I have a friend who's on RYM constantly, he's on the spectrum and obsessed with rymcore and rating it...

I have a friend who's on RYM constantly, he's on the spectrum and obsessed with rymcore and rating it, constantly circle jerks rymcore on twitter and will check rym any time a song comes on at a party to check the artist rating

wat do?

Attached: 1655620632628.jpg (974x548, 123.9K)

You can't help these people. They're more interested in cataloging music than listening to it and it's probably just best to never talk about it or silently disassociate.

It means he has no opinion of his own and is a blind sheep. He has to feel like is always part of the winning side with the high ratings. Same kind of person who is on the edge of their seat hoping Melon Man gives their favorite album a high score so they can keep enjoying it.

Link his rym/twitter account

Kill him or stop associating with him.

At least he goes out. He will humble himself over time.

They don’t enjoy music they just like feeling smart for listening to stuff that most people wouldn’t enjoy because it just sounds bad. Spiderland is the 28th greatest album of all time one spot above Sgt pepper because the idea of art being enjoyable and meaningful is something that autists don’t understand. Many of mu are the same

It’s interesting because there not doing to fit in it’s the exact opposite really. They want people to think there so weird by listening to shit music, it’s just they have to be told which “expiremental” album is good cause it’s not actually possible to have any real feelings towards it

reminder you guys are posting on fucking Any Forums

End him with a bullet to the brain.

is your friend literally me?

Sounds like the average Any Forums user

he can listen to what he wants to, what the fuck

No you don't understand he's not listening to music correctly and it's cringe

It sounds like he just discovered RYM yeah, lol.
You're overthinking the rating-checking thing though. He's probably just curious what others think about it.

>he's on the spectrum
nothing to do then, let the man rate

Fucking kek, if this is real than this is autistic as fuck. Good for him though. His RYM account must have thousands of ratings

that's impossible if he only listens to rymcore

I'm a little on the spectrum too. We like systems that help us understand the world. I'm not that autistic ("PDD-NOS" as a child), but I also think it's common for people to pay a little too much attention to critics when first really exploring music. After a little while of really listening to the classics, understanding music in different ways and getting used to analyzing it, and becoming more discerning in our tastes, I think we gain confidence in our own judgments.

I never paid attention to RYM, although I like putting my own album ratings on there, because most people on there are people in their early 20s who just shit out trendy opinions in pathetically narcissistic attempts at being "influencers." However, when I first got really into music, I did listen to old documentaries on stuff like punk, jazz, etc., I read stuff by Lester Bangs and Robert Christgau (neither of whom I care for now), and I spent some time on the big artists. Some I thought were wonderful right away, like everyone from The Who to The Jesus and Mary Chain to DNA to Richard Hell. Some took a few listens to click, but when they clicked I fell in love with them, like Television, The Velvet Underground, David Bowie, and the New York Dolls. Some just aren't my thing, no matter how hard I tried, like Swans and Animal Collective.

I remember the moment I "got" jazz via Davis, Mingus, and Blakey, it literally changed the way I thought about music, it was a powerful moment.

I eventually realized there wasn't much for me to gain from people like Christgau and Bangs, and I quickly had contempt for Fantano, but I found voices that brought valuable insights like Mark Fisher, Guy Mankowski, and John Doran.

It sounds like your friend is at the beginning of his journey. Just try to get him to trust his own judgment, and to see how flawed the RYM crowd is.

>check rym any time a song comes on at a party to check the artist rating
i literally check the RYM page of every album i listen to... im not using it to form my opinion just get a better understanding of how its understood culturally... sounds pretty normal. always upsets me when normies know some relatively obscure artist or something then it turns out they know nothing about them but just heard it once cause the spotify algorythm showed it to them

If he doesn't like several albums or singles with a 2 (or even 1), he has no real taste whatsoever.

reminder that nobody cares