The House

So, I like stop motion animated films and decided to give this a watch
Anyone seen it? It looks very nice, but I swear it's nothing but wasted potential holy shit.

It's aimed at a slightly older audience to most animated films, so I figured they'd actually do something interesting with the animation medium. At best you get a cuss word but there's nothing else.

And what's even the point? There are 3 stories, centred around one house, but none of them relate to the other, and neither tie in, in any sort of way.

The 3 stories are OK, but just so undercooked. Any interesting element is never expanded upon, so you're just left feeling underwhelmed by the end of them. Things are just presented in a base way and you're supposed to accept it. The house appears to be haunted, but don't expect anything deeper than that.
It's why I hoped there was an extra arc to it all, to salvage what were pretty average tales, but it wasn't so.

I was very disappointed. I'm sure there's some sort of theme it was going for but I'm not feeling it. It's got good reviews, but I struggle to see why. Good voice acting tho'

Attached: the-house-movie-review-2022[1].jpg (1200x500, 400.02K)

Come on Any Forums, someone must have seen this. If nothing else it's a pretty film

I found the first story to be the best one but that’s because there’s a lot I didn’t understand. The three story format for a film combo where are the three stories don’t really relate in anyway, that’s actually more common than you think. I think this is more an effort to flex creative muscles than anything else.

I liked it, but I wish they had made more of an effort to connect the three parts. Make it the same house at different points in time for example. Part 3 felt more like a drama/comedy bit. I still enjoyed it though, especially part 2's ending. And the animation was great.

>that’s actually more common than you think
Maybe, but isn't there an overall message, or some sort of underlying theme between all 3 stories in a case like that?
I don't know what it was here. The description states it's about 3 generations centred around the one house. The house is the common theme, but there's nothing about it that really transfers to either story.

There was no payoff, there's no proper ending, they're just very contained stories that I felt never expanded on what I thought was actually interesting about them.

The first story was my favourite too, but I was still underwhelmed because there was so much they just didn't delve into or bother explaining. You can argue oh it's best left to imagination, and in some cases that is true, but here it just felt like a lazy
Mystery is good, but when there's no attempt to even expand upon it, it loses its appeal

I thought the whole point was it was the same house? That's how it was explained to me I think

>It looks very nice, but I swear it's nothing but wasted potential holy shit.

Go back to reviewing cartoons on YouTube, loser.

Care to expand or are you just a flaming faggot that has nothing of substance to ever say

"Wasted potential" is the recurring theme that causes most of the conflict in all three of the short films. They kill themselves over the potential the houses bring. Only the cat was able to learn to let go without losing herself.

The last story with the cats was weak

The trailer looked really pretentious. I haven't heard anything interesting about it, so I didn't watch it.

I wouldn't say it's pretentious, maybe you could say the last story is a bit. They also have little quotes before each story, but the stories themselves are fine. Just dull really.

Well, yeah, everyone one of them was enamoured by the house that essentially didn't love them back.
It was a step from being haunted, but that doesn't make the stories any better or even more interesting imo

We are VERY interested in the house.

Attached: l-intro-1639756203.jpg (1600x899, 156.03K)

I don't think it was any weaker than the others.
A bit confused though, I mean, it starts off taking the piss out of the hippy shit, then by the end of it the hippy shit saves her, even when his actions were pretty retarded

I thought it would be the same story told from three different perspectives. Humans with their cats move into a rat infested house and we see their respective perspectives.

Of course they do have a message, the three of them, but you just expected something different and blinded yourself of it.
The three story revolve around the house and how their inhabitants grow extremely attached to it, to the point they don't care about anything else happening around themselves. The third story shows this with the cat girl being so adamant and stubborn to the idea of fixing the house, thinking that this would bring happiness to her and everyone else, but clinging to this idea brought her nothing but sadness, frustration and desperation. We even see how as she grows more desperate and adamant to fixing the house. She even starts to lose those around her, increasing further and further her feelings of despair (it is mirrored with the increasing water levels in the house due to the flood).
At the end, she learns that sometimes we might become over attached to ideas and emotions resulting in self-delusion convincing ourselves that everything will be better if we accomplish them or get sticked to it and that we just need to learn to let go and stop this vicious circle for the sake of ourselves. With this she becomes the first main character of the stories to realize this... However, she leaves.... But with the house? This was a what the fuck conclusion to me. I mean, I liked that she learned her lesson but I found it somewhat bittersweet that the she didn't left behind the house.

That'd be a bit more interesting.

Personally, I knew nothing about it. I mean complete 0, not the concept, not that it was 3 stories, nada.
I saw it was stop motion and decided to give it a watch.
The first story gripped me, because of where I thought it could lead. It reminded me of the likes of Coraline, but with the older age rating, I figured they'd go that extra bit further. Maybe have some genuinely unsettling horror, some darker themes, nothing too crazy, but just that next step. It never went there, and then the story ended leaving any questions I had unanswered and any intrigue I had out the window. It could have been so much more.
I watched the 2nd story thinking it might tie back in, it didn't. Then by that point I only had a bit of the film left so saw it through.
I didn't think any of the stories were done very well, just all half baked really.

That's a fair assessment, thanks.
I think I might have got that, but even then I don't really see why we needed 3 stories to give us the same thing? I feel like it was clear in the 3rd one, in fairness it's sort of spelt out there, but why the same message across all 3? I don't think it adds any more weight to the Cat story to see the others fail before her. In that story alone you can see the destruction caused by her sticking to the house, as you said.
I also think that's a bit of a mixed message. Isn't it implied the house is a bit haunted? And if that's the case, then it seems unfair to make the point of being blinded by an idea, when the idea itself is working against you due to other forces.
>further her feelings of despair (it is mirrored with the increasing water levels in the house due to the flood).
You think the water level reflected her emotions? I'm not sure, didn't they say the flood happened every year?

>she leaves.... But with the house?
I didn't get this either. If you're moving on, then move on, right?
But even with this said, with this underlying theme, I honestly don't think it improves the movie for reasons mentioned above. I just didn't find any of the stories particularly interesting or meaningful, nor is the overall message.

I think the house might be a metaphor for perfection and what a facade of it.

The first story is a family perfectly okay. Gives a vibe of old money dwindling away. The dad gamble most of it away, and the son has a few things leftover. His family comes in and throws a monkey wrench, reminding him how far he fell. You watch the story, not going to recap. But the point is he is given the house in exchange for his control. He gives the house control and loses himself to the house. Ends with telling the daughter to leave.

The second story is about the facade of perfection and how hard we work to obtain it. He works hard to make the house look good but a lot of things in the house still doesn't work. In the end he has nothing and becomes lost in the mess he's made.

The third is very much about being able to let go and walk away. I'm.not sure if the last two Tennant's were actually there or had left a long time ago. It is contradictive the boat is also the house but I think the point is she is heading out into the unknown.

Not him, I like the thought here, but I don't think it necessarily works for me.
The first family isn't really chasing perfection, just a better life. In fact, all of them are. Blinded by a hope. In the 2nd story, the rat isn't a perfectionist I don't think. His skills are probably a bit sub par, else he'd have more people interested in his properties. He also had one crack in the skirting boards he didn't even bother rectifying properly.
Even in the 3rd story, the Cat isn't chasing perfection, just a functional hotel

That's a good point.

Who were the team behind this?
I liked the stop motion, even if I didn't like the film
What else have they done? I wonder why they specifically want the stop motion route. You don't see too much of it anymore