Gary Numan

This guy is so based
>robot
>paranoid
>makes his own electronic music
>makes songs about engineers, being scared of blacks in your car
Is he /ourguy/? I feel like this guy was a Any Forumstant 30 years before that was even a thing.

Attached: ThePleasurePrinciple1.jpg (220x220, 11.26K)

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=ycLiQ8-dZq4
youtube.com/watch?v=Im3JzxlatUs
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

>makes david bowie jealous

thats how you know youre based

On ‘Teenage Wildlife’, taken from the album, he fired shots at one young upstart who had shot to hysterical levels of fame within a very short amount of time — Gary Numan. The electro pioneer had begun even to outsell Bowie.

The track sees a bitter Bowie sing: “A broken-nosed mogul are you, One of the new wave boys, Same old thing in brand new drag, Comes sweeping into view, As ugly as a teenage millionaire, Pretending it’s a whiz-kid world.”

In an interview around the release, Bowie commented on Numan and explained his distaste for the singer. “What Numan did he did excellently but in repetition, in the same information coming over again and again, once you’ve heard one piece,” he harshly noted.

Bowie continued: “It’s that false idea of hi-tech society and all that which is… doesn’t exist. I don’t think we’re anywhere near that sort of society.

It’s an enormous myth that’s been perpetuated unfortunately, I guess, by readings of what I’ve done in that rock area at least, and in the consumer area television has an awful lot to answer for with its fabrication of the computer-world myth.”

However, Bowie didn’t just let his music do the talking when it came to his opinion of Numan, and he even got him removed from a TV show. Speaking to Uncut, Numan later remembered: “In the ’80s, I did the Kenny Everett show and Bowie was on, too. I was a massive fan, I had seen him countless times; I had an embarrassing array of bootlegs. The chance to even be remotely near him was an honour. But he asked for me to be thrown out of the studio and then taken off the programme, which was very disappointing.

Poor Gary, he never got any respect from fellow musicians. I consider him an underdog despite the fact that Cars and Are Friends Electric? are major hits, he's rarely mentioned as an influence even though he influenced great acts like Tricky or NIN.

prince said he was a genius

we need to codify OHW (one hit wonder) as a response to a thread

Calling Numan a one hit wonder is kind of stretching the term, he had few hits for sure but definitely more than just one.

Yeah Gary Numan is uber based Cars and Metal are super bangers, except that little Any Forumsack remark about being scared of blacks i agree with you totally.

i didn't knew that, so awesome!
a genius really can recognize another genius.

every one hit wonder ever had a big hit first and then a string of progressively less popular minor ones tbth, I could name names

please take your racism elsewhere thank you

>a string of progressively less popular minor ones
Numan kind of escapes that if i'm honest, Are Friends Electric? and Cars are anthems of 80's New Wave, two big hits in itself, the minor hits of Numan would be Metal, Complex or even Me, I Disconnect From You.

Who'd have thought Bowie would be so short-sighted.

How is it Any Forumslack to mention that people on Any Forums seethe about blacks? That's not me saying I personally feel that way.

He's fucking boring and talentless.

oh okay them, now i get what you are doing.

a bitch move.

Gary Numan G-Air-y New Man The Pleasure Principle was a chess move into that area of synth pop replacing guitars. Repetition was the whole idea. Bowie, and I love Scary Monsters, but he outed his diva persona. But this is a trad when it comes to entertainers. For every Lil Wayne there's a Young Thug.

He was also blackballed by the British Musicians Union, they wouldn't issue him a union card:
youtube.com/watch?v=ycLiQ8-dZq4
timestamp 5:10

Best I can figure is that Bowie was pissed that Numan stole all of his moves. Numan's music doesn't really sound like Bowie at all, but Numan admits copying Bowie's mannerisms quite a bit. This is because he is an autist and doesn't know how to act human and not, as Bowie thought, a plagiarist. youtube.com/watch?v=Im3JzxlatUs

Attached: David-Bowie-Isolar-II-tour-Tokyo-1978.jpg (614x409, 45.03K)

Ryuichi Sakamoto talked shit about him too. He had a good sound and mostly good lyrics, but he was a one trick pony that got too much attention, then he got super famous and acted really obnoxious and dumb. It's harder to see it in retrospect, but overall the hate he got was pretty justified.

his whole gimmick started when he was nervous on tv and had a shit ton of makeup applied to cover his acne. but his stage presence sucked anyway; he couldn't maintain the "robot" thing consistently and he kind of undermined his own image by being autistic as hell. There's no way I can find it now, but I saw a live performance video from like 1981 where he's just standing there all casual on stage drinking a can of Pepsi during an instrumental break. like he's not even performing

>Gary Numan G-Air-y New Man The Pleasure Principle was a chess move into that area of synth pop replacing guitars. Repetition was the whole idea.
people were already doing that though. a lot of what Numan did was copied from Ultravox

M.E. was based and aged like wine

Is he the ghostbusters dude?

>where's your head atttt at
Where's your head at
>where's your head at at at at at at at