Is 26 too late to start learning guitar? Is it still possible to get good

Is 26 too late to start learning guitar? Is it still possible to get good

Attached: fender-fender-player-telecaster-pacific-peach-0144581579-28782186233991_grande.jpg (600x600, 41.04K)

Yes, but go the theory route and actually assign practice time. If you wanna get good but you noodle, you'll go nowhere

No but you're going to struggle finding the time to practice enough to be good at it. Unless you abandon your other hobbies and devote all your free time to learning.

Attached: Screenshot_20220825-003510_Samsung Internet.jpg (603x1610, 249.88K)

I'm 21. is that too late? I write lyrics and have ideas but dont know how to play yet.

The thing that most guitarfags won't tell you is that you don't need to be very good to actually write music. Learn fundamentals, maybe take an online course. Don't use apps or rocksmith. Once you're comfortable with the fundamentals, learn songs from artists/bands you're trying to emulate, this will force you out of your comfort zone in most cases and push you to learn more niche techniques. It is a time sink. You're going to need structure or dedicated practice time.

Just find your Johnny Marr

I don't really know much if any music theory and have just been recording Black Metal lol,idrc if it ever goes beyond that I don't think.

Shit that's literally me. Well i just finished grad school and now have a job (although I just work 32 hours a week) but it's my first time in my life I'm completely done with school so I have more free time. I already have been lifting and running for like 7 years now so I have more time for hobbies and always wanted to learn an instrument. I'm not trying to be some rock n roll legend just want to know how to play some of my favorite songs and also create some of my own

I have about 7k in guitar equipment I haven't used in years despite playing in multiple bands before. I'm relearning music because I neglected it so much. It's not too late to learn anything.

Same desu but I know if I had more structure when I started teaching myself guitar at 18 I would be writing cooler black metal riffs. When I learned the harmonic minor scale and phrygian(spelling?) Mode it opened up a whole new world to me. I wish I had learned a little more theory earlier.

Iyou don't need to be that good to write music, you can learn the fundamentals and all the cowboy chords in like a year of decent practice and just watching the right youtube videos
you'll start to understand how frustrating but amazing it is to hear something in your head and turn it into something you can play out loud
I've played for 15 years and that's really what keeps me going

It's never too late to square peg.

No it’s not too late. Just make sure you are having fun and you’ll be motivated, and learn quick enough

Would I be find if I practive 30-45 mins a day? I should of mentions I have an acoustic instead of electric, I thought it would make more sense if I started with that first.
I dont have a Marr yet but I have a vague idea of what I woudl want to soud like. Basically a mix between 60s rock and post-hardcore, think mod era The Who mixed with Unwound.

I played guitar for 10 years and this is true. Most songwriters use a guitar but they’re not even good enough to play it onstage. Like layne from aic, Gerard from my chem. There’s a lot of them

Acoustic is best because it’s harder to play than electric (physically fretting it I mean) so you’ll get the harder one down first and electric will feel like a breeze. Plus for writing it’s easy to just pick up and play. 30 to 45 is more than enough if you do it every single day. After about two months you’ll be able to play all the basic open chords and the three barre shapes somewhat easily. Then you’ll have everything you need to write most pop songs

No, it takes just a couple of months to master all basic chords and strumming, then you can write songs.

depends how much time you spend practicing. i started at 19 and spend the better part of my 20s practicing and at 31 im pretty confident in my abilities

I've written a coue I'm from and can just barely read music if at all,think you'll be fine.

If you practice literally every day for 45 minutes and you do it properly you will be better than me at 30, and I've been playing for 16 years.

Do you want to play music that requires an acoustic? Play whichever you actually want to use. Starting with an acoustic is a boomer meme. It's more important to play the one you actually want to play, it'll help you stay motivated.

For a songwriter an acoustic is the better choice. It’s portable, no tone options to get lost in. No nonsense

I'd say you want at least an hour a day to practice to make solid gains. Especially early on. By that I mean an hour of structured practice. Focus on entry level theory, like knowing the note names of the strings and chords you're playing. Learn proper picking hand technique. It's easier to avoid bad habit by learning the correct way to do things early on than it is to stop bad habits later into progression.

I agree, it really depends on what their goals are. If he just wants a song writing tool, acoustic is great. If he wants to actually play riffs or music that requires an electric, he's better off selling the acoustic and buying an electric.