Has any comic artist actually gotten fired for tracing?

Has any comic artist actually gotten fired for tracing?

Attached: 39390BA9-E717-4F4F-851C-1D846468DEB2.jpg (828x1031, 293.62K)

No it's industry standard. All cape artists are corner-cutting hacks.

Everyone does it. Even manga artists.

Attached: ssj captain america.jpg (688x831, 151.42K)

This. There are deadlines to meet and at least three other staffers for pages to be handed to. Jones does not deserve to be fired, nor does Greg Land, but with Wonder's Girl's massive delays Jones was clearly trying to save time spent on preliminaries. Land is a whole other ball game than two traces on one piece

>Has any comic artist actually gotten fired for tracing?

No, if anything, it gets them more stable employment since they can finish everything in time - which is the most important measure at Marvel, because they are about churning books out nonstop and not having shit like editorial oversight.

Attached: lego snowspeeder.jpg (1290x932, 500.65K)

>nor does Greg Land
Fuck off

Tbh I don't care if an artist traces, whether it's other people's art or photographs, as long as it's not obvious and ugly, like Greg Land's art (pic rel). OP looks good and I approve of it. I read comics for good art and a good story, I don't care about the process of how it got made.

Attached: aV0Qdvd_700b.jpg (250x324, 33.48K)

Why would you even trace something so ugly. At least trace Alex Raymond or Jack Kirby

what's ugly about it

Greg Land's sequential art and sense of storytelling are not bad. 99% of the posing being traced is. It's like JRJR's figures turning to shit to meet deadlines but with tracing

Jones' artstyle wouldn't fit tracing Kirby, and I love Kirby's art. Raymond would work

>fired
god i hope she doesn't get fired for this. being on the wall of shame is punishment enough. everybody traced and swiped: foster, raymond, kirby, moebius, buscema... she just cut corners and will know better in the future.

this is one of the oldest pictures in my Any Forums folder.

Attached: SueStormInflatable.jpg (500x647, 117.42K)

Attached: 511bf3bfad1dd529b22f28e5321d8dc9.jpg (1147x683, 82.09K)

looks more like a reference than a straight trace

No. Tracers think that it's impossible to draw without tracing and they are the only honest artists because they admit to tracing.

That's a shame. I really liked her Lady Killer series. I don't like tracing, but Marvel and DC have found it acceptable for years to employ tracers to meet deadlines. It's not going away.

Wonder Girl has been nothing but traced facial expressions. About time the shit artist was caught.

Very easy to see you're not artists yourselves, everyone fucking traces, tracing is essentially what allowed western art to develop into what you consider western art, and these guys need to churn out full pages on a daily bases.
The problem with most tracers is that they're also retarded (not a problem with tracing though, most people are retarded) and don't even try to hide that they're tracing.

The overlay even proves this one is not a trace. There's a difference between referencing and tracing. That said, it's always embarassing when someone recognizes where you used a pose from.

OP's is blatantly an outright trace.

no, she traced it but changed details.

>trace a distinctive 70s Kirby pose
>angle the camera 45 degrees to the right
>no longer a trace
?

The Kirby thing's hypothetical. I'm aware the Cap image is from like the 2000s-2010s. My point is, no, it's a definite trace.

>lines are more angular overall
>body is positioned slightly differently overall
at best she traced the cape, if that, the rest she just used the original as a pose reference

Yarabros.... it's over

Attached: 720x1280-pdzAaDMuBvPTwLgE.webm (720x1280, 710.27K)

You don't even know what tracing is, then.

More proof women are fakes and don’t belong in comics.

Attached: 3785AD4D-6E4F-41AC-9F6A-0572FCA3949F.jpg (1000x1500, 52.6K)

if tracing disqualified someone from belonging in comics, half the men working right now would be out on the street

Nah, they still had to redraw the costume, face, hair. only the frame of the outline is there.

I mean I'm an artist and I can understand the need to make harsh deadlines. But I also know that when I use to trace in my younger years, my art later suffered for it. It's one thing to trace from a 3d model, but stealing other people's exact drawing and just coloring over it is just unprofessional. She even used to same shadows and hair details, not just the pose. At least Greg mostly took free use images off the internet.

Greg pulls the first result off Google Images most of the time

I don't know, those shadows do it in for me
I don't even mind tracing from picture but not other people's work