Capeshit Adventure Guilds

Why are superheroes unlicensed vigilantes, when it would make way more sense for them to be essentially registered freelancers? Groups like the Justice League and the Avengers should just be adventure guilds, but for capes.

Attached: 1555c78f7608fede446379137457.jpg (1920x1013, 297.77K)

Because government regulation always fucks shit up.

Isn't this just the O.S.I and guild system from venture bros?
Also because the government is shady as shit in the marvel/DC universes, and justice league/avengers already have UN backing depending on the era.

This. But also having them be effectively freelance government agents also takes something away from the superhero idea. Being a vigilante who does what the police can't, act proactively, while riding a thin line from being the very thing they fight, is part of the fun. Vigilantes, whether they are actively hunted by the law enforcement, barely tolerated, or actively endorsed, are fun because they operate outside the rules.

Trying to turn them into just another service like the police, fire service, ect, and forcing accountability to government on them feels like the kind of thing a sweating politician would suggest because they are scared the next generation won't grow up as obedient little bootlickers and might lynch him someday.

Attached: yy3mzaneh64irl0jqw1h.jpg (695x389, 58.7K)

>Isn't this just the O.S.I and guild system from venture bros?
More or less, and they managed to milk 6 seasons out of that concept.

>GUBMENT BAD
Yes, but letting a bunch of weirdos with bullshit superpowers run around doing whatever they want with no oversight whatsoever is much much worse.

It only works if the setting is pre-written with it in mind. I read Super Powereds this last week, and Forging Hephaestus/Villains Code, and both have heroes as in the former an extension of the government like the FBI, and the latter has them sanctioned by the law but trained within that sanctioned group and only able to operate within warrants when it comes to actual law matters/when villains aren't actively rampaging, and the villains have a sub-sect who handle shit the heroes can't/won't deal with to keep collateral and families being targeted from happening as often as it realistically would via warnings and then supervillain wetwork. They are both decent, written by the same author, but they lack the spark and atmosphere of something like Batman or Daredevil.

You also have cultures where not being an obedient drone is seen as a terrifying concept and could be grounds for being labelled a villain all by itself: see Japanese supers in MHA and OPM. MHA has the vigilantes spinoff series, but I half expect the hero to be 'recruited' by exception in the end. I might be being too hard on the nips here as they have been writing shit like Kamen Rider for longer than I've been alive, and vigilantes, it just seems like something that would be anathema to their conformist culture, and MHA and OPM do seem that way.

Attached: 1628478060318.jpg (960x639, 69.52K)

>Yes, but letting a bunch of weirdos with bullshit superpowers run around doing whatever they want with no oversight whatsoever is much much worse.
Implying they have a choice. A large element of the superhero genre (used to be, before them being government agents caught on in so many new franchises) used to be operating outside the law specifically to deal with shit that doing things by book would never manage, i.e. breaking into the criminals house and finding out where he is keeping the sex trafficked women, and freeing them while beating the criminals to near (or to) death to make a point to the other criminals. It also used to be the case that for the government to have any chance at control they needed a group like SHIELD or heroes willing to reign in the rest, because the entire point is that metahumans aren't something that can be conventionally controlled/governed so easily, especially when you have villainous ones taking out entire neighbourhoods and even towns before a reactive force can do anything about it.

>Yes, but letting a bunch of weirdos with bullshit superpowers runs around doing whatever they want with no oversight whatsoever is much much worse.

How could they stop them? Sure the government could stop your street-tier heroes but once you get to the superman tier the only thing take could stop them is a nuke, and that's a maybe. The guild system from venture bros only works because it's trust-based because being a superhero/villain in the universe is just a game of cowboys and Indians for rich people.

>>GUBMENT BAD
Yes. The government is bad.

>GUBMENT BAD
Unironically yes, in many cases. I appreciate our first world societies, but I'm not going to credit corrupt and sociopathic politicians with us having them. This isn't your grandpas society. Officer Wilkes isn't going to give you a jaunty wave as he makes sure everyone is safe on his usual beat through the neighbourhood and with little Billy a well-meaning telling off for walking into the road. He's a stressed asshole with barely any education, a gun, who (rightfully) thinks a nigger is going to come up behind and cap him before he can react, and if he doesn't hand out enough tickets/make enough arrests he won't have any chance of being promoted to a safe desk job. And it's entirely intentional due to years of social engineering and corruption. Gubment, at least in current year, indeed largely bad.

