Why are British always acting so insecure about their music scene

Teaboos on this forum are always posting utterly inane, ahistorical shit, fueled by their anti-American butthurt, about the British music scene vs the American one.

A common theme:

>"Why didn't the US produce any rock music in the 60s and 70s"

the US had 10x the rock bands Britain did during that time period, and dominated the Billboard charts in both decades

This is in any genre. Wikipedia has categories for every possible genre of music, with bands and musicians sorted by nationality. The US has the vast majority.

British people and Anglophiles seem to internalize the overwhelming cultural influence America has had on rock music, and always set their sights on boosting any British band or musician post-1970 while pretending that the largest music market in the world, and the country that was still innovating the vast majority of genres and subgenres, had no popular bands.

Come on. It takes a Google search. If you need to ignore any American musical output, or arbitrarily pretend like Led Zeppelin and Pink Floyd are miles above the likes of The Doors, Alice Cooper, Funkadelic, The Velvet Underground, Jefferson Airplane, Lynyrd Skynyrd, etc, then obviously the British music scene is not as strong as you make it out to be.

Just because Britain has produced a handful of very famous bands and musicians does not mean it dominated rock music, not in the 70s, and certainly not today. Rock music is still American culture, and that's something Teaboos and Brits should probably come to terms with accepting. It's basic history. Try to re-write it all you wan't.

You should be able to enjoy some British bands and musicians and still be able to acknowledge 1) The US invented the genres they play and 2) The US is a much larger music market and has always produced more bands and musicians, in any given genre and in general.

Pretending otherwise is culturally insecure cope.

Attached: flagss.jpg (540x360, 51.84K)

>The UK has 3 bands that see significant, mainstream success in America in the 1970s

>Everyone proceeds to shit and piss themselves over them and claim they invented rock music

>Two decades later, Brits cope even harder about the US altsplosion and third wave rock scene, which produces desperate as fuck, cringey nonsense like Oasis, which Teaboos now delusionally pretend was a good or significant band.

The British bands who got really huge were mostly blues shitters that appealed strongly to American sensibilities.

In all seriousness, it's a recurring theme in music discourse in general, and especially rock music discourse, that significant American bands and even entire American musical movements will be memory-holed and taken for granted out of some kind of cultural inferiority complex certain people have vis a vis the US. Meanwhile, every single embarrassing band and artist with a British accent gets the every loving fuck boosted out of it for no other reason than "they're not American, and that's easier for people to accept".

I’m a red blooded American and I admit the British had an edge around 1965-1973.

dont care about shitty aor blues rock, uk was better at alternative music

No, they did not. Producing some good bands doesn't give them the edge.

They simple look better than they did in periods prior, because they were legitimately producing no music that was popular in America before the mid-60s.

All it took is Beatlemania and a derivative as hell, boring sounding band like The Rolling Stones for y'all to pretend that "the British had the edge". American bands and musicians were dominating the Billboard charts throughout your highlighted stretch of time, and from the underground to the main stream, America was (obviously) out producing Britain 10 to 1 in any given genre, including the ones British people like to pretend the themselves invented (Punk, Hard rock, Heavy metal, anything Psychedelic or Progressive)

Their music scene is dependent on the US music scene, it is not the other way around. The US has the edge. The Brits are always seizing on American trends months and years after the fact, and never end up adding anything truly original, so the Brits need to sit here and pretend like Shoegazing is this seminal genre of music, or else try to claim the Brits deserve sole credit for every musical innovation post 1960 "because The Beatles". It's the most cringey case of misguided, delusional cultural chauvinism I've seen.

Lmao, it is objectively the other way around.

AOR was largely a product of the over-commercialization of subpar British acts like the Stones, The Who, and Queen.

Whereas Alternative rock is a largely American phenomenon from the late 80s and 90s, when American bands were ubiquitous and British acts were not even remotely competitive with them, hence the cringey attempts to compete with Grunge, Rap rock, the New Wave of American Heavy Metal, Riot Grrrl, Third Wave Ska and Punk, etc, by branding every single mediocre pop rock band from the UK "Britpop".

