How did they become the biggest band in the USSR?

How did they become the biggest band in the USSR?

>boring voice
>cheesy production on one end and cheap drum machines on the other
>none of the members except for the guitarist could play for shit
>lyrics are garbage
>image was just UK MTV core larp

Was it simply due to the good looks?

Attached: kino image 2.jpg (1000x805, 77.04K)

Other urls found in this thread:

youtu.be/vsl2-FN7XGs
youtube.com/watch?v=zx9QnCfXBxc
youtube.com/watch?v=ntkLAhJMmxk
youtube.com/watch?v=_O0m4PdQz8M
youtube.com/watch?v=wa0GeA2AsoU
youtube.com/watch?v=QtQZSkia-pk
youtube.com/watch?v=3rdK3HfLl0E
youtube.com/watch?v=DdNzC8MTzVo
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

Shut up user, they were pure kino!

I agree that production went shit on Gruppa Krovi and even more so past it with all the keys and synths and whatever
But they had sovl, a lot of sovl
youtu.be/vsl2-FN7XGs

>implying that Shevchuk wasn't the most sovlful Rock artist at the time

youtube.com/watch?v=zx9QnCfXBxc
youtube.com/watch?v=ntkLAhJMmxk
youtube.com/watch?v=_O0m4PdQz8M
youtube.com/watch?v=wa0GeA2AsoU
youtube.com/watch?v=QtQZSkia-pk
youtube.com/watch?v=3rdK3HfLl0E
youtube.com/watch?v=DdNzC8MTzVo

Attached: shevchuk.jpg (900x1200, 701.55K)

Doesnt кинo mean movie?
Why would you name a band that?

They said that it was easy to remember so they picked that.

bump 1

come on he's boring

Compared to Victor Tsoi monotone ass, he's Iggy Pop.

Because it was the USSR

The USSR had much better talents

Go listen to Gruppa Krovi and then say that. You are so wrong OP, Kino were one of the greatest bands of all time

to be so technically limited and still make powerful, moving music is just a testament to how good they were

Retard, I heard Gruppa Krovi like 50 times because it is the most NPC shit in Russia.

>Generic and cheap sounding Post-Punk with the outro being the only highlight
>Slightly more polished generic Post-Punk song
>Cheesy Synths over some wannabe Funk Rock with unneeded overly heavy guitar tone and lyrics that are Russian Chanson level bad
>The only legendary track
>Another good track (but not legendary)
>UB40 cosplay
>Shitty Perestroika anthem No. 1
>Shitty Perestroika anthem No. 2 (this time with a listenable chorus though)
>Gopnik Punk of the lowest, worst kind. This shit makes Objekt Nasmeshek and AU sound like Shostakovich.
>shitty Perestroika anthem no. 3
>The only song with good lyrics and the only other decent track

Three good tracks and a whole load of shit. This album falls flat in all departments. The musicianship is extremely stiff, the songwriting is basic and primitive (with Yuri Kasparian's guitar riffs being the only thing that develops these tracks). The production is shit even for Soviet standards.

>technically limited
They sold their credibility for a professional studio and cheesy 80s production. They recorded their stuff at Valeriy Leontev's spot (about as Pop as it gets in Russia). Its all really funny too because there were bands who managed to get a better sound at home-made studios.

"movie"="фильм", "кинo"="cinema\film".

Pure guess here but I think it was all about Viktor Tsoi. Also fact he died young.
I keep hearing comparisons he was like the Kurt Cobain of the USSR.
Speak to any middle-aged Russian/former Soviet and they will think fondly of him. I think he pushed the boundaries a lot for the time.

No. Shut the fuck up.

>was it simply the good looks?
yes. why else would you listen to kino. i want to fuck viktor tsoi

>he was like Kurt
How? There were plenty of Soviet artists who killed themselves and died young. If we are talking about popularity + dying young, the real Soviet Cobaine would be Bashlachev or Yanka (even if she was a woman).
>most Post-Soviet crowd is fond of him
My dad lived in Leningrad at that time and he told me how Tsoi was always considered Gopnik music and the kids of higher status (such as my family) would consider Kino Russian white trash core. It was only in the 00s when Tsoi got appropriated by the millennials.
>he pushed boundaries
In what? Post-Punk and New Wave was already a thing before Kino (Baltics, Sverdlovsk, LenPunk scenes). There wasn't much innovation in Kino. By the time Gruppa Krovi had came out, Soviet-Russian music was already heading into heavier and more experimental territories. Even if we talk about the social aspect, Tsoi never pulled a Grebenchikov in Tbilisi or Egor Letov with Adolf Hitler. Kino never had a real protest behind them like the LenPunk or Hard Wave bands at the time (Televizor, Alisa and so on) either.Tsoi didn't bring in any interesting Folk flavors like Chestyakov, Mamomov or Pekin Rou Rou. Kino was the safest protest band in the USSR. Kino's protest was meaningless and just a fad to hop on the Perestroika hype train. Kino is the Alexey Navalny of Punk. Meanwhile Letov was being kept prisoner in an insane asylum, Bad Boys and Otklonennye Ot were being threatened and censored by the KGB. There was some gay Joy Division clone for the regime to point at as an example of being "progressive". I am not saying Kino were "in" on it, but they were definitely used as a faux-protest band to spread a fake image of a new Soviet Union (together with shit like Va-Bank, Gorky Park, Aria and Brigada S).

>lyrics are garbage

Attached: udirtybastard.png (686x587, 308.4K)

so was he a sovmusic industry plant then?