Pulp/Radio Heroes Thread

We had a thread a few weeks back that went really well, and I’d love to keep talking about it.

Some stuff I’ve been getting into:
>Just a few chapters into The Living Shadow, the first Shadow Pulp story. Really enjoying it so far, I love how Shadow comes off like a force of nature.
>Listening to the Shadow radio series, absolutely love it. Finished two really intense episodes in Poison Death and Silent Avenger. I really like how the Shadow still feels like an unrelenting character, but isn’t stupid OP. Gives an edge to a still scary figure. The way he stops the sniper in Silent Avenger was intense.
>Listening to the Green Hornet radio series, loving it too. It’s an extremely unique take on the hero genre, and I love how the villains feel grounded and like actual crooks.
>Watching the Green Hornet 1966 series, really enjoying it. Top tier casting. It’s a shame we got that Seth Rogen garbage instead of a decent revival.
>Just started listening to some of the Lone Ranger radio serials and watched some episodes of the old series. Both are really enjoyable.
>Read the first two issues of Denny O’Neil’s shadow run, so far I think it’s a perfect marriage between writer and material.
>Listened to the first arc of the Superman radio show. One of the best versions of Krypton being destroyed, and a lot of fun in general.

Recommendations, talk, and overall love for the classics are welcomed

Attached: 79A9945B-17DE-4346-8702-714C365CAD9A.jpg (1236x1600, 379.3K)

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=wMk-CA_Gi7o&list=PLSBpRMBOTLNeWkC6tctBwPTdZNW50zMp-&ab_channel=KentAllard
youtube.com/watch?v=mrRlFZSBrJQ
youtube.com/watch?v=8BNwdSvmWnw&list=PLKrC8uoA6vST6oWhEEP79vuXajU5gF27c&ab_channel=TheRadioGhost
otrrlibrary.org/OTRRLib/Library Files/S Series/Shadow, The/
youtube.com/watch?v=uQMsL8ddVfE
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

The Avenger is a underrated.

Also, can we have a thread filled with badass pulp art?

Attached: Justice_Inc_1.jpg (400x612, 68.88K)

Sure thing fren.

Attached: sggl.png (450x644, 528.97K)

>Just a few chapters into The Living Shadow, the first Shadow Pulp story. Really enjoying it so far, I love how Shadow comes off like a force of nature.

Oh yeah, the way he's described creeping around is really effective and eerie. Reminded me of the 1979 Salem's Lot.

Attached: shadowgladney.png (702x890, 1.42M)

I don’t see why not.

Just watched a few more episodes of Lone Ranger. It’s a shame it doesn’t get recognition anymore, really good franchise.

Attached: 339E0BCD-A922-43FA-897B-0B791B681E36.jpg (2137x3000, 1.36M)

The Orson Welles series gives that vibe too. Like he’s always moving around you, watching your every move, waiting for you to make a mistake.

Anybody know a good archive for those old episodes of the Shadow radio show?

First time I'm seeing such a thread but I'll admit I'm not a Any Forums regular.
There's a lot of great radio shows during this era and a lot of them are rather easy to find if you look hard enough.
Here's a few links
youtube.com/watch?v=wMk-CA_Gi7o&list=PLSBpRMBOTLNeWkC6tctBwPTdZNW50zMp-&ab_channel=KentAllard

youtube.com/watch?v=mrRlFZSBrJQ

youtube.com/watch?v=8BNwdSvmWnw&list=PLKrC8uoA6vST6oWhEEP79vuXajU5gF27c&ab_channel=TheRadioGhost

Attached: 817MOVz6KUL._AC_SY550_.jpg (409x550, 61.29K)

This would make for a great grindcore album cover.

Attached: shadowcreepingdeath.png (655x768, 1.05M)

Don't want to turn this thread political, but a few months ago the old urban legend about Walter Gibson seeing The Shadow irl ("The Phantom of Gay Street") got mentioned on Rachel Maddow after that house got raided by the feds over Roger Stone connections.