Just look at all the Covid bullshit, with lockdowns for us, while in places like the UK the politicians who pushed them through on emergency powers were having fucking garden parties and laughing at the plebs. You genuinely believe people like them having the ability to order Wolverine, or Warmachine, or more realistically Homelander around isn't absolutely fucking terrifying even conceptually?

Attached: RorchTest.jpg (278x182, 5.67K)

Yeah, hence the guild system.

... Fuck me, Any Forums just straight up does not read comics. Though to be fair, writer often forgot or even actively ignore the thousand different ways to disable superpowers.

Yeah, with sponsorships and competing for no 1 hero instead of being a vigilante out of altruism! I love manga that miss the point becsuse vigilantism is frowned upon by their govt

Vigilantism is frowned upon by anyone with a functioning brain. Besides, altruism is not a real thing. The anthropologists lied to you, and you're an idiot for believing them.

Also, you apparently have never heard of a psych test. Just don't admit the psychos. Not that hard.

OP my (wo?)man, we may have a psychic connection since I thought the same thing for a while.
Superheroes contractors that get contracted to hunt villains or pratrol a city sound so cool and new to me, while also making it realistic in a relatable level.
Though prime hunter style superheroes who hunt criminals by themselves sounds good to me.

Anyway, I feel like the world would adapt to superhuman and would actually make jobs to profit from there powers (thought some place would make it illegal).
It add novelty, plus it realist without going into pretentious stuff "super heroes would be tyrant" or "super heroes would be incompetent".

Seriously, most capes are constantly bitching about how they're broke all the damn time. Why not make a career out of it?

>it realist without going into pretentious stuff "super heroes would be tyrant" or "super heroes would be incompetent".
THIS.

Luke cage and iron fist already did that and there are already government heroes like captain atom and Warmachine.

How 'bout a series that has a similar idea but isn't about some boring highschool class and a kid with stockholm syndrome and too much power ?

>Vigilantism is frowned upon by anyone with a functioning brain. Besides, altruism is not a real thing
>getting mugged by someone unarmed but threatening
>someone nearby steps in to help
>no sir, i dislike vigilantes! I hope you're deputised or I'll have to call the cops on you. Here's my waller, sir mugger

Luke cage and iron fists aren't high school kids what are you talking about?

>>getting mugged by someone unarmed but threatening
>>someone nearby steps in to help
This literally never happens, ever. You're an idiot.

>This literally never happens, ever. You're an idiot.
It doesn't happen often at all but would you frown upon it if it did?

>... Fuck me, Any Forums just straight up does not read comics.
Translation: S-Shut up!

because freedom punk

Attached: 822361B6-57C5-41CA-A1CF-BAAA14E7A9F6.jpg (1023x1598, 532.75K)

I have read 5 complete runs of Suicide Squad in the last week.
I can read a hundred more comics.
Guess what? Government still bad.

Attached: SS21.jpg (1988x3056, 1.6M)

That's because the government doesn't want you to help. They want you to whip out your smartphone and shout WORLDSTARRRRR as some 68 year old woman is mugged by 5 feral nogs.

>b-but what if tho
There is no hypothetical here, because that does not happen. Hey, retard, what if a swarm of bees formed into the shape of Marilyn Monroe? Oh right, that's not a thing, so there's no point in speculating.

>They want you to whip out your smartphone and shout WORLDSTARRRRR as some 68 year old woman is mugged by 5 feral nogs.
I'm Scottish. that happens enough with scheme kids

The problem comes from what guilds actually are. Guilds are a membership based organization that exist to guarantee a minimum standard of quality and to promote livable wages by constricting labor supply within a given area. They don't really work in context of superheroes because there are no wages, no barriers to entry, and no way to provide minimum standards for superheroes due to massive disparities in capabilities and powers.

You poor bastard. Living in a country with someone like Sturgeon at the head is punishment enough.

He's not going to give you an earnest answer because it immediately demolishes his stupid point.

That old bitch is probably a drug dealer, and would've shot me because I have darker skin than the mugger.