What is your thought on meta writing?

Attached: om4k09imrdky.jpg (1988x3056, 882.46K)

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=6XvXsuSJ-1A
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

A great tool that few writers know how to use properly.

fpbp

It's cool but people who try too hard act like all meta fiction has to be Watchmen-level, which it does not

Depends. Are we talking fourth wall breaks or metafictional narrative or theory of forms and other philosophical bullshit where a story exists at multiple levels of varying reality?

Metafictional narrative is so damn hard to fuck up that it's rarely worth it. Fourth wall breaks can be fun, but they also risk taking the audience out of the story or just annoying them since a lot of people don't like them. And turning your work into a hypothetical or literal philosophical treatise on the nature of a reality is going to be vary from useful and interesting to harmless and boring to harmful and overcomplicated depending on just a fuckton of shit.

Also I'm more a fan of creating in universe excuses for pseudo fourth wall breaks like how Yu Yu Hakusho reveals at the end that all the narration was actually diagetic because the entire show was actually a documentary being put together after the events described and depicted therein.

>few writers
Only Alan Moore knew how to do meta-commentary properly.

Attached: 5d84c5c0afb86530f7c80300a9b52d45.jpg (500x500, 55.29K)

Alan Moore doesn't even know how to do linear storytelling properly.

>Only Alan Moore knew how to do meta-commentary properly.
Midwit opinion. While it shouldnt be the only form of storytelling, a lot of decent comics wouldn't exist without others giving it a go both before and after Moore

You say that, but to this day Watchmen and Killing Joke is universally considered the best capeshit stories. Even the best Superman story is written by Moore.

This is why Moore's work is being reprinted year after year and why Geoff Johns, Grant Morrison, Mark Waid and Scott Snyder's stuff has to be collected on the Second-hand market.

When it comes to meta then there's Moore, and then there are hacks who try to be Moore.

Attached: bookscan-184671.jpg (527x612, 75.39K)

Not that user but none of this means others shouldn't do superheroes or meta. That's one of the most inane things I've ever read

I like it when it's done for humor's sake

Attached: Plastic Man (2003-2006) 020-002.jpg (1988x3056, 2.3M)

I'm not saying what writer should or shouldn't do, all I'm saying is that to this day only Moore did it right.

There is no "right". He did it the best, but themes can and should be explored in different ways

This entire page feels like im reading some massive cope, was the author projecting?

>Mxyzptlk gets raped by commissioner Gordon
>Mxyzptlk gets turned into Lobo's cumrag
>Mxyzptlk gets beaten by Bat-Mite every time forever
>Mxyzptlk gets NTRed by his wife. Repeatedly. With everyone. Even Kiteman.
Don't need fame on Any Forums to put ideas in people's heads. You've got the power.

agreed

Attached: OK KO Kennedy_cartoonsdance.webm (852x480, 2.03M)

I think this should've been about how important it is to be real. Bald asshole midget doesn't exist for us, but will be remembered far more than several unfortunate souls who'll die and promptly be forgotten in a bit. Mxyzptlk has also been seen by and effected more people than your average Joe off the street. But I think that takeaway is slightly more sad.

>implying Mxyzptlk will be the one getting cucked
Oh nononono Superbros, we got too cocky

Attached: Mxychad.jpg (400x611, 93.57K)

Overdone and an easy way to look smart without actually putting in any effort.

youtube.com/watch?v=6XvXsuSJ-1A
>oh no, bros!! why isnt' Alan Moore writing this? >These fucking hacks

nah

>You say that, but to this day Watchmen and Killing Joke is universally considered the best capeshit stories. Even the best Superman story is written by Moore.
Watchmen is the Citizen Kane of comics and I do not mean that in a good way.

That's okay Superman is gay now, and Mxzy is voiced by Gilbert Gottfried which is a fate worse than death.