What are some "fake" genres of music? I think grunge is easily the top contender. Nirvana, Soundgarden, Alice in Chains...

What are some "fake" genres of music? I think grunge is easily the top contender. Nirvana, Soundgarden, Alice in Chains, The Melvins, etc. These all sound completely different, tonally and their influences. There is no "Seattle Sound," if these bands were from different cities no one would ever classify them as the same subgenre, they would just be Rock. Even more ridiculous is "post-grunge" which just means ripping off Pearl Jam and has little to do with bands influenced by the other big Seattle acts.

Attached: 1005905-popular-nirvana-wallpapers-2560x1440-laptop.jpg (2560x1440, 451.59K)

Hyperpop is clearly not real.

You're fucking retarded if you can't differentiate the tonal shifts from "rock" in the 70s and 80s to grunge in the 90s

That he is.

Attached: D0952F4C-CBE9-412F-BE5E-BCC1403391AE.jpg (3703x2029, 2.13M)

Freakbeat
Avantprog
Britpop

grunge is metal mixed with punk.

Britpop

grunge started in the 80s

New Rave
Electroclash
Synthpop
Indie
Vaporwave

Attached: poggo.png (578x560, 371.04K)

there are many genres that mix metal and punk
also by that logic bands like nirvana and pearl jam are not grunge

how is synth pop not real

It is just simpler version of new wave

"Post-punk revival" might be the fakest non-genre of all. Even with the joke that post-punk (already an inorganic label) is impossible to describe, I would never hear early 2000's indie and think "Yeah, this is totally an obvious continuation in style and tone." Garage rock revival is another tacked on name, but at least more accurate.

Indie Rock
Alternative Rock
Trip Hop
Progressive Rock
the more i think about it all genres are shit

I guess synths weren't used in pop so much back when the name was coined, but now it's sort of ironic given that most pop music uses synths these days

If your definition of a fake genre is that the bands all sound nothing like each other, then the answer is post-rock. Yes, there are crescendo core clones, but aside from that there is such a diversity that the term means almost nothing.

I always thought that grunge was a sort of evolution of hardcore sound and attitudes, what with the emergence of sludge, but they took that sludge stuff and tried to make it more... rock-ish instead of metal and weird. Accessible sludge is generally the idea that comes to mind. But with depression and opioids

"comedy music". Any song of any genre can include comedic elements, it's not ONE genre. I guess the "comedy music" title comes from the fact that for some musicians it is a selling point and they are completely novel, but sadly a lot of comedic music gets ignored because of association with the genre attached to it and most people just taking shit too seriously.

yea but so is grindcore and god knows what else lol

what is hyperpop? i tried looking into it awhile ago and i could only find type beat songs

Triphop and prog rock are 100% real

Krautrock