That I know is not debatable, everyone who knows 90s music will tell you that American alt rock absolutely dominated then.

Im not reading your long post, and i dont really care about this debate it doesnt matter to me if a band comes from the USA or britain, but most of the really innovative artists and bands that i find myself drawn to are british

>Teaboos on this forum are always posting utterly inane, ahistorical shit, fueled by their anti-American butthurt, about the British music scene vs the American one.
can't say i've noticed that, however i have noticed you spamming the board repeatedly with this thread

Because you only listen to the named famous British bands from the 70s, who weren't innovative? lmao

I guarantee you most of the bands you listen to are American. Not British.

There are 3 threads talking about the 70s American rock scene as if there was nothing coming out of it. Come on. You have noticed it.

Kind of stupid when people claim that 3-5 British bands cause people to pretend that America didn't have popular bands too, or that the music styles being played at the time didn't come from America. They did

Our music scene has been dead since 2007. Please give us a break.

link?

You're smoking crack. Bob Dylan? Frank Zappa? Velvet Underground? The Doors? It's not even close.

beach boys >>> beatles
fr fr

We outnumber the Brits 4-to-1 or more. We do have an advantage overall, but I have to admit they have a proportional advantage to us as far as output-to-population goes. The Brits also made 90% of prog worth listening to, and that counts for a lot in my book.
Anyone who says that the Brits outnumber us in sheer number of releases, however, is an utter fool.

Before someone comes at me saying that I'm a seething europoor, The Doors is my favorite Rock band of all time.

Globally speaking, The British may have invented less but influenced more. To give you a point in favor of the US it is similar to how Americans didn't invent shit in cinema (Mostly copying French, Russians and Italians) but still left a bigger mark on global cinema thanks to commercialization of cinema via Hollywood.

If you look at bands from around the world, you will see names like The Beatles, Black Sabbath, The Cure, Led Zeppelin get brought up much more often when someone asks a young artist who their early inspirations were.

The British made Rock music European, they stripped it away of the Negro influence and morphed it into what is now considered "white music". To put in American lingo, The Bongs BLEACHED American Rock and as a result created a much hotter, attractive version of Rock, a mulatto Rock rather than the Sheboon barbaric American Rock.

American Rock is more about the raw feeling and energy, British Rock is more about melody, atmosphere and lyricism. Americans like to bully and attack European Rock music for being too safe sounding and lacking in the "balls" department but what they don't understand is that the lack of N_ggerish behavior and "balls is what makes us European and you American.

I don't understand how you can state that British rock didn't take heavy inspiration from African-Americans after listing Black Sabbath and fucking Led Zeppelin as examples.

Because it peaked in The 1960s and wained in dwindled off completely in The Mid 80s. That's why Eric Clapton did le big racism,Germany emerged as having a big psychedelic scene and progressive Rock etc and people still wanted guitarists like Hendrix and Eddie Hazel much more than they wanted another Beatles. Some British Psych I really like nonetheless,but I digress NWOBHM was basically the last stand of British Rock alongside Crust Punk,Shoegaze is cool but the response was pretty much deadpan to it at the time.

Also Black Guitarists from The States pretty much kept up with what Krautrock the entire time up to the point of large sections of RnB that went completely digital after the 70s (Synth Funk etc) whereas British Mod Rock and Punk etc really really couldn't,which is probably how you end up with Death in June etc being so racist,they were assmad that they were struggling to keep up with other bands in Western Europe when Funk/Soul Guitarists pretty much Matched Krautrock to the bitter end hence shit like Sly and The Family Stone being included in German Language Definitions for Kosmiche Musik but not David Bowie or really most of British Prog. To the point where RnB is entirely synthetic and British Rock Bands are still using Blues Form on a level that most American Guitarists of pretty much any background culturally are barely if at all tied to,completely digressing from Prog if anything although I do admittedly listen to a lot of certain types of punk bands.