When did post-punk become a rich kid club?

When did post-punk become a rich kid club?

Attached: Lead-shot-2020-Maxwell-Grainger.jpg (1600x1066, 929.41K)

Don't care. 99% of post-punk bands are boring shit. That's what really matters.

I'm not sure. Maybe it's more expensive to start a band now, or it's a cultural thing. Probably more rich kids listen to punk and other forms of rock than poor kids.

Another thing I just thought of is I'm reading this book pic related, and it's about a fictionalized version of the post punk scene in 1980s Airdrie in Scotland. It's a very small city/town, but in the book it's got this thriving scene, and from what Keenan says in interviews it sounds like it'the music scene there was very energetic. It made me think, with fewer people listening to rock music, there are fewer rock shows, so fewer bands form and the ones that do don't have the opportunities to play that they might have in the 80s and 90s. So the only bands that can get really good are the ones in big cities like London, and probably even more localized to the more expensive parts of London. Plus, BCNR and Black Midi at least are very talented and well-educated musicians. It's not punk the way the Sex Pistols were. It's not the kind of thing that you hear and think "well we could do that."

That said, I think it's great that there's a scene like the ones these guys come from, and I hope their success will inspire more music like it. But you're right, it does seem to be a very wealthy bunch of people, and it would be cool if there were more working-class groups of their ilk

Attached: 51cOm1jvO+L-378070514.jpg (324x500, 53.98K)

>Maybe it's more expensive to start a band now

it definitely has been since thatcher's austerity and cutting back on dole benefits, or reaganomics/clinton's welfare reform in america. you couldnt just bum around at home practicing music all day and live off government checks, instead you had to work some crap job. lots of uk 70s-80s greats took advantage of that before it ended. its how morrissey was able to never work an actual job before he became a famous singer at a young age

Starting a band is a lot cheaper than it used to be.

punk has always been for the rich. richard hell and tom verlaine met at boarding school.

It’s cheaper but working class people don’t want to be in bands now and there’s no real gigging circuit anymore for bands to own there craft on. There’s never gonna be another joy division or smiths because there really just isn’t a way for acts like that to grow anymore very sad

That's a great point. Speaking of David Keenan, I heard about him through Stewart Lee, and he often talks about that. Maybe it's cheaper to get a guitar, but if you have to work two jobs to pay for your studio apartment, what's the use?

Post-Punk is one of my favorite genres but it has always been pretentious art school stuff.

this. it's always been for art school kids with wealthy parents who can survive off of trust funds

since the days of "proto punk". pretty much every rock band in history thats canonized was rich kids. including all the early punks and post punkers

they rap now, because it's basically free.

Hm. Is this true? I get that most aren't from truly poor families, but "rich" seems like probably an overstatement? From what I understand BCNR and their pals seem to be from wealthier backgrounds than a lot of bands. The only story I know in depth is the Beatles and they were solidly middle class. I would imagine that's most common.

>calling music released after 1984 "post-punk"
The genre is so fucking all over the place. The Pop Group and Echo and the Bunnymen have very little in common musically, the only way it makes sense is if you accept that "post-punk" doesn't refer to the consistent characteristics of the music itself but to a brief moment in music history where people had a "anything goes" attitude after the first wave of punk

okay, sorry
it's post-post-punk

Post punk means you liked Joy Division and try to sing like Ian Curtis

Punk never existed, it was just pop music played on a budget. they figured out how to make boybands cool again

#FEEL THE BERN

This but with the deepest sincerity

>they rap now, because it's basically free.

who's "they"?

It wasn't back in the 80s?

The US never really had government subsidized art programs like Britain did and the occasional times it's been tried it just resulted in a plastic crucifix in a jar of urine and feminists smearing period blood on a canvas.