Why weren't they widely considered the Beatles of the 80s as Oasis was considered the Beatles of the 90s?

Why weren't they widely considered the Beatles of the 80s as Oasis was considered the Beatles of the 90s?

Attached: 61mfBhY69SL._SY355_.jpg (355x355, 10.74K)

Other urls found in this thread:

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/XTC#British_reception
twitter.com/AnonBabble

because ELO existed

Because it's sporkwave pop.
Also this.

Never had a universally recognized international hit
A couple of songs that Britbongs know, a couple that played on VH1/120 Minutes, one known primarily for controversy. But never quite became a wholly mainstream act, always just on the fringes

It’s garbage level joke music for closeted homosexual boomer yuppies

Difford and Tilbrook of Squeeze were compared to Lennon and McCartney in the music press more often than XTC were back then.

ELO are overrated and nowhere near as good as either The Beatles or XTC, but comparing them to The Beatles makes much more sense in the 70s than it does in the 80s.
What's some good music from the 1980s then?
They were great, but certainly more new-wave than Beatles-esque

>some good music from the 1980s then?
Almost everything, but not xtc, prefab sprout, crowded house or whatever else you like

>Almost everything
Then name the 5-10 best, in your estimation

No I don’t like to play this autism xtc game with you, sorry you like trash and are old

I'm not old, but I accept your concession nonetheless.

Oasis are only considered the Beatles of the 90s because they make homages to them in every song and just shoehorn beatles lyrics every now and then. Also they stopped being popular after English Settlement, with the exception of Nonsuch.

They were too good to be compared to the Beatles tbqhf

this is the only correct answer. they had some flirtations with popularity but never became a household name like the beatles or the stones. they're a band more recognized for their influence than their impact

I would lick andy partridge's body all over and I would KICK todd rundgren's face and he would fly out of the trailer

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/XTC#British_reception
I hate the bonglish music scene so much

IT'S GROWING GREEEEEEEEEEEEEEEN
IT'S GROWING GREEEEEEEEEEEEEEEN

Oranges and Lemons has retroactively been pretty big for adult contemporary radio in the US, you hear "King for a Day" and "Mayor of Simpleton" on muzak systems all the time in random places if you pay attention

they were from fucking Swindon and had names like Partridge and Moulding, they were never going to be 'cool'

Pussy

I heard Mayor of Simpleton in Vegas, but have never XTC on the radio in this cunt otherwise.

Normies and critics don't like music they have to spend too much time paying attention to, for completely different reasons.