Muh straight edge the album

Muh straight edge the album

Attached: 006e5fb1002e4dd5abd1d4da9fae6a15.jpg (1440x1440, 258.23K)

Their worst album until the last two. They were literally still in ep mode and it shows.

Is it true that back in the 90s straight edge people used to beat people up for drinking at punk shows?

yes especially Utah had infamous stories as I recall

It's good but The Argument is their masterpiece. 11/10 album.

>Scanners.gif

>They were literally still in ep mode
What? The lenght is ok, all the songs work together perfectly. The transition from Repeater to Brendon #1 is fucking seamless, not to mention the whole album has this theme of consumism, drug violence and the apathy agaisnt these things.

>Repeater to Brendon #1
I think both of these songs are horrible. The only even slightly redeemable thing about this instrumental song from a non-instrumental band, which indicates they couldn't make it work, is just basically ripping off an actual instrumental band Pell Mell. Which may not be fair but Brenden #1 has literally zero inherent value and Repeater is overtly horrible. Probably the worst chorus of their entire career in addition to other problems with the song. Half of this album should've been left on the floor.

>They were literally still in ep mode
>What?
Meaning they should've just made another ep and I insist that they knew it. But they'd already done two and that's all they'd done so they felt obligated to force out this bloated turd.

"But the title is also a rather obscure nod to The Beatles' Revolver. A record revolves and it also repeats. A revolver is also a gun, and so is a repeater."

Attached: istockphoto-536664974-612x612.jpg (612x408, 36.04K)

>just basically ripping off an actual instrumental band Pell Mell
That's stretching it. I can see the comparison because of the guitar harmonics and heavy drums but sincerely that's a common thing in Post-Hardcore, also.
>Brenden #1 has literally zero inherent value
It's a bridge song before Merchandise, a good song with cool drumming, basslines and guitar melodies. That you don't like it personally that's other thing.
>Repeater is overtly horrible. Probably the worst chorus of their entire career
Now that's just exaggerating, i know that the general song is very uncommon to see in Post-Hardcore with the latin rhythms, distorted voice and the noisy guitars, but the way that the song goes back and forth between the chorus is beyond cool.
There's a version with the 3 Songs in it. Repeater works as an album just fine, i don't think making it even shorter would benefit it.

>There's a version with the 3 Songs in it.
I'm not following your correlation.

There was a version with another EP in it. I don't think the band felt obligated to release an album because they had "too many EPs". We're talking about Hardcore, 12" had at least 6 songs in it and lasted less than 30 minutes, and those used to be like the only thing some bands released.

>le mature critical darling

I'll take STEADY DIET OF NOTHING over that adult contemporary post-hardcore audio ambien every time.

SHE'S NOT MOVING

Right but this of course wasn't just any band. This was a literal supergroup with their own label etc. All eyes were on them and they felt the pressure to produce results. Even if that meant including their very first instrumental song on a wide release. 3 Songs predates it by a few months but was just some limited collectors edition. This isn't Call of Kthulu here. Brenden #1 is something they literally scraped off the floor.

>they felt the pressure to produce results
I don't negate this, but the nature of the music created by Ian and Guy doesn't make me think this. They're devoted to the Hardcore scene and their ethics, but Fugazi and their music in general is uncompromised, they used to charge 5 dollar for a show in small venues and pretty much did what they wanted to do in every album. Brendan #1 still holds up and fits with the aesthetic of the album, scraped from somewhere else or not.

Also they never made a 12" ep ever again. They were a 12" lp band and thats what they wanted to do but rightfully started out slow and steady but then got ahead of themselves. Their discography shows they had two modes so the only question is did they get out of ep mode seamlessly. Ep meaning 12" ep. 7"s are just simply that, 7"s. I've never agreed with calling 7"s eps and I dont think its accurate.

You noob.

Fugazi wasn't a straight edge band. That was Minor Threat. Fugazi was an exponentially better band and there was some overlap of straight edge and even moral righteousness but there was members that smoked and drank. Never was a straight edge band.

>they used to charge 5 dollar for a show in small venues
Yeah so Ian could literally wave it around in the air like he's daddy fucking warbucks telling someone to get the fuck out whenever he even thought someone was being rowdy.

Ian wasn't like that I been to dozens of Fugazi shows and never seen that. Moshing wasn't cool in that period because there was pushback from both venues and bands thinking it just bad form to have drunk meatheads being drunk meatheads at non meathead shows.

There was an overlap between skinhead and straight edge.

I saw him do it at Bomb Factory in Dallas for either In On the Kill Taker or Red Medicine. As I recall I saw them play that same place for both albums. And as I recall not only is his behavior at that show documented but his pattern of behavior in general. Which yeah apparently he stopped because he finally woke up and realized he was fucking wrong.

The hell it wasn't. Ian was just some pc nazi.

>I been to dozens of Fugazi shows
Yeah right! You've been to over 25 Fugazi shows? And yet you think moshing wasn't cool in that period? It was literally the pogo of its day.