AJFA was Metallica's magnum opus!

>AJFA was Metallica's magnum opus!
>Proceeds to describe the album that came right after as worthless shit

Why are people like this? To what point was the black album musically inferior than the earlier stuff?

Attached: download.jpg (225x225, 3.6K)

>To what point was the black album musically inferior than the earlier stuff?
the point where the songs are the same length as the previous albums while having half the riffs or complexity.

Sad But True is literally 6:30 of the same verse and chorus. It only works because they're an extremely strong verse and chorus pair.

I like the black album, but it's an 8.5/10 or 9/10 while the previous three were 10/10

They simplified their songwriting to make it more radio/normie friendly. Some would say it's a dumbed down version of the band.

>To what point was the black album musically inferior
To the point where in 1991 Top 40 stations played 'Nothing Else Matters' sandwiched between Mariah Carey and EMF.

It is far from being shit, but the music is considerably simpler and the album is less consistent than the previous three releases.
People who hate the album mostly do so because the band became more radio-friendly though, it doesn't have a lot to do with judging the quality of the music for what it is.

This. Still love the album, and love it for being babbies first "metal" album (literally, I bought this shit from a store when I was 10... my next album was Ride the Lightning).
It just signified a transition into pop, basically. I'm not a "TRUE METALHEADā„¢", but I can see how longtime fans would've been pissed off/disappointed.

they betrayed their fans

The Black Album sounds like fucking caveman music compared to what came before. Compare Sad But True to literally anything off Master of Puppets, it's an entire album of WWE entrance themes.

It wasn't. A lot of fans were expecting more thrash metal, and were disappointed.
I thought, and still think the album is GOAT

who the fuck praises ajfa? they're both radio garbage

I like every Metallica album up to the Black Album. They're all good. Fuck everything after the Black Album though

first of all if you are on team ajfa and not team ride the lightning or master of puppets yr a pleb.
second , fuck off

I feel like tons of people share this thought, me too

Because POPULAR THING BAD, of course.

So explain then why more complexity is inherently better in music. You can't.

Black is better than ajfa

>Because POPULAR THING BAD, of course.
in metal, yes! absolutely!

31 million copies sold and counting for the seethe of thrash purists

Justice is pretty shitty
Last good one was Ride

>Why are people like this?
Metal heads define themselves by certain rules and expectations. This band helped create and define thrash metal, and then subverted expectations. Metal fans cannot reconcile this band were striving to level-up in terms of success every subsequent album.
When you have a Lars in your band, it is the difference between playing arenas and stadiums or playing bowling alleys and dive bars (see: Anvil).
>To what point was the black album musically inferior than the earlier stuff?
Not musically inferior as much as a premeditated decision to change their direction yet keeping aspects of their musical essence in the music. It's a level-up in songwriting craft and production, and a step back in visceral thrash musicality. Taylor Hawkins once remarked it's much harder to write a hit single than writing some kind of experimental music. There's some truth to that - if your goal is for broad reach. Timing helps too - it was almost too convenient that they abandoned metal entirely by 1996 - had they continued with the Justice sound, they'd be back to playing clubs. Lars wanted this band to be big; Hetfield was probably content to play to anyone regardless.
If you have a Lars-type in your band, you have a shrewd businessman who strives for success. Whether it's good or bad is entirely subjective.

I think the black album is much more responsible for the death of rock music than Nirvana was.

Attached: 1659542393229.jpg (1280x720, 119.52K)