I think we can all agree, that even if cartoons ripp off anime, ideas are cheap and it's the execution that matters...

I think we can all agree, that even if cartoons ripp off anime, ideas are cheap and it's the execution that matters. And American showrunners are just terrible writers

Attached: SU-Pilot.png (875x480, 445.21K)

I mean it doesn’t help when they do it it’s just a bunch of references they’re making

I'd say the writers succeeded because you're still talking about the same show.

Yes I’ll agree to that. It really goes for all references, there’s a certain point where it goes from homage to plagiarism.

Japan invented Marilyn Monroe to kill kennedy. based chinks

Every time I see pics or gifs from the SU pilot I get depressed.

Attached: 1611111745386.jpg (625x547, 69.57K)

>I think we can all agree
no

Shut up faggot

Attached: 1636387379856.png (1498x1119, 277.6K)

As much as I hate Steven Universe, credit where credit is due. Sometimes they tried a little harder than most.
Other times, they tried a lot less.

Attached: steven_universe_the_movie_(2019)_01.webm (720x404, 2.3M)

Can we all agree that OP is a faggot?

I think it's more about the takeaway. Silent Hill 1 - 3 famously rips off entire scenes from various movies and other media, and people never cite that series going, "Just a bunch of references, can't stand on its own two legs!". It's like a blender, they put in a bunch of things that inspired them, mix in a bunch of their own ideas, and spit out something that stays with people for decades. There are people who adore Silent Hill but don't give two shits about David Lynch because, even though SH directly takes scenes and copies them shot-for-shot, Silent Hill is NOT David Lynch. Even the plagarized scenes offer something new that you walk away from being intrigued by.

Regarding things like Steven Universe or Owl House, I don't think the same can be said for those. In fact, I think if someone went, "I really like these shows" and you pointed them into the direction of the things they were ripping off, they would fall in love with THOSE shows and drop SU or TOH because the latter just feel like knock-offs instead of inspired pieces.

It sucks because Rebecca Sugar and Dana Terrace have such incredibly specific styles that if they were more experienced showrunners, they could've made a kids cartoon that was as unique as Ed Edd n Eddy or Invader ZIM or Courage the Cowardly Dog or Samurai Jack. Something that is inherently theirs. Instead, it just feels like they got overwhelmed by being a major production on a big network and wanted to listen to all the cooks ideas in the kitchen resulting in something rather bland and generic for both shows.

Attached: Eumql1hWYAQEKgJ.jpg (1080x1080, 73.12K)

In my personal opinion as an artist, I really do not mind the concept of rip offs, or stealing from other shows, or copying. Nobody owns a motif, and if one show wants to do something another show did, nothing is harmed. Go for it, go wild. Do the Akira bike slide for the thousandth time who cares. I just want shows to do what works for them, damn the people who hem and haw about who did it first.

I want to add because I was running out of space, when SU has the episode "Nightmare Hospital" and they say they drew inspiration from Silent Hill, what did that end up meaning exactly? That it was a spooky hospital with a monster? It's such a superficial way of taking inspiration and shows you don't actually understand the thing you're getting inspired by, probably why so much of the show just feels like hollow references instead of dissected inspirations.

Attached: maxresdefault.jpg (1280x720, 66.2K)

Pretty much this, /thread.
The transformative factor is very important and these showrunners don't really understand what ''inspiration'' means.

It’s okay as a background thing but then you have nerds trying to recreate a scene and it’s just dumb

Wasn't this animated by a japanese studio?

>ideas are cheap
if they're so cheap how come showrunners don't have any?

You're basically saying it's ok for Silent Hill to do it because you like it, but not for Steven Universe because you don't like it. Your subjective feelings on these works shouldn't be used as a logical argument as to why it's ok or not ok to use references and insipration from other media. There are people who will never see Tarantino as anything more than a hack because he loves to cram his movies full of references to older movies and TV shows. Does that mean Pulp Fiction and Kill Bill are movies that shouldn't have been made?

>You're basically saying it's ok for Silent Hill to do it because you like it, but not for Steven Universe because you don't like it.
No, you just interpreted it wrong because you feel attacked probably because you love Steven Universe.

There's a reason why when a show like She-Ra or Steven Universe, people hop on to the next thing whereas something like Avatar ends up retaining fans for years, even though Avatar also lifts from a lot of sources of inspiration.

Keyframes by Takafumi Hori, but still digitally animated by the Korean animators.
At this point, I am willing to give them credit for even thinking of doing this. They didn't have to do it. It's an acknowledgement that visuals are important.

Avatar is a much older show than Steven Universe and She-Ra, you don't know how they'll be viewed in another 10+ years. Personally I think Avatar is way better than those shows, but that's not what we're talking about. And I didn't interpret what you said incorrectly, I told you what I thought the point of your argument was. Your response didn't do anything to change my mind.

OP, people like you fail to realize American and Japanese show creators go back and forth from ripping each other off. In fact this is nothing new, Sally the Witch was a straight up rip-off of Bewitched.

Oh, and I dare people to address this.

Attached: Alt Westaboo.png (986x605, 373.43K)

If Steven Universe was pitched in the lates 90s, would we have gotten something closer to the pilot as the actual series?

Attached: file.png (512x512, 121.7K)