Burzum pling plong music

Anons, I have finally given Varg's ambient phase a chance. A friend gave me a tape of Hliðskjálf and I am fucking floored. I totally expected boring drone shit, not that dark and intense new-agey stuff. Reminds me a lot of other Black-ambient stuff from the same period (mostly polish/ russian stuff) and now I want to find artists/ releases that have a same feel to it. Any suggestions?

Attached: R-2930980-1315243815.jpg (600x598, 144.12K)

Other urls found in this thread:

youtu.be/I94fuwhGYwE?t=170
youtube.com/watch?v=02l3DujpoJ4
youtu.be/z4atlVE9THA?t=1053
youtu.be/ML0v6RgM3s0?t=373
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

his other ambient stuff
what did you expect
i think his best ambient stuff is on hvis lyset tar oss since the synths sound so wavey and distorted there compared to every other ambient track i've heard from him.
i do enjoy the shittiness of dauldi baldrs though, play it whenever you're sick or feel like shit

I am curious, between this one, Daudi Baldrs, the Ways of Yore, and Thulean Mysteries, how would you rate them?

Daudi Baldrs is a steaming pile of garbage but I enjoyed it for some reason

best review of any album on this site. Gotta give it a listen now

i have not heard ways of yore, but in terms of quality:
1. hlidskjalf
2. daudi baldrs
3. thulean mysteries
but daudi baldrs will always be my personal favorite
it's a really miserable sounding album, there's so much filler. it's also a step down from the ambient shit he did before and after, hlidskjalf sounds significantly better even though that was recorded in the same shitty prison environment.

Hlidskjalf is the only good burzum pling plongs. There isn't much else that quite has that same sound though. You can try Wongraven and Depressive Silence though.

Thanks user. But there is still nothing similar outside of Varg's discography that you think gets to the level of Hlidskjalf and Daudi Baldrs? I have given Wongraven and Mortiis a try for example, and these are not at all on the same level (negatively speaking)

fuck, scratch that, put thulean mysteries second and daudi third. my mistake.
you'd be better off asking a dungeon synth user or a bigger black metal fan. from what little i've heard, varg was definitely one of the better ambient musicians from the scene, but even he has some stinkers. i think it's because varg even admitted he was much more interested in electronic music than black metal (or it could just be revisionist bullshit, but it makes sense, there's a lot of keyboards in his stuff)
still, i think his best ambient stuff was on hvis lyset tar oss, it's integrated well into the album and he never got that sound again.

100% agrees. HLTO is just peak BM and peak Ambient at the same time. Kinda bummed his other ambient albums are maybe not as good (but i am curious about daudi baldrs still)

The Ways of Yore is a masterpiece.

Hlidskjalf is his only good synth album

Varg is a talented dungeon synth composer, not just because he basically invented the genre on his own. Check out the "Dungeon Synth Archives" Youtube channel if you want more.

Neptune Towers. Two albums by the guy from Darkthrone. Marvelous shit.

hlidskjalf is the best by far

1. The Ways of Yore = Most solid, accessible, influencial, and best production
2. Hlidskjalf = Very solid but less accessible, excellent production
3. Daudi Baldrs = Unique but suffers from the bad prison production, less creative in that it's the first album of its kind
4. Thulean Mysteries = More like a compilation of songs, good but not produced like a true album

redpill me on The Ways of Yore. what makes it good? how was it influential?

Yeah ehm, Mortiis wants to have a word with you behind the alley

WOJNAR!!!!
youtu.be/I94fuwhGYwE?t=170

Similar natural foresty feeling to Hliðskjálf. Biggest difference is that there are vocal passages throughout the whole thing, but I find they add to the mystique. There are a few handful of Polish "war ambient" releases from the 90s revolving around their black metal scene at the time that emphasis European Paganism over the more fantasy-esque dungeon synth everyone else was doing, similar to what Burzums ambient has going on.

youtube.com/watch?v=02l3DujpoJ4
youtu.be/z4atlVE9THA?t=1053
youtu.be/ML0v6RgM3s0?t=373

Attached: Wojnareditied.jpg (1020x1041, 139.85K)

Dauði Baldrs sounds pretty good for an album made in prison.

>Varg is a talented
LOL