Why are their lyrics so soulless? You could count the number of Beatles songs with soulful lyrics on your hands

Why are their lyrics so soulless? You could count the number of Beatles songs with soulful lyrics on your hands.
>She’s Leaving Home
>Penny Lane
>Blackbird
>In My Life
>Hey Jude
>Yesterday
That’s pretty much it as far as Beatles lyrics soul goes, and I’m probably being generous with at least some of those.

Attached: C42B5C21-0BB0-4597-B6A5-7B8774AA34CF.jpg (1600x1571, 337.27K)

>For No One
>She Said She Said
>Girl
>SFF
>Nowhere Man
>Im Only Sleeping
>Happiness is a Warm Gun

Ermmm, yeah, I think you're retarded

>Run For Your Life

Paul does some gay scat over the melody and writes lyrics backwards from that

>soulless
>soulful
Why would I base my assessment of artistic quality on meaningless buzzwords that mean different things to different people?

>Caring about lyrics
Read poetry then, faggot.

None of those have soulful lyrics but I'll call out one particularly egregious claim.
>Lennon derived "Happiness Is a Warm Gun" from that of an article in the May 1968 issue of American Rifleman, the magazine of the National Rifle Association (NRA). Lennon recalled his reaction to the phrase: "I just thought it was a fantastic, insane thing to say. A warm gun means you just shot something."
Lennon had a habit of making words out of phrases he saw in ads and media because he didn't actually have anything to express. The literal opposite of soul. Being For the Benefit of Mr. Kite, Good Morning Good Morning, Happiness Is a Warm Gun, etc.

Because the Beatles weren't particularly good lyricists*. If you want "soulful" British invasion lyrics go for the Kinks.

*actually John was very talented at writing nonsense lyrics but that's probably not what you mean by "soulful"

>She’s Leaving Home
>Blackbird
>Hey Jude
>Soulful lyrics
Ok retard

you forgot the most soulful

Attached: 1659635495213.jpg (750x563, 68.99K)

John's books are so good, too. Very funny. I know it's not Carroll or Joyce but I wish he was able to take that approach a little more into his lyrics. When someone pointed that out to him he wrote In My Life, which makes no sense. He got closer with the nonsense songs and clearly had an ear for language but the great thing about the books is that the nonsense coheres.

The Beatles were anything but soulless, kill yourself

Exactly what I think. In His Own Write is probably my favorite thing John produced. Lucy in the Sky is probably the closest he got to "coherent nonsense" in his music but that's still missing the humor of his stories/poems.

Attached: Screenshot_20220804-141133_ReadEra.jpg (1080x1516, 568.62K)

How does In My Life make no sense? It's pretty straightforward. It's literally just about the feeling of nostalgia.

literary nonsense doesn't actually mean "making no sense"

>Literary nonsense (or nonsense literature) is a broad categorization of literature that balances elements that make sense with some that do not, with the effect of subverting language conventions or logical reasoning.

>there are places I remember
>all my life, though some have changed
>some forever not for better
>some have gone, and some remain
>all these places have their moments
>with lovers and friends, I still can recall
>some are dead and some are living
>in my life, I loved them all
Which part of these lyrics are you having trouble understanding from a "logical reasoning" standpoint?

Oh sorry, I misread and thought you were talking about "In His Own Write" not "In My Life". I think what meant was that someone asked Lennon to write songs that were like his books, and he apparently he wrote "In My Life". It's not that the song makes no sense, it makes no sense that it was written in response to that request.

>It's not that the song makes no sense, it makes no sense that it was written in response to that request.
Oh, I see

Probably because The Beatles had nothing to say, they weren't political, didn't fight for or against anything, didn't want to push boundaries, weren't cultured enough to write good poetry, they are the world's no. 1 NPC band. If you want soulful lyrics, just stick to CCR and if you want a little added Shakespearian drama, go with The Doors.

they were for normies so if you had a relatively hard life you probably see beatles aesthetics as naiive

this

I'm not sure I would include Happiness Is A Warm Gun, or Girl on that list, but the rest of those songs most certainly have soul. (I guess it depends on what one's definition of "Soul" IS, though)
Which song are you referring to?
A lot of Beatles lyrics ARE considered poetry by millions. And what's wrong with judging a song by it's lyrics? I'll admit that lyrical content alone isn't the be all and end all of how good a song is, but I see nothing wrong with liking or not liking a song based on lyrical content.
>Beatles vs Kinks
Different train of thought and outlook.
I think The Beatles lyrics are just as soulful as anything The Kinks ever did. The Kinks were never going to put out Sgt. Pepper, but, on the other hand, The Beatles were never expected to put ot The Village Green Preservation Society, either. (And don't even get me started about The Moody Blues, or The Zombies)
Why would you not consider these songs/lyrics "Soulful"?

making art from your surroundings is literally sovl you american sow

And what song would that be?
Studying the song list, Here, There, and Everywhere isn't on there, but I think it's "soulful", even if it was just a Brain Wilson Spoof/tribute, but that's probably not the song you were thinking of, is it? And Your Bird Can Sing is also quite "soulful" if you ask me.
All three of John's books are lots of fun and a great read In My Life is definitely the polar opposite of what was in those books. That makes him very versatile.
No need to be harsh. OP DID point out what songs they thought had any soul, to be fair.
I think you might've misinterpreted what the user you are responding to was saying.
I think they meant that it made non sense to many people that John would write these silly, nonsensical books, and then come up with something as moving and introspective as In My Life. It would be akin to GG Allin put out an album of Raffi covers. That wouldn't make the least bit o sense either.