I'm looking for some inspiration for lyric writing

I'm looking for some inspiration for lyric writing
Who are some of your favorite lyric/songwriters in rock music?

My all time personal favorites would be Isaac Brock, Elliott Smith, Paul Westerberg, Black Francis, the list goes on. Honorable mentions also go out to Bowie, Lou Reed, and John Lennon.

Attached: big tim.jpg (1200x900, 358.94K)

Other urls found in this thread:

youtu.be/Aku2W_LKahI
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

Joni Mitchell during her jazz fusion days is prime lyric writing. Hejira and Court and Spark have some great verses.
>big boat chugging back with a belly full of cars
>all for something lacy
>some girl's gonna see that dress
>and crave that thing like crazy

Attached: bryan-ferry-on-video-set.jpg (2832x2832, 1.19M)

I was feeling autistic, so I made a ranking list
I also consider the musicians under D-tier to still be very talented songwriters btw

>S-tier
Isaac Brock
Paul Westerberg
Elliott Smith
John Lennon
Paul McCartney
Bob Dylan
Prince

>A-tier
David Bowie
Leonard Cohen
Neil Young
Brian Wilson
Robert Johnson
Michael Jackson

>B-tier
Black Francis
Stephen Malkmus
Freddie Mercury
David Byrne
Jerry Cantrell
Robert Smith
Syd Barrett
Marc Bolan

>C-tier
Jeff Mangum
David Berman
Lou Reed
Tom Petty
Cat Stevens
Jackson Browne
Tom Waits
Joey/Dee Dee Ramone
Nick Drake

>D-tier
Kurt Cobain
Jagger/Richards
Donovan
Iggy Pop
Mark Lanegan
Jack White
Billy Corgan

>E-tier
Bruce Springsteen
Jim Morrison
Don Henley
John Denver
Zappa
Michael Stipe
Thom Yorke

>F-tier
John Cougar Mellencamp
Bono
Dave Matthews
Maynard James Keenan

>S-tier
Helix
>F-tier
Rush

Lireally just listen to Bob Dylan he’ll teach you how to write songs. Preferably whilst on amphetamines. Basically you’ll learn to let the rhyme dictate the song. You’ll need to expand your vocabulary as well if it’s not huge already

Pete Wentz

Attached: JohnPrine.jpg (1920x1223, 333.22K)

Jim Morrison that low. Prince and Paul that high. Love them both but they’ve both written more shit songs then good. Paul never wrote a great set of lyrics after he left the Beatles

LMAO this is hilarious Leonard Cohen and Brian Wilson are on the same level as MJ. Like huh

Brian Wilson never wrote a good song without Mike Love or Tony Asher or Van Dyke Parks

Johnny Carson just doesn’t exist I guess

He died I hear

Don't even get me started. MJ has an impressively high quantity of songs with great lyrical hooks. Are Billie Jean, Don't Stop 'til You Get Enough, and Beat It not the ultimate earworms?
I'm not even much of a fan of his music desu, but I can at least recognize that.
Jim Morrison is a total hack, and I say that as a huge Doors fan

you're forgetting roger christian
youtu.be/Aku2W_LKahI

more like Roger Muslim

hahaha and you say you need inspiration for lyrics, my lad you've got WHAT IT TAKES

Nigga were say talking about songwriting not just melody writing. And Jim Morrison was the lizard king

lol you so you like the doors and you don’t really like Micheal jackson and you don’t think there songwriting abilities come into that it at all

goddamn neither of you can type lmao
and yes i put songwriting and melody writing in the same basic category, seeing as the melody = the notes you set your lyrics to.

jim morrison is the best becuz he is the best, he is the tautology that looms over all current music...
Until we return to the great constructions of the future, Mr. Morrison will continue to haunt all aural specters, without fatigue, without lack.

TEMPORARY