Am I missing something?

IDK I feel like my younger years with this board at the height of the Death Grips/Neutral Milk Hotel/GY!BE hype is a different landscape. Am I just getting old or does the landscape of music feel less experimental? Am I missing something? Did the energy go somewhere else? I don't mean to sound boomerish but I feel like what is going on in music isn't as exciting as even the early 10's used to be.

Attached: hqdefault.jpg (480x360, 9.15K)

Other urls found in this thread:

youtu.be/Nv1fczbTV1Q
youtube.com/watch?v=uajTdgOUrXc
tiktok.com/@bmblackmidi/video/7109975465045101829?is_copy_url=1&is_from_webapp=v1
tiktok.com/@0piumjai/video/7087465223216434475?lang=en
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

Probably all the Any Forums people and generally younger people who came after 2016 just have a more pop common taste

It's not less experimental, but "experimental hip hop" of 2022 is probably going to have a sound you don't like. Music is most definitely less exciting, but you can thank streaming and the pandemic for that. Expect a rennaissance in music some time after the coming recession, because that's the environment that all of the 2010s indie darlings came out of after 2008

I think you bring up a good point. Maybe the whole "life imitates art" think does revolve around some kind of come up from a dark fucking period. What do we think is going to fill the "I am so starved for anything shiny" void?

experimental music is really leaning into being more pop compared to the 10's so that's likely why you find less interesting.

Any Forums has also become way more basic in recent years which doesn't help. Plenty of great music still coming out though.

I feel like the whole PC Music craze was what took the pop angle and ran with it. I don't disagree that there is still good music coming out. I just feel like it is out of the zeitgeist of what is being talked about in the places I am familiar with.

I think my main issue is most of the "new" stuff I am hearing is rehashing sounds and still reverberating off each other, without anything pushing each other forward.

half the deep kvlt experimenty types are doing what they do
the other half have earned their stripes and the fuck they want
i dont see a lot of experimenting unless i go look for it or someone drops some crumbs to follow and your recession / renaissance shit is bullshit

>boomer
>early 10's
PLEASE kill yourself, for the love of god

Do you think the fragmentation of different sources of music now has something to do with having to follow and find it?

As much as everyone used to troll TND, the music he focused on was much more varied than whatever strictly rap artist he praises/hates.

Damn is sarcasm that hard for you?

why are you still replying? i told you to kill yourself

I'm in the same boat, but after listening to this and some lingua ignota did I get that "holy shit" feeling again.

youtu.be/Nv1fczbTV1Q

how will I ever recover?

youtube.com/watch?v=uajTdgOUrXc
Also a good one.

you won't, now do us all a favor and commit suicide already

This ain't half bad

I think it's because of 100 Gecs, Tik Tok, and Streaming. Let me explain. First off, Tik Tok and Streaming are responsible for being main contributors to the algorithmization of viral perfection within music that is consumed by the masses. Basically, now if your song doesn't have at least some super virally sounding part to it, it's basically not going to be heard. As a result, music today is made to conform to the algorithms perfect wishes, rather than true soulful experimental source from the heart. Even Any Forums's fan favorite Black Midi, while making their songs, thinks of ways to compromise their sound to achieve something viral on a media platform like TikTok.
Example: tiktok.com/@bmblackmidi/video/7109975465045101829?is_copy_url=1&is_from_webapp=v1
Why would they compose that shitty ass song any other way? Because they think it sounds good? or because it would be easy to incorporate into a viral dancing tik tok?
That's just one example that I just thought of and there are countless others.
Now to 100 Gecs. It's not that I think they're the worst thing ever, It's just that they are the worst thing ever to the point that it's completely killed any hype towards any up-and-coming underground artist that uses any hyper effects similar to Gecs. Anybody here remember Dorian Electra the next big underground artist? No? Me either.

Something BIG has to happen for music to really change at this point. I mean, music is now all so similar and boring now people are literally starving for something new to the point that just adding a big bell to a generic as rappers track (Yeat) makes people go insane over it. It's not like his songs are that great or anything is just literally 1 thing that's different enough for people to be entertained, plus it's super easy to make viral TikTok's over. Example: tiktok.com/@0piumjai/video/7087465223216434475?lang=en

Basically Death Grips just needs to come back and win the whole board and music scene over again..

you're old and death grips was never tat good

I think you're sort of on to something with the Tik Tok comparison. A ~5 second clip has to have something familiar to grab the little attention left.

Maybe there is a lack of artists who can pull the same thing off with the feeling of anger/scared/alien you would get from picking a random 30 sec off a song off an album

even though its pretty autismo to write an essay like this, it's pretty bang on

it's not a culture problem (as much as the gen z haters on this board want to think). it's a tech problem. tiktok pretty much forces artists to build their music around bite-sized pieces

and the general anti-capitalist sentiment right now has people deluded into thinking "fuck billionaires" = "fuck buying anything". or they just pirate it. the end result is there's really no money anywhere else - artists are p much forced to play the lottery and hope they go viral on tiktok

im hoping recess gets bigger and stays how it is. that approach is the only way to beat this shit and get good music again

stfu

Just wait until you realize all those artists are shit and that the energy left long before you were born.

Didn't you hear? Music is saved.

Attached: BM_CD_front_square_grande.jpg (600x600, 183.09K)

Zoomers don't know good music and Doomers don't either. This place should just be turned into a K-Pop containment board.