I have literally never heard Any Forums say anything good about Bendis. He seems to be the guy that everyone hates...

I have literally never heard Any Forums say anything good about Bendis. He seems to be the guy that everyone hates. Why is it like that?

Attached: B8584A7D-9AD9-4644-A333-D5C274CAEA8E.jpg (360x360, 36.21K)

I say good things, there's a bunch of good along with the bad, that some have a hard time of admitting. His early Avengers events and runs were a lot of fun and very readable, a lot of his Uncanny was decent too.

Some of the stuff he’s done is based.

>He has black people in his comic therefore he is bad.

Attached: 1602696636883.png (680x762, 118.18K)

Everything he writes is either shit or turns to shit.

Bendis?
The writer?
Brian Michael Bendis?

I’ve seen Any Forums praise his Daredevil, early Ultimate Spider-Man, and independent crime books. Some people even enjoyed his butchering of The Avengers.

The problem is that he’s outstayed his welcome and has become formulaic and hacky. His ego went into overdrive right as he was let loose from the grip of editorial.

His crime comics and Daredevil were good and remain solid.

Ultimate Spider-Man was exciting at first but completely lost momentum part way through. Worse still USM has aged poorly!

I was a diehard Avengers fan before their Bendis revival, so I hated his run right from the start. He trashed everything that made the Avengers work in order to cultivate his dream team of quipsters and guaranteed money-makers.

Everything after that from his crossovers, guardians, Ironheart, Miles, Superman, Legion, etc. has been the drizzling shits.

His style got really repetitive when he started applying it to stuff it doesn't work for, so his selling point was diminished over time. He has some good ideas but his execution in a lot of books comes off kind of lazy.

For longtime fans, Bendis has done long-term damage to a lot of books/characters that still persist to this day.

Yes

He actually has quite a number of good works... from decades ago. Mostly street level shit.

LOL. He became the Brown Bomber with his CPT power for a reason user. If you want to call Dwayne fucking McDuffy a poljack, that's all you user.

I’ve seen more people complain about the fact that he messes up the personality of the character he writes about rather than skin color.

I haven't gone out of my way to read stuff by him so I don't know if he has good stories - I've heard some people say good things about his original works - but every story I've read by him has been just plain bad. He doesn't understand the characters he's writing, he's ignoring things previous writers have established, all of his characters have the same voice, and I can't stand his dozens upon dozens of speech balloons.

His grubby little fingerprints are all over Marvel. Almost every major character or team has been negatively affected by his writing in some way at some point.

That? The pronoun used to identify a specific person or thing observed by the speaker? That "that"?

I'm curious, Can you please elaborate? All I see are people complaining about Miles being black and Jon being gay.

He made the Bombshells, teen hottie and milf, villain team. So good for him.

You do realize he didn't make Jon gay, right?

The only Marvel character who benefitting from being written by him that springs to mind is Norman Osborn. Even Bendis couldn't mess up Stormin' Norman.

The earliest bit of hate he got was for Disassembled but he was popular even among anons right up until Secret Invasion. That's when things started going bad but Dark Reign was good but then Siege happened and then Heroic Age was a boring slog and it just got worse and worse. His tendency to write most people OOC and blatantly ignore continuity was always there but it got into all his work. isn't entirely wrong but Bendis made too many black characters and that's not going to fly on here. To make matters worse, they weren't even good characters, mostly boring and redundant, and their stories were mediocre at best.

He's a bad writer, that's really it. He can't write interesting characters nor can he write compelling plots. He doesn't seem to go into any story with a plan and just makes things up as he goes which leads to inconsistent characterization, stuff getting brought up and then dropped because he either got bored of it or forgot, characters often acting wildly OOC because he just pulls them from handbooks and makes a personality for them, and plots that completely veer off into totally different directions in an unnatural manner.

Look at Civil War II which was supposed to be about heroes arguing over the viability of criminal profiling and then somehow it turned into a story about an Inhuman becoming a celestial being. Or Secret Invasion which was supposed to be about, well, a secret invasion of Earth by the Skrulls but partway through it just turns into a generic action comic that ends with a stinger that was either thrown into an otherwise serious story as a joke or Bendis completely forgot about because he threw it in without any real plan; he just wanted a shocking scene to end on.

He tries to cover up his inadequacies as a writer -- which have only gotten worse as he's gotten older and exhausted what few ideas he has -- through constant, nonstop dialogue and quips because he thinks he's like his idol David Mamet. Which gets into another huge problem with Bendis' work: that he'd clearly rather be writing TV or film and comics have always been nothing more than a platform for him to try and springboard his way into that world. Unfortunately for him, this just leads to decompressed comics where nothing happens and characters throw out a lot of words in an annoying manner.

Also he tends to ruin whatever he gets his hands on. Guardians of the Galaxy, Legion of Superheroes, the Avengers, the X-Men, etc., it really doesn't matter. If you want a good example of all of Bendis' issues in one storyline then read The Last Will and Testament of Charles Xavier.

There are a great number of fans online that complain about Bendis and for a myriad of reasons, some legitimate and others steeped in ignorance.

It’s odd that you would chose to focus on the morons making barely coherent racist remarks against him, instead of engaging with the fans making valid critical assessments of his lack of character voice, penchant for shock value, repetitive dialogue, disregard for fellow creators, etc.

Early Ultimate Spidey is genuinely great and we should have more reboots like it. Issue 13 or 14 that is set only in Peter's bedroom as he's telling MJ he's Spidey is amazing.

The problem with Bendis making so many black guys (because it's always black guys, very rarely does he create black women) is because it's not being done because he thinks "oh, black guy, cool" but because he very clearly has a weird, fetishistic fixation on black guys to the point where he unironically seems to wish he was black himself. Like the guy went and changed the races of Lightning Lad and Lightning Lass after his LoSH series had already been revealed to black... and of course played right into the "black people with electricity powers" stereotype as a result.

...even decades ago, the bullpen was making fun of him, calling luke cage his waifu.

It's pretty clear that he views Luke Cage as a self-insert in the sense that Luke Cage is everything he wants to be: tall, muscular, strong, handsome, charismatic... and black. The guy even went and adopted black children. He clearly has some kind of self-image issue where he desires to be a cool black guy instead of a schlubby jewish man.

His superior Spider-Man was decent I enjoyed his midget fetish but not much else