We like to think of vinyl as this analog medium that experiences some sort of freedom from audio limitations but it...

we like to think of vinyl as this analog medium that experiences some sort of freedom from audio limitations but it doesn't. there are huge audio limitations of vinyl, they're just different. things at the bottom of the audio spectrum like a kick drum or a bass sweep take up huge amount of physical space on the grooves of the record, which neglect the rest of the spectrum. higher frequencies such as certain synthesizers or high hats have grooves that are so miniscule that the needle doesn't even register them. beyond that, if the sound is too loud then the needle will move back and forth more dramatically, creating distortion. so when you master music for vinyl you simply cannot be as dynamic as you can with the digital medium. one could argue that the reason they enjoy vinyl is to escape the loudness war and that's valid but the medium of vinyl itself is still more restrictive and limiting than a high quality digital file. when people say that vinyl sounds warmer to them, they're actually right but the referencing and inaccurate replication of the actual audio master due to the after mentioned limitations. if that's the case then carefully adjusting an EQ will accomplish the same results, as will listening to a digital file

Attached: file.png (735x479, 437.06K)

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=ls677AMkaVg
myredditvideos.com/
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

Objectively I agree digital CAN absolutely sound better than anything else. However I've found that most digital files I come across are shit and more importanly I personaly just prefer the sound of vinyl.
Wait ti'll you hear this one on vinyl, my copy sounds extremely detailed. youtube.com/watch?v=ls677AMkaVg

A buddy of mine “discovered” vinyl and now is autistically obsessed with it. He bought over 700 albums in one month

I only get records when the digital versions suck or if something's only on wax

Almost everyone who would care about sound quality already knows these things, they just like the way vinyl sounds.
Digital gives you a lot of freedom in how you can mix and master something but in the past 25+ years it’s mostly been used for evil

who is "we", they sound autistic and ignorant as fuck
vinyl will never be better than digital in terms of technical freedom or fidelity. everyone knows this.

I do prefer buying lps because I grew up in the 2000s so a CD is worthless to me, cassettes are garbage, and it turns out there are plenty of neat quirks about vinyl, like better masters on some music, only on wax releases, being able to buy singles, and more importantly the experience of looking for new music on a physical format that attracts you (not the ritual bullshit that's overrated crap)

I love going to different stores with different curation and catalogues and finding music I had forgotten about, things I never checked out, or new music that just looks interesting.
you can get this with CDs too, but like I said, I don't like that format because it was seen as such disposable garbage when I was a kid, it sort of stuck with me. vinyl was some magical shit that I couldn't even understand so yeah it appealed more to me

calling yourself a "Collector" and being a consumer fag is very cringe though

I like the limitations of vinyl though. That warped sound that comes from worn vinyls is awesome

sounds like you need a better needle

How do you fix silibance noise on the inside track each side. There is a clear degradation as you get closer to the middle of the record. Is a linear tracking TT the only way?

>have a you problem
>make a shitpost thread instead of just asking for help
sorry pal, you brought this upon yourself

Why do you think I’m OP?

why am I so paranoid about the sound of my keyboard and mouse somehow finding their way through the needle and the USB interface and into Audacity when it's a grungy Casablanca record that I found in the dumpster outside an old baseball field?

every1 knows analog low end muddier, digital high end too sharp. Why did u poast this in a ridiculously bloated form?

as for the lamentable "digital CAN sound better"...technologists are religious. I simply operate on present reality. Present reality is that digital highs are far worse than analog. Such is life!
Meanwhile, clean lows is really only useful for EDM style music, which is not my preference.
Now, carry on vagrants and fools!

Your friend must be RICH.

Microline stylii do a really good job of reducing IGD.

that or a retard with a decent job, loneliness, and a lot of disposable income; even if they were used records

doesn't matter if the mastering sucks which is the case for most of digital media

will also add, if digital people were truly trying 2 break-thru, innovate. They would work in surround sound from the start. But what is the truth? Even the hi-fi digital releases are...created so they are easy to make "hi-fi" (ie. Burial with tremendous space reserved for low end.)
And most of what actually plays thru surround sound is...classical, pink floyd, and some unknown third.
One could feasibly put a voice of a synth thru each channel and create a "perfection of 1 synth" via surround sound but even this I have not heard, what is this...

also the terrible practice of listening on studio monitors...[not their purpose]...Thus reducing sonic quality at all times of casual listening, or worse, focused listening for enjoyment.
Ah but what can I say? There is so much myopia in utopians.