What happened scratching in music? 20 years ago it was very common. Hip hop, trip hop...

What happened scratching in music? 20 years ago it was very common. Hip hop, trip hop, nu metal and even pop music had a lot of scratching! It's gives the music a "slick" feel, so, what happened to it?

Attached: scratchdjonline01.jpg (864x576, 350.64K)

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=J1KqQYsUYIk
youtube.com/watch?v=nWFKVQlOXE4
youtu.be/F_J2VKumPfw?t=141
youtu.be/Sa-ewdakFRk
youtu.be/UmY9wYenrYY
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

its become a cliche, a novelty sound effect, like a slide whistle or a vibraslap.

It became played out. Once you started hearing it in pop music like Hanson's MmmBop, it was a sign that mainstream people thought it was a fun little novelty. It's why in the 2000s, unless you're listening to chopped n screwed music, 80s throwback electro/funktronica like Chromeo, or you got into what would now be called turntablism music and chillhop/"lo-fi hip hop" (which is basically trip hop and instrumental jazz rap fused together), it all but vanished. Now it's a niche thing that's actually surprising to hear these days.

Attached: 1661543047471301.gif (400x225, 48.03K)

Nu metal killed it.
Since then, it has last been seen done tastefully in the odd trip hop song or two

this lol it sounds dated as fuck
might as well ask what happened to basso continuo OP

The wicky wicky's coming back in the 2030s
it will be glorious

youtube.com/watch?v=J1KqQYsUYIk
still good

Just stick to playing acoustic guitar

Attached: visotsky.jpg (211x238, 8.86K)

I realized how much I missed it when I listened to Gorillaz first album and it was all over Sound Check (Gravity)

It's been banned to protect the records.

/thread

It became as much of a 90s cliche as snapback hats so people stopped doing it.

>What happened washboards in music? 80 years ago it was very common. Blues, country, bluegrass, even folk music had a lot of washboards! It's gives the music a "scratchy" feel, so, what happened to it?

Attached: th-3727038742.jpg (474x632, 57.4K)

You ain't wrong

make the perfect 4-piece, Any Forums
>turntable
>washboard
>tambourine
>cahone

>genre: progressive dreamfunk

jej

Attached: old-african-laughing-picture-id108274027-885803463.jpg (510x338, 87.46K)

i like this song
youtube.com/watch?v=nWFKVQlOXE4

youtu.be/F_J2VKumPfw?t=141
youtu.be/Sa-ewdakFRk
youtu.be/UmY9wYenrYY

See? This would be just a standard indie rock song but with the scratches it becomes something special. Wake up people! Start scratching!

That album is one of the best trip hop albums of all time.