This was way better than the comic

Pacing. Dialogue. Plot.
All better in the movie.
The Manhattan creation sequence alone was god tier.

Attached: MV5BY2IzNGNiODgtOWYzOS00OTI0LTgxZTUtOTA5OTQ5YmI3NGUzXkEyXkFqcGdeQXVyNjU0OTQ0OTY@._V1_[1].jpg (2000x3000, 1.3M)

Other urls found in this thread:

vimeo.com/135198112
youtube.com/watch?v=OswxDfzEXaU
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

But it was virtually the same shit. Same dialogue and plot. The only major thing that changed was the monster. The comic is overall better because it explains each character's world-views better, is more detailed (includes documents at the end of every chapter) and even has a meta comic.

The meta comic was shit and you know it.
The dialogue is mostly the same. But more verbose for no reason. Almost like a child who has a word limit on an essay.
And everyone agrees the squid was retarded.

> Squid makes sense because it was entirely foreign to earth and forced all sides of the conflict to join against a common enemy
> Dr. Manhattan, a creation of the U.S. government, makes sense because...

I was also 15 once

Honestly, I can't be assed to watch it because in most ways besides >le squid, it seems to be the exact same thing as the comic only abridged. And I guess it's hard to ask for more in an adaption, but... I mean, I already read the comic.

>b-but they understand that Manhattan defected from the US so they wouldn't think it was a US attack!
>Meanwhile in real life
>so yeah coronavirus was a Chinese plot...

Without the squid it falls apart.
>The squid is a representation of absurd comic book solutions being used to solve real world problems
>Making Dr. Manhanttan the fall guy completely falls apart when you realize the entire world would blame the US since he was a US asset, rogue or not

I think the movie is fine overall, but ultimately it does have less detail, some rushed pacing, and makes some strange changes for the sake of it. Like instead of Rorschach leaving the child murderer to burn alive and standing outside as he watches the house burn he just hacks him up with a cleaver. Or how he lies during therapy at first but gives his entire life story in the same session, instead of having the therapist go on the slow descent into his warped world-view over multiple sessions with him.

I do genuinely like how Manhattan's origin story was handled. It was well-paced and atmospheric. And I like that Nite Owl actually had a moment of breaking down in anger and grief over all the genocide and watching Rorschach get killed, as opposed to just deciding he should probably have sex in the middle of the floor in a mass murderer's house.

Attached: Manhattan.jpg (980x980, 73.56K)

>The only major thing that changed was the monster
this is what moviefags actually believe

if you can't tell what's wrong with THE FIRST FUCKING SCENE then you don't know shit about watchmen

it's actually just a terrible adaptation
>completely changes the color palette for Snyder's standard blue
>fucks over Rorschach and Manhattan's characters COMPLETELY
>glitzes up and glamorizes the violence
>misses the point of the civilian scenes so just cuts them
>doesn't try do anything cool formally to parallel the stuff Moore and Gibbons did
>replaces the squid carnage with a hole in the ground for muh 9/11 reference
it's just crap that idiots suck off because it lifted some panels (except not really because of the aforementioned color shit)

My main thing with Any Forums opinions is this:

>"It was nothing like the comic, its shit!"
>"It was too much like the comic, its shit!"

Some people on this board, I genuinely don't know what it is they want from a Any Forums movie other than apparently it just not existing?

>Any Forums is one person

Yeah pretty much. The extended version is pretty good too as we get to see Nite Owl 1 last stand. But it sucks we didn't get to see the therapist try to stop a domestic situation between two lesbians

I did say 'some people', as its a view I see around here a lot. Said by many people in different threads.

The last stand of Nite Owl 1 was one of the best scenes in the movie and the fact that it was cut out of the original cut is a crime

Having watched it this is my opinion too. It's interesting as a case study in adapting something that's 'unadaptable', and as a demonstration of how small aesthetic choices can completely change the tone of something even when it devotes huge amounts of effort to being faithful (up until the squid change).
But if you aren't interested in that then the comic has everything in the movie, but more and much better.

The single most interesting part of the movie is the title sequence, where the backstory of superheroes and their cultural influence is presented as a montage. It's the onlystandout time where the film really uses its medium to differentiate itself from the comic.
vimeo.com/135198112

The movie is obviously shittier.
Not existing is good, but if the adaptation must, then it better be its own thing.
The Watchmen movie made it very clear that a film adaptation should not try to adhere too much to the source material.
A loosely-based version with non-shitty acting might have been enjoyable.
Then the endless debates of which was better would be more reasonable.

Yeah.
Things could have been a lot worse.

Attached: 2009vs2019.png (808x344, 421.84K)

People don't dislike this movie because it was "too much like the comics". How disingenuous can you get?

People hate it for how it isn't like the comics.

Attached: 1614906269443.png (720x715, 478.47K)

>Not existing is good, but if the adaptation must, then it better be its own thing
You brain-dead retards who think like this have been holding back Western media from getting good comic adaptations for decades on decades.

those are certainly words

SAMEFAG!

It's really amazing how lazy it is.

Who was in the wrong here?
youtube.com/watch?v=OswxDfzEXaU
Is there any Viet caped in comic?

I think that's kind of the perfect illustration of Snyderman's problem.
I think "Nite Owl's Last Stand" is virtually the opposite of how it's portrayed. It's not a heroic last stand where he feels the blood of his youth just before it ends. It's an old man being beat to death senselessly because ignorant thugs know just enough to have all the wrong ideas.

Attached: .jpg (600x338, 109.54K)

The Comedian for fucking a woman and expecting no consequences + killing her
Manhattan because he did nothing to stop the woman or Blake
The woman for trying to stab The Comedian

This is brain rot in action

In the comic Manhattan has the power to alter his environment on an atomic level, and uses this ability to mass produce lithium batteries. This means America has limitless clean, renewable energy in the world of Watchmen. All cars are electric and airships float in the sky.

In the movie he still has this power as we see on Mars, but for some reason he doesn't use it to his own advantage. Instead the change in plot requires there to be a worldwide energy crisis that Jon needs Adrian's help to solve. There are no electric cars, but the airships are still there, unexplained.
In both the comic and the movie, Hollis Mason runs an autoshop with a sign outside that reads "obsolete models are our speciality", meaning cars with combustion engines. In the movie this makes no sense.

The squid only attacked new york. No way russia wouldn't follow that up by attacking while we are down. However the movie had him attack all countries equally so everyone is reeling. Makes much more sense

That's a good point. The movie has these little flourishes to make some things more heroic or righteous. Case in point the final scene with Rorschach and the follow up. Watching Nite Owl rage out while Adrian takes it feels cathartic. The scene even ends with Nite Owl and Silk Spectre looking down on Adrian before they fly away from what I remember. I get the feeling these touches were to sanitize the film and make it more palatable to a general audience. Looks cool and makes us, the audience, feel good. But does it keep the spirit of the source? Maybe not so much.