Some idiot in the comments confused Orson Welles with George Orwell.

Attached: orsonwelleswrote1984.png (664x702, 155.03K)

>the old urban legend about Walter Gibson seeing The Shadow irl ("The Phantom of Gay Street")
got a longer version of this tale to share?

otrrlibrary.org/OTRRLib/Library Files/S Series/Shadow, The/

There’s episodes that were only recently discovered on there too, mostly the ones at the top I believe.

>We almost got a Shadow movie directed by and starring Orson Welles
It’s not fair

>
There's a lot of great radio shows during this era and a lot of them are rather easy to find if you look hard enough.
I think it’s more about knowing about them.

One’s I’ve been listening to and enjoying right now are
>The Shadow
>Green Hornet
>The Lone Ranger
>Superman

I tried Vincent Price’s The Saint, but it honestly didn’t stick for me. Price is great, but the stories and the character are surprisingly tame.

>It’s a shame it doesn’t get recognition anymore, really good franchise.
You'll quickly discover that The Lone Ranger media peaks with Clayton Moore's show and his movies. Everything involving the IP that was made after his show is shit: Legend of The Lone Ranger, The WB pilot, and the Disney movie. I'm 100% OK with it being a "dead" franchise. The Dynamite comics have been decent (except for Mark Russell's series), but that's about it.

Walter Gibson was a big fan of the occult and wrote several books on it, in his later years he thought he saw a ghost in his apartment that resembled The Shadow (albeit sometimes with a top hat instead of a fedora) and wondered if he'd created a Shadow tulpa. The supposed ghost has been called "The Phantom of Gay Street" (Don't laugh, that's really the name of the street).

Attached: gaystphantom.png (932x1447, 2.38M)

Most of Robert E Howard's original stories are public domain and free to read online.

Conan the Barbarian, Kull, Solomon Kane, Bran Mak Morn, El Borak, Dennis Dorgan, Breckenridge Elkins, many stand-alone adventure, horror, Western and comedy stories waiting for you.

Attached: reh.jpg (689x1024, 108.44K)

I saw the new movie, and it seemed to completely misunderstand, or maybe just flat out ignore, what makes the radio and tv show good. There’s such an unrepentant optimism in them that’s contagious, watching a man of pure moral integrity in a time where lawlessness ruled everything and his constant battle with those forces. It’s a shame that cynicism seems to be the main theme of modern superhero films.

There are 181 Doc Savage and they are wildly uneven because of many ghost writers, But the stories from 1934 to 1937 by Lester Dent are great fun, Inventive, fast-paced and over the top.

Attached: ds.jpg (600x876, 121.46K)

Here's another mention of the legend, from Weekly World News. This is from 1981, back when they reported on actual mysteries and legends and not the later made-up shit like Bat Boy.

Attached: shadowwwnw.png (863x1157, 2.06M)

I fell off of pulp stuff after Dynamite stopped doing it as often but I'm a huge fan of their older stuff like Doc Savage, Shadow Year One and Green Hornet Year One. And David Liss's Spider was great.
I'm currently reading the 90s Tim Truman Spider through the single issues. What are Any Forums's thoughts on them if any? I think it's a nice, more pulpy version of the material than Liss's 2010s version and I'm considering getting them custom bound in a few months. Not sure what the company'll think about the content tho

Norvell Page's stories of the Spider are so apocalyptic and violent that you get black and blue just reading them, Not just a Shadow imitation, the Spider is a mad genius who faces overwhelming menaces and every issue is a rollercoaster ride,

Attached: spider.jpg (600x835, 137.05K)

Razorfist posted this thread.

That's like Moore and Gaiman claiming they saw John Constantine walk into a pub.

To see an adaptation of the Lone Ranger that's true to the character, you can't beat the 1956 film with Clayton Moore and Jay Silverheels,

Just watch the first few minutes and see if you don't get pulled in,. (And turn up the sound for the theme song!)

youtube.com/watch?v=uQMsL8ddVfE