A being which ancient civilizations would refer to as a demigod, if not a god

>a being which ancient civilizations would refer to as a demigod, if not a god
>is entirely benevolent and only exists to serve humanity is their time of need
How did adults take this shit seriously, again?

Attached: superman.jpg (1900x950, 403.81K)

Shut up, Lex.

At least this shitpost thread is funny.

But arguably, the entire point of advancement of civilization is getting further away from societies that worship strength and power and closer to the societies where everyone can live comfortably.

>shitpost thread
Wrong thread.
>the entire point of advancement of civilization is getting further away from societies that worship strength and power
You call acknowledgement that it exists "worship."

>You call acknowledgement that it exists "worship."
I call acknowledgment that you need to learn fucking English.

Adults?
The character was made by kids, for kids
OP needs to move on to other dicks

What in that sentence is grammatically incorrect?
To put it another way, in case some meaning was ambiguous (I do occasionally forget how often I talk to children on this website); strength and power will always be with us. It has been here by nature, and will only be strengthened by technology, not diminished, no matter what the Linux programmer in your dorm says.

Its okay to be sincere, to enjoy the trite and the honest. Its sad seeing people, with their minds poisoned by irony and dimestore cynicism, pointing and laughing at people who are happier than they could ever imagine.

Being happy is one thing. Believing that your god will give a drop of piss in a bucket of bleach about your freedoms and way of life when he comes is another.

Most people don't have as much of a fixation on strength and power as you do.

These are just getting sad.

You call it a fixation, I call it a reality check.

ok

Yes, someone married to their freedom-flavored doublethink will only grow more desperate to never let it go.

Adults werent supposed to take it seriously, it was a comic/radio show for 10 year old boys

And they grew up with the same freedom-flavored doublethink into their adult lives, never mentally aging past that point.

Ah good, we've started the daily Superman OBSESSION threads.

Attached: superlaugh.gif (496x360, 338.21K)

I call it childish cynicism. Fantasy is the realm of infinite possibilities.
Is a kind god really so unbelievable? I dont think so.

Supermanchildren are pathetic, sure. But seeing a grown man cry about grown men enjoying it is way more sad. Get a life faggot

The idiots constantly hating on Clark for being a boy scout are just telling on themselves.

Plenty of civilizations viewed "demigods" or "gods" as on the whole beneficial. Zeus might be a philanderer and a bit of a dick, but he kills monsters, defends civilization from enemies such as the Titans and Giants, and ensures humanity can continue to exist. But while Zeus has negative qualities, other gods or demigods more or less don't - the Dioscuri for example, who are very nearly unilaterally helpful and heroic protectors of humanity.

I'll give you this: a kind god is, indeed, pure fantasy. We'll all see it first hand when the wealthy merge themselves with technology and ascend, or when technology becomes fully independent of human input. Whichever first.
I don't shed a tear for these people.

Christ, who do you faggots think you are? Get over yourselves.

Makes sense that such ideas would come from a culture so primitive. If they lived to today, they would know for certain that anything more powerful than them wouldn't shed a tear over their enslavement. In fact, such a being would probably encourage it.
I agree.

I don't get it
Is this an anti-Supes thread or some internet atheist thread disguised as an anti-Superman one?

Neither, at least not primarily.

It was the 1930s. A time when man's technological achievements were outpacing his social awareness. Your typical "man on the street" saw himself surrounded by huge skyscrapers, massive dams, impressive rail networks, but he himself was just some poor slob who was lucky if he had work.

Superman is basically wish-fulfillment for people like that. They could read about him and imagine themselves not be powerless pawns of Big Business, Big Government, Big Science etc. but a "superman", able to master any challenge the world threw at him.

Of course, this raises the question: In the 21st Century, what sort of "superman" would be our wish-fulfillment fantasy? Or do we even need one these days?