3rd in country size

>3rd in country size
>4th in population

and yet france produces zero notable music acts. could say the same for russia and ukraine. what gives? why do these countries have such shitty genres (chanson, hardstyle, nothing)

Attached: frnc.png (250x167, 283)

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=JqYhuwu614Y
open.spotify.com/playlist/3I0E7HAAoAq81pYZFEJ7wW?si=t73Y0PR0Ta-k6ELQwY40fw
youtube.com/watch?v=lPVBrRd9wCo
youtube.com/watch?v=g3y6MEcOX7o
youtube.com/watch?v=JAIwX6ki4Rk
twitter.com/AnonBabble

>nothing
Kek

stromae is the only french musivian who comes to mind and its the faggiest milennial shit possible

And he's Belgian

he's belgian

since you aren't francophone or live in a francophone country you're not exposed to it because non english language music simply doesn't get amplified as much as something from US>>>UK>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>Everyone else with a few exceptions

>western music finds tour dates in france all the time
>french musicians dont consistently tour outside of western europe

Some notable French acts (mostly older):
Jean Michel Jarre
Daft Punk
AIR
Vitalic
Miss Kittin
Mylene Farmer
Alizee
France Gall
Francoise Hardy
M83
Justice
Phoenix
Serge Gainsbourg
Charlotte Gainsbourg
Claude Debussy
Soko
Sebastian Tellier
Kavinsky
MC Solaar
The Dø
David Guetta
Superbus
Gotan Project

Magma

youtube.com/watch?v=JqYhuwu614Y

I'm thinking kino

bordelent

Attached: risihonte.png (136x102, 19.8K)

>>>/jvc/

>East Europe and Russia have nothing
Wrong
open.spotify.com/playlist/3I0E7HAAoAq81pYZFEJ7wW?si=t73Y0PR0Ta-k6ELQwY40fw

The idea that the most talented and creative of people or scenes make a splash on worldwide culture is beyond naïve. Let's get the obvious out of the way, this is an anglo world. We use English to communicate here right now. This obviously gives a huge advantage to American, UK, Irish, Canadian, Aussie artists and the only way to really make it big in the pop sense of the world is to sell off our culture for a chance to seem anglo (perfect example is Sweden and their Pop building machine of a music industry).

But what about the weird, the avant-garde, the "underground"? Well, it is the same thing here. Why out of all the music that was happening in the 70s, did English speaking underground press pick Krautrock over Psychedelia and Prog that was happening in other nations across the world? Well, it is a clear and easy example of how Western ideals are superior to the East. "look at how based West Germany is, thanks to our freedom, they can make cool and weird music". I am not saying that the Eastern Front was some underground gem, commies did their job to destroy what was of Eastern Germany culturally but why bring all the attention on German underground music to the point you have come up with meme genres like Krautrock?

2)
It is obviously the unstable political climate and history that brought interest first and foremost. Why out of all the Asian countries, Japan and (later) South Korea become the hot news for all "patrician" music lovers? Same thing as always, a clear example of how great it is to be America's dog rather than try and live on your own. Why doesn't anybody talk about The Philippines or Vietnam's music scenes?

When these countries become politically unneeded for the big boy rulers, they get dropped off from the cultural zeitgeist. Did Germans stop making based music? No, its just that the wall had finally been torn down and now they were on there own.

Even better example is the USSR. First completely ignored culturally due to the cold war, after Gorbachev came with its Perestroika, the Westerners were raving all about USSR and its music. Brian Eno and Eurythmics members flying the artists out, Kino and shit like that touring non-stop and Frank Zappa and Lou Reed pulling up to jam out with the Slavs. Had the USSR and Perestroika process been going for longer, hadn't the USSR fallen in such an unpretentious way, the 90s would have been remembered as the decade ruled by the East. But what happened? USSR broke down, Russia got buck broken and therefore unneeded and thrown out from the cultural zeitgeist. Americans have "won" the cold war and hearing Russia's attempt Rock music is laughably unneeded when we can get "our own".

The situation also works the opposite way, nobody in the West wants to talk about how great Serbian New Wave and Art Punk scene was because Yugoslavia didn't fit the traditional narrative of the "oppressive East". After Serbia's actions in the 90s, it is guaranteed that despite all the talents, Serbia along with other Balkan countries will never be given the same retrospective look as Krautrock or Japanese Rock

Goddess aurora did a song with pomme

I think its because French try to be too artsy, whereas the brits had the lower class trash to make edgy sincere music

>The idea that the most talented and creative of people or scenes make a splash on worldwide culture is beyond naïve
I had this epiphany while browsing Any Forums many months ago. Language is by far the biggest divider of music, and the Anglo has a distinct advantage over others in this realm

As a french, I don't like french music except for techno. I think we have the best techno/house artists in the world :
youtube.com/watch?v=lPVBrRd9wCo
youtube.com/watch?v=g3y6MEcOX7o
youtube.com/watch?v=JAIwX6ki4Rk

I think good French music is just above mus pay level desu

French artists are most definitely the most posted euro country on Any Forums by far though, even when mu almost completely ignores some of Frances biggest scenes

Ever since Ive been in France and have had a French partner Ive heard a lot of great french music

Id say a lot of popular French music rivals that of the english speaking world, its just that France is such a linguistically isolated country it makes it hard to know