Brat Pack

Currently reading through this and I don't think I've ever read a comic that's as bitter as this one. Were the late 80s really that cynical?

Attached: Brat_Pack.jpg (250x372, 34.75K)

It’s so over the top that I Reads like a parody of edgy 80s comics. I’d say Rick was goofing on his pal Alan Moore but I think he was just being edgy without the Irony.
Maximortal is a great follow up and so far Kid Maximortal is good
Hope he gets a chance to finish his planned 5 volume (??) Series.

>I reads
I mean “it reads”

I fucking love Rick Veitch. Maximortal and the Supreme run he did with Moore are two of my favorite Superman-archetype stories ever.

>Maximortal is a great follow up and so far Kid Maximortal is good
I should read that.

Brat Pack story could be better if the story was more tighten up. Like you see the sidekick slowly getting turned into the old ones, then bam a straight copy of the kids. Which I guess is the point. But I'd like if we got to see the kids slowly accepting their new roles.

>looming US/Soviet nuclear war
>rightwing administrations worldwide disassembling every functional government program they could get their hands on (military ofc being the one exception)
Well yeah, it pretty much was.

Attached: 57nayqpsvi751.jpg (900x522, 89.51K)

>Were the late 80s really that cynical?
Some non-big 2 ones were
>I don't think I've ever read a comic that's as bitter as this one
It was largely Veitch venting after his Swamp Thing arc with Jesus got cancelled out of fear over Christian protest groups, and inspired by Jason Todd being killed through phone voting. BP's a pefectly fine comic but edgy as shit. I find most of his other comic just messy narratively and not in a good way, personally

It makes some decent observations but it makes it's point with all the nuance and self-awareness of an edgy teenager's deviantart portfolio. I didn't realize that there were follow ups so I'll check in on those.

Worth mentioning since it probably doesn't warrant a thread of its own, but Rick's brother Tom Veitch's passing was announced today

Kid Vicious is a great hero name

>DO I LOOK LIKE IVE BEEN THROUGH A FUCKING MEAT GRINDER?
i love this story and im suprised it hasnt been adapted after the whole "adult"" super bullshit phase of amazon and netflix

>Reads like a parody of edgy 80s comics

It's directly inspired by Death In The Family, the voting promotion and how fans voted Robin dead.

Attached: Batman_428.jpg (640x980, 140.82K)

I hear a lot of complaints regarding modern society but looking back it would seem that a lot of the problems are nothing new, just in a different package.

It's weird to hear people getting so worked up about that since it was nothing more than a blatant PR stunt but then again there's been 30 years of the same bullshit since then so maybe I'm just used to it.

Most if not all "adult / deconstructed superheroes" comics that have been adapted to the screen tend to gloss over any point that the original had to make.
>V for Vendetta
>Snyder's Watchmen
>Watchmen Sequel
>The Boys
etc.

Rick Veitch was upset because DC wouldn't publish the "Swamp Thing meets Jesus" issue.

I use to tag
"Die with your mask on"

Which was only a handful of times. Scared of getting caught and all. Anyways I thought "Die with your mask on" is such a cool super hero like because super heroes usually have masks. Post COVID, I now hate that line. Everyone was forced to wear masks. Seriously I go to the bank, and everyone looks like they're going to rob the place

Very. Some of the best comics and storylines like The Dark Phoenix Saga, The Night Gwen Stacy Died, and The Judas Contract were written then. But you also got Marshal Law and Watchmen coming out. In a sense, it was closer to going back to the cape genre's roots as an offshoot of mystery/horror comics than anything, considering how bleak things seemed in the comics.

On top of this, it may be based on some darker shit, like the Hollywood sex abuse scandals, McMartin, and Mr Cruel (Doctor Blasphemy kind of, sort of, reminds me of him).

Wasn't the whole point of "die with your mask on" to show how idolization wasn't healthy? I mean, it's pretty much just "die with your boots on" which has the same problem.

The Boys isn't an example of missing the point. It has a more focused story that delivers the themes of the comic without the comic's retarded plot, and with mostly better versions of the characters.

TNGSD was '73 but culturally people in the 70s were less optimistic than the 60s so the 80s followed on.

I wish they kept the comic and actually printed it as soon as Vertigo was formed.

I see. The Boys is the only one in the list that I haven't seen so it's good to hear at least one of them wasn't worthless.

It does

But mask means something different now.

Attached: 61PZoUr4YVL._SL1200_.jpg (860x1200, 91.39K)

The show is not worth watching.