/prod/ - music production general

"Nothing Lasts Forever" Edition

Our careers are evolving all the time, whether we know it or not. This has become much more true in my lifetime and I've recently had some realizations about how I feel about my life as a producer and how that's led to where I am now...and where I'm going next. Goodbye, all of /prod/.

Post what you're looking for in feedback.
GIVE feedback to GET feedback.

Upload WIPs to Vocaroo (or any other user site). You may NOT link to Soundclouds, Bandcamp - anything resembling self-promotion will be ignored.

Resources:
>Pastebin - Links, books, videos, articles, tutorials
pastebin.com/qtDwktHP

>/prod/ wiki
mu-sic-production.wikia.com

>Mixing Secrets and misc. resources
mediafire.com/folder/64bx81yayqzch/Production

Previous:

Farewell /prod/spiration:
youtube.com/watch?v=4Js-XbNj6Tk

Attached: maxresdefault.jpg (1280x720, 139.91K)

Other urls found in this thread:

vocaroo.com/1nAGlZ7al8e7
soundcloud.com/nergisofficial/take-me-to-the-top-official|
soundcloud.com/nergisofficial/take-me-to-the-top-official
voca.ro/1eY2uupvAKHE
vocaroo.com/13J95ExmDxy7
vocaroo.com/11xepyskGszF
voca.ro/19jOjasDgD3H
youtube.com/watch?v=3Gmex_4hreQ
streamable.com/hrpudo
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

vocaroo.com/1nAGlZ7al8e7

gonna shave my head in a minute

you need to do something with the rhythms. either subtract the drums and bring them back or change the cadence up.
Also, the pad sounding synth needs more effects or bring it forward and back or something

user links only you fucking retard

soundcloud.com/nergisofficial/take-me-to-the-top-official|

most recent shit i did, im new to making music and i've always lurked mu but rarely posted, any advice from the general mutants about this track?
thanks homies

soundcloud.com/nergisofficial/take-me-to-the-top-official
typo xd

Post it as a vocaroo instead so it won't seem like self-promotion. You'll get better feedback that way. Welcome to /prod/ :)

ermmm voca.ro/1eY2uupvAKHE

does it suck? does it fuck? would you buy a 2023 Ram 1500Truck in joe brandon's economy?

Attached: FaDv_duXgAAv4B9.png (437x680, 457.02K)

oh my bad, its uploading rn give me a second

>voca.ro/1eY2uupvAKHE
id fuck you to this song bro

unironically the waveform on sc here helps a lot because you are fucking up your mix and master.
what are you doing to compress the song?
can you run me through your mastering process?

ermmmmmmmmmm
you can't say that

vocaroo.com/13J95ExmDxy7
I figured my mastering sucked ass but i usually started with a mastering template then if it sounds off i keep tweaking it until I'm happy with the sound, I keep some sounds panned a bit to give them their own space and i have a stereo enhancer
I kept tweaking how loud the lows are in the main EQ for my master track, but I can't find a decent balance, on some of the main growl patches i also completely removed the lows and for the sub i remove the highs, im also really really new so any advice is appreciated, i dont care how mean anyone is, I just want unfiltered critique

>what are you doing to compress the song?
i just turn it into a wav file and an ogg but i usually end up using the wav file, ive heard flac is good but ive never gotten a good sound out of flac, i assume im just doing something completely wrong

vocaroo.com/11xepyskGszF
some other shit i made, to get an idea of my mastering ig ill show you guys another one, this one's trashy rap as opposed to the other one being edm though

country rocky track im trying to finalize before mastering, any thoughts?
voca.ro/19jOjasDgD3H

Attached: jonestown-massacre-05-gty-jef-180920_sl_22x15_1600.jpg (1600x1079, 294.38K)

This isn't "right" but you can understand compression better if you watch this and read more (once you read more, you'll get what this video is showing)
youtube.com/watch?v=3Gmex_4hreQ
Are you just using a limiter for the master track?
Panning isn't the issue here. You mix is really muddy and not very clear. Sounds are smooshing into each other and the kick is achieving a sidechain quality because of the amount of compression on the track.
Are you using FL studio by chance?

yeah im using fl, and i think that track doesnt but yeah a limiter would definitely help, you're right that it does sound muddy, let me see if i can fix that
i think my low end being a little high in my EQ also contributes to that

it'd take too long to explain but trying doing what im doing with maximus on the master track and see how it sounds.
you should also mix your individual tracks down so the master track is around -6 db before applying maximus for best results
streamable.com/hrpudo

>master track is around -6 db before applying
This really is arbitrary. You can have a mix that is smashed to death and peaking at anything below full scale.

it just gives the compressor more space, yeah you don't have to

>more space
What do you mean by that?

greater distance between the loudest part of the song and 0 db is the space im referring to but it's not that important just do what i did in maximus that should generally be good enough