I'm 22, soon to be 23. I just started to take drawing classes in January...

I'm 22, soon to be 23. I just started to take drawing classes in January. What should I practice and study so I can start to make my own cartoons by the time I'm 25, if not earlier?

Attached: 1645484268915.jpg (480x480, 30.75K)

Other urls found in this thread:

files.catbox.moe/bzfhxl.jpg
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

Post your art fag

Dont ask here of all places. practice what you want to draw. Learn to zoom in. Get that circle tool you can practice with

just practice the basics and don't rely on shortcuts unless you want to hamstring yourself later down the road. also be willing to share your art and get criticized, one of my setbacks was my unwillingness to seek advice or have my work analyzed

I think most people get caught up in drawing whacky or edgey or smutty art. Draw just everyday shit. Just get the hang of doing a background shot.

Also don't give up. I drop out of my art class, never took another one. I'm 32. I don't regret my life, but I just want to say if life starts to get hard and you want to quit your class don't and push through man.

Start with portraits then move to anatomy then learn construction and practice moving the body lots and lots. Don't waste much time with colouring if you want to make cartoons
Also your age doesn't mean shit

Thats another thing; don't become obsessed with an already stylized subject. the more realistic the better since reality is pretty much the basis of all inspiration

Plenty of people over 30 drawing and plenty of people younger who spent a ton of time, got good then dropped it
Good advice is don't try to be the best, just know what you want to make and how to accomplish it

>Also your age doesn't mean shit
user...

Attached: 136773-chris-hansen.jpg (420x630, 15.15K)

That actually feels good to hear. Thanks user

He won't post his art. What a fag. You will never succeed

For the fundamentals, I would look at old WB, Fleischer, Disney and MGM shorts. They're pretty generic, but that'll help with your study so you can focus on the basics like construction, line of action, posing, etc. I also recommend the Famous Artists' Cartoon Course, which is now available for you to download since it's in the public domain.

For more intimate knowledge on the figure, I recommend Stan Prokopenko, he's got great ways of breaking down the figure in ways that are easy to understand. I understand you may not have $300 to throw down on one of his courses, but you should still be able to learn quite a bit from the videos he has up on Youtube.

I wouldn't bother going to an expensive art school for animation, since there's so much you can still learn with online resources and most any director will care more about whether you know how to use ToonBoom, your portfolio and if its relevant to the work they're looking for based on what position you're applying for, etc. Nowadays it's common to test potential candidates for storyboarding by doing storyboard tests. They give you characters to draw, props, a one or two page script you need to follow, they're gonna see if you're good with staging and composition and getting the action across clearly.

Which by the way is another thing you should study - the animation industry itself and entertainment trends in general. You're responsible for your own well-being, you need to be able to understand and read up on the news and the implications for people like you who want a career in what's presently a very unstable field. Streaming services are on the rise and these huge conglomerates are scrambling to put original programming on their services, but not ideas from you - they want previously existing, popular properties. See Paramount+ going for things like Garfield, Big Nate, etc. So that's probably what you're going to be working on for your start.

>I'm 22, soon to be 23. I just started to take drawing classes in January. What should I practice and study so I can start to make my own cartoons by the time I'm 25, if not earlier?
pyw
unrelated but I'm 21 and I made a new year's vow that I would begin to learn how to draw this year

>What should I practice and study
deez nuts

You want to make a cartoon?
Maybe take some classes on speaking, because you gotta know people to get a cartoon.
Also probably some writing classes too.

For the love of god man, study something other than modern shit. Too many amateurs these days study Steven Universe and Owl House

Don't come to Any Forums for art advice, retard. Just download whatever resources you can from /ic/ and then fuck off to reddit/DeviantArt/Tumblr/literally anywhere else because you will get better feedback there than you will ever get here.

Addendum: don't be discouraged if you think your art is ugly or if anons say it's shit. Just keep on practicing and remember to enjoy the act of drawing. If you ever reach a point where you cannot derive enjoyment from making your art, consider taking a break and just drawing things you think are cool.

Sorry for the delay, I was busy, but I have a break now.

I practiced hands with my class a couple of days ago, and here's one of my recent drawings that I'm posting on a link because it's kinda NSFW-ish.

files.catbox.moe/bzfhxl.jpg

Attached: 7458.jpg (1080x3165, 924.08K)

So you make a thread that isn't even related to cartoons or comics, show zero initiative to find resources that could help you that are so abundant on the internet, and then, when asked to post your work, you couldn't be bothered to show something decent to the thread and instead link to a NSFW image?

Man, you just do NOT link to NSFW images when the subject's about "how do I get better at drawing to go into animation". Not even with a disclaimer, just don't post stuff like that here. I think what you should do is make a drawing for this thread to show what you can do, something SFW. If you can't be bothered to do that, then I'm doubtful you have the work ethic to have a chance in the animation industry.

>22
Already too late

Pick whatever artist you want to learn from and copy them. Really study that artist and don't worry about having your own style when your just beginning you'll eventually develop your own style once you've figured out the basics.