess to knock up in time for the legacy to continue.

I enjoyed it as a kid.

this was probably the first "spandex modernized with texture" costume too

Attached: 3f79fd41907cf8d10999b6129ff606e7.jpg (300x443, 18.12K)

I'd make the island more like Arthur Conan Doyle's Lost World/Marvels Savage Lands/DCs Dinosaur Island where it's just a mish-mash of peoples/monsters/things from all throughout time and space. From cavemen to spaceships.

The first Phantom made a pact with the island and it's people that he and his descendants would to protect it for all time from outsiders in exchange for getting his revenge. A young Phantom receives training from all the islands main people, he doesn't interfere in islands conflicts, his sole job is to protect it from outsiders or those how would threaten the entire island and it's people.

He probably hasn't. Previous Phantoms married wives from all over the world, including a Native American and an Arab princess. He's described by Lee Falk as "bronzed,": which could mean a lifelong tan or a dark complexion.

The comics and this movie depict the Phantom as a regular Western European/American white guy, but he really should be fairly dark.

Lee Falk had the Phantom as a mediator of the different tribes or as a defender against outside threats. He doesn't rule Begalla in any sense.

To be fair, The Phantom isn't just confined to Africa. The various Phantoms have all travelled the world quite frequently and they tend to be able to pick up plenty of friends and love interests along the way. Besides, he's not necessarily white, more like a hodgepodge of different ethnicities owing to all the various different brides that The Phantoms have taken over the centuries. I'd be more surprised at the fact that we've only recently gotten a female Phantom and how lucky the whole family has been in constantly producing male heirs.
This costume actually kicks ass for what it is. The skull imprint on it really sells the whole fact that he's supposed to be imitating a vengeful jungle spirit.

Which is basically exactly what I said...

Billy Zane is hardly "white" the guy is Greek and has that Mediterranean look

It's worth mentioning that Phantom originally lived somewhere in southern Asia, possibly India. Moving Bengalla to Africa came about later.

Attached: intro.gif (1245x286, 79.87K)

Sure, I'm chiming in.

There was an earlier female Phantom, Julie. She appeared in some 1960s comics,.

Lee Falk was asked what would happen if the Phantom failed to produce an heir, He said it hasn't happened yet but didn't say if the Ghost Who Walks might adopt a child to carry on.

His role as a demon on that Tales of The Crypt movie was pure gold...he played the Suave Villain archetype but knew how to sound and look menacing when the script required it.

youtube.com/watch?v=MWc0I1-Sfj4