Is modest mouse the best rock band of this era...

Is modest mouse the best rock band of this era. I think they are extremely underrated because they never truly sold out and got huge. Their old stuff is the best of course some of my favorite music of all time

m.youtube.com/watch?v=E5pojx6kflw

m.youtube.com/watch?v=OjecIllOEio

His voice and his lyrics are so good the instrumentals. It’s just has so much sovl

Attached: 9ED4DEBF-BD7D-4F92-B085-13EF8D6DDFBD.jpg (1920x1080, 138.19K)

Other urls found in this thread:

youtu.be/CTAud5O7Qqk
m.youtube.com/watch?v=a-3QpNWCLKw
m.youtube.com/watch?v=QgU0lKRSKNQ
m.youtube.com/watch?v=knhUoLzNcIs
m.bilibili.com/video/BV1SW411L7bA?uid=42563153573431314C376241
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

Brand new is better

>they never truly sold out and got huge
What? Good News to No One's First EP period they were like one of the biggest indie pop bands. Mind it, I think they were also not nearly as bad in that period as some people think they were. It's just that after the EP there was a long hitaus during which Isaac had a drug and alcohol relapse and basically fired his brain. StO was very bad and combining a dissapointing release with it also being put out after a hitaus basically wiped them off the map.

>I think they are extremely underrated because they never truly sold out and got huge.
I hate this fucking song
youtu.be/CTAud5O7Qqk

kek that's the first song I ever heard by them playing rock band 2 when I was like 14

desu I kinda liked it

I saw them tour together in 2016 and MM played maybe 2 new songs. It was pretty tight. They’re both two of the best bands of their era.

It's overplayed but it's a good song. Early 7 minute version is better tho.
The best songs on Good News are The World At Large, Bukowski, Blame it on the Tetons (i know it's a kind off a rip-off of a Sonic Youth song) and The Good Times Are Killing Me.

I don't care about pop rock, maybe radiohead, but I still don't care

>Ice age heat wave can’t complain
Take me back

m.youtube.com/watch?v=a-3QpNWCLKw

Night on the sun is great

the 9 minute version from the japanese Night on the Sun EP is better

I love some of brand news songs some of my favorites but I love some of modest mouses albums. Long drive, lonesome crowded west, moon and Antarctica, even good news and we were dead before the ship even sank has some good songs. I haven’t really listened to there last 2 albums heard the singles didn’t like them to much and didn’t look the other news songs.

m.youtube.com/watch?v=QgU0lKRSKNQ

I miss the fan made black and white music video of dukes up where the 2 girls are hitch hiking and showing some leg, it got taken down recently. Does anything have it somewhere

The band that actually fits that description is Built to Spill

m.youtube.com/watch?v=knhUoLzNcIs

They are great user here is a short song

They didn't sell out it's true.
But I don't understand why people prefer the early Built to Spill to early Modest Mouse at all. I liked the debut, Perfect From Now On and Keep It Like A Secret but I don't think any of these albums is even close to first two MM albums. The Lonesome Crowded West might be my favourite album period. There's sadness in Isaac's writing that's not present in Built to Spill. They're honestly kinda nerdy. And Isaac is a far better lyricist.
I never get the jerk off around Perfect From Now On. Like yes, combining the indie rock sound with the suite structure usually used in prog is kinda cool but I find like half of the tracklist to be just okay. Randy Described Eternity is excellent tho so is Velvet Waltz and the closer. I don't think any song except for maybe Randy Described Eternity hit me emotionally as much as Cowboy Dan or Trucker's Atlas or Bankrupt on Selling.

I found the edit the sad parts video with the footage from the bridge. Anyone who has seen it knows what I’m talking about. I think it’s pure kino but it got banned from YouTube and other websites, however this one still has it
Disclaimer video is beautiful and sad there are some people jumping off the Golden Gate Bridge to commit suicide. The video a mix of life and death it’s dark yet beautiful
m.bilibili.com/video/BV1SW411L7bA?uid=42563153573431314C376241

Gif of kitties mostly unrelated

Attached: 46B1A3F4-314C-400A-B32E-1D9D5D7B0D13.gif (484x256, 1.99M)

I deeply enjoy both bands to the point of digging through EPs and live stuff and side projects but I think Built to Spill fits the description better. Nothing Wrong With Love, Perfect From Now On and Keep it Like a Secret are roughly parallel with Long Drive, LCW and Moon in terms of quality, you could probably make a case for You in Reverse vs Good News as well, but Built to Spill never had their big Float On moment and kept putting out good stuff after the early 00's.

I'm old enough to remember MM was literally the biggest american indie rock band around. I'd say Arcade Fire were the only band able to surpass them in terms of popularity while (somewhat) mantaining their status as critical darlings. they might be underrated now though (but they absolutely weren't at the time).

Not a big fan of Nothing Wrong With Love. Their debut album tho is super underrated and is on par with Perfect from Now On to me even if it's not as intereseting conceptually.

Modest Mouse was pretty big. Arcade Fire were on the same level of popularity, maybe a little bigger but they were much more influential in terms of indie pop sound. Basically invented "stomp clap hey".

Yeah agreed on Wavers being excellent Get a Life is a top 5 BTS song for me. Nothing Wrong with Love is great though give Israel's Song a relisten maybe