Is pop music getting more childish?

Is pop music getting more childish?
Is it just because I'm getting older? Or have I just not listened to the radio in a while?
I'm not an elitist, I really like plenty of pop music; Rihanna is still making music that is way too inventive than she gets credit for.

I mean like if I turn on any clear channel station I feel like I'm watching commercials for kids toys on TV, or some fake band in a Disney channel movie. It feels like it's made for kids. There's not even innuendo anymore, I feel like I haven't heard a pop song that is clearly (to any adult) about sex in years. And it's so. Fucking. Optimistic. Like that "Happy" song. I am ALSO not a cynic, and I acknowledge that "I feel good", a great song, basically covers the same theme, but "Happy" literally feels like it would be on a radio station in Brazil, or a Philip K. Dick book. I can't tell you how many times I've heard that song driving through rural America, just blasting "happy.... Happy.... Happy .... Happy..." As I drive past foreclosed homes, abandoned cars, litter covering the ground, people in their 50s working at gas stations, it's so on the nose I can't even chuckle at it. It's just fucking eerie.

Like I don't mind being sold sex, or the allure of celebrity, or gossip rags or any of that stuff, I know it's bad but at least I know it. What REALLY freaks me out about this stuff is that I can hear "them" saying "things are tough right now, turn up the happy, turn up the fun."
That stuff chills me.

Attached: images.duckduckgo.com_.jpg (1080x608, 77.66K)

Other urls found in this thread:

yewtu.be/watch?v=BddgVkX_e70
yewtu.be/watch?v=vHLPT-T_Rpc
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

That Pharrell Williams song is the ultimate dystopian normie schlock for complete retards. I still can't believe it was everywhere a few years ago and there was no backlash to it. Honestly any NPC that willingly listens to it should be culled.
>Is pop music getting more childish? Is it just because I'm getting older? Or have I just not listened to the radio in a while?
True. I find older pop less sterile and not as much an insult to one's intelligence

old pop be like radio gugu radio gaga sooooooooo deep

Yeah, I've thought this for awhile too. There are songs with lyrics like "I wanna eat yummy yummy". It's like pop music is turning into the Wiggles, but being aimed at adults. It's really bizarre.

>Is pop music getting more childish?
No, if anything it's getting much more explicit and vulgar. I tuned into a local station a few weeks ago and the first song I heard was called Big Dick Energy, and then a song by Doja Cat rapping about her ass. Not to mention that WAP was a massive hit

>old pop
That's not what people mean when they say old pop you fucking retard. They're talking about 80/90s pop

radio gaga is from '84 you idiot

it isn't so much getting childish, just less and less mature. like says, modern radioshit isn't lacking in explicit content, it's just using that content more often and in ways that make radio pop feel stupid or childish, at least to me

Attached: 90f310dcd23347148b948a4ba65d2f55_301638688_1065506447417419_4841958372116215674_n.jpg (1440x1342, 81.2K)

>Rihanna is still making music that is way too inventive than she gets credit for
What instruments does she play?

The song Happy should have caused a huge cultural revolution of normies waking up and saying fuck pop music and canceling their Netflix subscriptions and refusing to watch Disney or MCU movies. It should have been the straw that broke the camel's back. The moment they realized the pot is boiling. Pharrell Williams should have been ostracized from society in the wake of creating a huge paradigm shift.

>radio gaga
Never heard of it. I thought you were a zoomer implying that Lady Gaga is old pop

Happy was a song of the surburbs released on 2011. Of course it sounds dystopian now
I always though that was an actually pretty good song.

Literally what lady gaga took her name from

nicki minaj cardi b ariana grande is the shit that creeps me out man it's all sex sex consooom sex consooom sex CONSUME like some horrible elaborate advertising targeting young people. I'd prefer some more casual light hearted pop music that's just for fun yk?

>So good so good so good
>Do a little dance 'cause I feel so good

Attached: The Winter of Our Discontent cover (paperback).jpg (262x376, 23.71K)

>Rihanna is still making music

I don't know. I think it's a slippery slope. When I'm in a store where the radio is on, it sounds kinda dull. Compare it to this little song, Toy-Box's "Best Friend", which is like candy for the ears.
yewtu.be/watch?v=BddgVkX_e70
It doesn't make sense to me. Generation Alpha is being raised on mom's ipad, watching non-stop bright primary color candy/unboxing videos with exaggerated expressions. You'd think a generation of kids raised on such stimulus overload would be fed nonstop musical candy but not really.

Meant to say I don't think it's a slippery slope, because pop music seems to go through cycles or waves.
Also reminds me of the scene from Zoolander where he's being brainwashed to assassinate the Prime Minister of Malaysia.
Relax... happy... relax...
yewtu.be/watch?v=vHLPT-T_Rpc

It was literally the equivalent of IF YOURE HAPPY AND YA KNOW IT CLAP YOUR HANDS and made me want to gag

Damn, you've cracked the code. We need to get this out there.

You're just getting older. It was always mostly meant for Teens.

No one I went to high school with would listen to most of the shit that gets released now. There's a huge difference between pop music today and a song like Bad Romance. I honestly don't think teenagers listen to the kind of music that OP is talking about. It's a weird subgenre of pop music that is basically kids music but for adults. The type of people I imagine listening to it, if anyone, is white women in their thirties.